Tennessee OC Laws

This is a discussion on Tennessee OC Laws within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pistology I've seen open carry but not here, in Nashville. SA is key. If thugs targeting the gun of OC is a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tennessee OC Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    I've seen open carry but not here, in Nashville. SA is key. If thugs targeting the gun of OC is a myth, then thugs with x-ray vision is doubtful, but I'm not putting it past 'em. I'll take any margin of safety I can get.
    I didn't say they had X-Ray vision Pistology.

But I have talked to quite a few gang members. (143 separate street gangs confirmed operating in Memphis ) The ones I have talked to, and the police officers I have spoken to about this all pretty much confirm what I said. They are pretty good at spotting someone concealing a hand gun. And I have read interviews with incarcerated gang members where they have stated that they would pass a place they intended to rob if they know for sure that someone inside was armed.

Just passing along what I have read and heard for myself first hand.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

I live here in Desoto County, MS which might as well be part of Memphis and I agree with what TN Mike has said. I think more should carry openly. I do not pretend to be a LEO but if you carry yourself well and OC, gangbangers will definately think twice IMHO. Come June 1, I may start going out to dinner in Memphis again.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Concealed carry is only a marginal extra level of security at best. At worst it puts in a false sense of security. You may think you are not underestimating thugs but if you for one second think they can't tell you are carrying concealed you are fooling yourself. Gang members and street thugs are very good at spotting people who CC.

Open carry is 100% legal in Tennessee. All of Tennessee. No matter what some small town Police Chief or Mayor may say, it is state law and local law does not supersede it.

The TN carry permit is a Handgun Carry Permit, NOT a Concealed Carry Permit. This is because the law that created the permit system specifically states that the open carrying of a hand gun is legal.

I live in Shelby County, I OC the majority of the time, perhaps 85% or more in the months where it is warm. I have never been hassled by anyone, citizen or LEO. I have had only positive comments by both.

I realize some instructors say don't do it but I disagree. The more of us open carry, the more the Sheeple get used to the fact that there are a lot of us citizens out here armed and it isn't a bad thing.

It is not uncommon here in Shelby county, at least parts of it, to see people open carrying. I know of more than 20 people other than myself in the small town I live in who open carry. And none of us, either here in this town or on Memphis or the surrounding suburbs, have ever been attacked by a thug for our gun. I have honestly never even heard of that happening. I believe it is a myth.
    Slow is steady and steady is fast.

I have to agree with TN mike as well. I live in Sevierville.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy View Post
    Ah, so you're the reason it's posted at the main entrance now huh?

I've carried there too because I went in through Sears, and it's not posted on their door. It wasn't until I went through the main entrance one day that I noticed it was a "no self defense" zone.

I guess it's legal to carry in some of the stores but not the "common" areas of the mall? I haven't been there in probably two months, ever since I saw they had it posted I decided that they didn't need my business anymore. It's a shady area after dark anyway.
    Yes, sir. I am the one that did it. Here is the story: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tennessee.html Every time you see that sign, think of me.

The signs mean nothing. You can walk into Sears and into the mall without seeing a sign. The sign, while the correct one, has no legal bearing per the law as it is not posted at all entrances.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Now and then I'll see someone OC'ing in Atoka, then again there aren't a whole lot of folks here or places to see people out and about. Kroger, Autozone, Sonic, the Movie Theater......according to the Commercial Appeal a very high percentage of this little town has a permit. I've seen a couple in Millington at Walmart and Lowes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    I've seen open carry but not here, in Nashville. SA is key. If thugs targeting the gun of OC is a myth, then thugs with x-ray vision is doubtful, but I'm not putting it past 'em. I'll take any margin of safety I can get.
    Then I must say, you have not been anywhere I am. :)

I openly carry 100% of the time in Nashville. I live in East Nashville and OC in my neighborhood and in downtown (where I work). Except for an OC get together I helped to organize, I've never seen anyone OC in Nashville, either, but know of at least 6-7 others who do so on a regular basis.

MNPD has never hassled me for OC, nor has any officer asked for my permit when they see me walking around.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Thugs and Criminals in general are COWARDS!
    "Cowards" in general, will not usually attack someone with a gun. (Even if the cowards are armed themselves.)

The "criminal" mindset is to go after "easy" prey/targets. (They're after sheep!)

When you OC, the BG's see you as a "predator" willing to "prey" on THEM by fighting back!

You become a known "HARD" target and the BG's go looking for "Sheep le".

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Thugs and Criminals in general are COWARDS!
    "Cowards" in general, will not usually attack someone with a gun. (Even if the cowards are armed themselves.)

The "criminal" mindset is to go after "easy" prey/targets. (They're after sheep!)

When you OC, the BG's see you as a "predator" willing to "prey" on THEM by fighting back!

You become a known "HARD" target and the BG's go looking for "Sheep le".
    I agree.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I agree.
    I don't remember any stories where the wolf attacked the sheepdog...I'm just sayin'....
    Concealed carry has its place, but I do agree with TN Mike in that if more see citizens who are openly armed, they will have less of a tendency to run and jump off the cliff.

FL doesn't let us OC...that's OK. I might try it in MI this summer.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links