Tennessee OC Laws

This is a discussion on Tennessee OC Laws within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to know if OC is legal in TN. I CC all the time, but it didn't occur to me until recently to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Tennessee OC Laws

  1. #1
    Member Array heater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Columbia, TN
    Posts
    64

    Tennessee OC Laws

    I would like to know if OC is legal in TN. I CC all the time, but it didn't occur to me until recently to ask about OC. I am new to this stuff and fairly new to TN.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Senior Member Array FlyboyLDB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    864
    Yes it is. But some do get hassled.

  4. #3

  5. #4
    Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere near Nashville
    Posts
    1,271
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    Yes it is. But some do get hassled.
    That about sums it up. How much you get hassled by the sheep at large or nervous police seems to depend on where in the state you are too. Knoxville (West knox especially) for example seems to be a tough spot, with lots of antis/sheep that wouldn't hesitate to make a "man with a gun" call, whereas in some other areas, I hear folks don't bat an eye.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

  6. #5
    Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere near Nashville
    Posts
    1,271
    You beat me to it again, flyboy!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

  7. #6
    Distinguished Member
    Array Pistology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    South Coast LA Cty
    Posts
    1,998
    My permit class instructor advised not to open carry as it exposes one to greater risk of attack by thugs who want a gun - sort of like wearing a money clip on your belt. No doubt you thought about this and are capable of choosing when and where to open carry. It's not something that I would do - especially not where there's a crowd.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

  8. #7
    Member Array SweetSig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    146
    I have a very good friend who is a Detective in Tennessee, and his advice is just conceal it. You more than likely will have a LEO stop you at some point and I prefer to maintain a low-pro status. Sure it can be a tool to inform people of their 2A rights, but I'm not carrying it to educate (unless a guy tries to hurt me or mine, then I WILL educate said individual on our 2A rights.)
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

    "...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

  9. #8
    Senior Member Array FlyboyLDB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    My permit class instructor advised not to open carry as it exposes one to greater risk of attack by thugs who want a gun - sort of like wearing a money clip on your belt. No doubt you thought about this and are capable of choosing when and where to open carry. It's not something that I would do - especially not where there's a crowd.
    I'll respectfully disagree on this. People do not go after people with guns - in general.

    I OC approx 10-15% of the time. Usually just easier as far as dress is concerned. Thugs don't go looking for people carrying. And like most people, thugs will never even notice. If they are on "Thug" patrol, they usually have a task already at hand.

  10. #9
    Distinguished Member
    Array Pistology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    South Coast LA Cty
    Posts
    1,998
    Pardon any presumptions, but I never underestimate the thugishness of a thug. I consider concealment an extra layer of retention security - hopefully not false security. But it's an issue for me. I'd like to clarify this with my permit instructor because I understood him to say that OC is not something one should do - even though it is perfectly legal in TN.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

  11. #10
    Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Tennessee
    Posts
    1,464
    Tennessee law does not distinguish a weapon carried openly and a weapon carried concealed.

    I've open carried all over West Tennessee, including downtown Memphis, and have only had a problem at the mall in Jackson.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

  12. #11
    Senior Member Array FlyboyLDB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Pardon any presumptions, but I never underestimate the thugishness of a thug. I consider concealment an extra layer of retention security - hopefully not false security. But it's an issue for me. I'd like to clarify this with my permit instructor because I understood him to say that OC is not something one should do - even though it is perfectly legal in TN.
    I have heard of people and instructors giving this claim. But I do not know of a single incident related to an someone OCing having their gun taken. I guess it could happen - has happened to LEOs. If one is that concerned - go with a Black Hawk Serpa. It is highly unlikely anyone would take a gun from this holster. But I have no issues keeping it concealed - just don't do it because of mis-information.

  13. #12
    Member Array Wiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Tennessee law does not distinguish a weapon carried openly and a weapon carried concealed.

    I've open carried all over West Tennessee, including downtown Memphis, and have only had a problem at the mall in Jackson.
    Ah, so you're the reason it's posted at the main entrance now huh?

    I've carried there too because I went in through Sears, and it's not posted on their door. It wasn't until I went through the main entrance one day that I noticed it was a "no self defense" zone.

    I guess it's legal to carry in some of the stores but not the "common" areas of the mall? I haven't been there in probably two months, ever since I saw they had it posted I decided that they didn't need my business anymore. It's a shady area after dark anyway.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Pardon any presumptions, but I never underestimate the thugishness of a thug. I consider concealment an extra layer of retention security - hopefully not false security. But it's an issue for me. I'd like to clarify this with my permit instructor because I understood him to say that OC is not something one should do - even though it is perfectly legal in TN.
    Concealed carry is only a marginal extra level of security at best. At worst it puts in a false sense of security. You may think you are not underestimating thugs but if you for one second think they can't tell you are carrying concealed you are fooling yourself. Gang members and street thugs are very good at spotting people who CC.

    Open carry is 100% legal in Tennessee. All of Tennessee. No matter what some small town Police Chief or Mayor may say, it is state law and local law does not supersede it.

    The TN carry permit is a Handgun Carry Permit, NOT a Concealed Carry Permit. This is because the law that created the permit system specifically states that the open carrying of a hand gun is legal.

    I live in Shelby County, I OC the majority of the time, perhaps 85% or more in the months where it is warm. I have never been hassled by anyone, citizen or LEO. I have had only positive comments by both.

    I realize some instructors say don't do it but I disagree. The more of us open carry, the more the Sheeple get used to the fact that there are a lot of us citizens out here armed and it isn't a bad thing.

    It is not uncommon here in Shelby county, at least parts of it, to see people open carrying. I know of more than 20 people other than myself in the small town I live in who open carry. And none of us, either here in this town or on Memphis or the surrounding suburbs, have ever been attacked by a thug for our gun. I have honestly never even heard of that happening. I believe it is a myth.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

  15. #14
    Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Southwest, TN
    Posts
    1,246
    Ditto what TnMike said...I OC in my hometown of Collierville and in Memphis. I also do not believe someone is going to attack me because I'm openly carrying a gun.

    If I were the type of person that wanted to pick a fight with someone or take their posessions...it would not be the guy with a gun on his hip!!!

  16. #15
    Distinguished Member
    Array Pistology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    South Coast LA Cty
    Posts
    1,998
    I've seen open carry but not here, in Nashville. SA is key. If thugs targeting the gun of OC is a myth, then thugs with x-ray vision is doubtful, but I'm not putting it past 'em. I'll take any margin of safety I can get.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Tennessee - "Carry At Work" Laws?
    By SpringerXD in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2011, 09:48 PM
  2. Tennessee Senate OKs change in gun laws
    By Agape in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 29th, 2009, 01:40 PM
  3. Tennessee Especially, Open Records Laws in General
    By falcon1 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 28th, 2007, 05:57 PM
  4. Tennessee State Trooper Slain in West Tennessee
    By falcon1 in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 7th, 2007, 01:47 PM
  5. Tennessee CCW laws
    By kimber 45 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 13th, 2006, 08:31 AM

Search tags for this page

carry permit coumbia,tn

,
oc group knoxville tn
,

oc laws

,
oc legislation
,
sevierville tennessee city ordinances & concealed carry permit
,
tennessee oc law
,

tennessee oc laws

,

tn defensive carry permit attacks

,
tnstate law specifically authorizes peace officers to carry concealed anywhere
Click on a term to search for related topics.