Tennessee OC Laws

This is a discussion on Tennessee OC Laws within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to know if OC is legal in TN. I CC all the time, but it didn't occur to me until recently to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee OC Laws

Tennessee OC Laws

I would like to know if OC is legal in TN. I CC all the time, but it didn't occur to me until recently to ask about OC. I am new to this stuff and fairly new to TN.

2. Remove Ads

Yes it is. But some do get hassled.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    Yes it is. But some do get hassled.
    That about sums it up. How much you get hassled by the sheep at large or nervous police seems to depend on where in the state you are too. Knoxville (West knox especially) for example seems to be a tough spot, with lots of antis/sheep that wouldn't hesitate to make a "man with a gun" call, whereas in some other areas, I hear folks don't bat an eye.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    You beat me to it again, flyboy!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member
    My permit class instructor advised not to open carry as it exposes one to greater risk of attack by thugs who want a gun - sort of like wearing a money clip on your belt. No doubt you thought about this and are capable of choosing when and where to open carry. It's not something that I would do - especially not where there's a crowd.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I have a very good friend who is a Detective in Tennessee, and his advice is just conceal it. You more than likely will have a LEO stop you at some point and I prefer to maintain a low-pro status. Sure it can be a tool to inform people of their 2A rights, but I'm not carrying it to educate (unless a guy tries to hurt me or mine, then I WILL educate said individual on our 2A rights.)
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    My permit class instructor advised not to open carry as it exposes one to greater risk of attack by thugs who want a gun - sort of like wearing a money clip on your belt. No doubt you thought about this and are capable of choosing when and where to open carry. It's not something that I would do - especially not where there's a crowd.
    I'll respectfully disagree on this. People do not go after people with guns - in general.

I OC approx 10-15% of the time. Usually just easier as far as dress is concerned. Thugs don't go looking for people carrying. And like most people, thugs will never even notice. If they are on "Thug" patrol, they usually have a task already at hand.

Distinguished Member
    Pardon any presumptions, but I never underestimate the thugishness of a thug. I consider concealment an extra layer of retention security - hopefully not false security. But it's an issue for me. I'd like to clarify this with my permit instructor because I understood him to say that OC is not something one should do - even though it is perfectly legal in TN.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Tennessee law does not distinguish a weapon carried openly and a weapon carried concealed.

I've open carried all over West Tennessee, including downtown Memphis, and have only had a problem at the mall in Jackson.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Pardon any presumptions, but I never underestimate the thugishness of a thug. I consider concealment an extra layer of retention security - hopefully not false security. But it's an issue for me. I'd like to clarify this with my permit instructor because I understood him to say that OC is not something one should do - even though it is perfectly legal in TN.
    I have heard of people and instructors giving this claim. But I do not know of a single incident related to an someone OCing having their gun taken. I guess it could happen - has happened to LEOs. If one is that concerned - go with a Black Hawk Serpa. It is highly unlikely anyone would take a gun from this holster. But I have no issues keeping it concealed - just don't do it because of mis-information.

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Tennessee law does not distinguish a weapon carried openly and a weapon carried concealed.

I've open carried all over West Tennessee, including downtown Memphis, and have only had a problem at the mall in Jackson.
    Ah, so you're the reason it's posted at the main entrance now huh?

I've carried there too because I went in through Sears, and it's not posted on their door. It wasn't until I went through the main entrance one day that I noticed it was a "no self defense" zone.

I guess it's legal to carry in some of the stores but not the "common" areas of the mall? I haven't been there in probably two months, ever since I saw they had it posted I decided that they didn't need my business anymore. It's a shady area after dark anyway.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

Concealed carry is only a marginal extra level of security at best. At worst it puts in a false sense of security. You may think you are not underestimating thugs but if you for one second think they can't tell you are carrying concealed you are fooling yourself. Gang members and street thugs are very good at spotting people who CC.

Open carry is 100% legal in Tennessee. All of Tennessee. No matter what some small town Police Chief or Mayor may say, it is state law and local law does not supersede it.

The TN carry permit is a Handgun Carry Permit, NOT a Concealed Carry Permit. This is because the law that created the permit system specifically states that the open carrying of a hand gun is legal.

I live in Shelby County, I OC the majority of the time, perhaps 85% or more in the months where it is warm. I have never been hassled by anyone, citizen or LEO. I have had only positive comments by both.

I realize some instructors say don't do it but I disagree. The more of us open carry, the more the Sheeple get used to the fact that there are a lot of us citizens out here armed and it isn't a bad thing.

It is not uncommon here in Shelby county, at least parts of it, to see people open carrying. I know of more than 20 people other than myself in the small town I live in who open carry. And none of us, either here in this town or on Memphis or the surrounding suburbs, have ever been attacked by a thug for our gun. I have honestly never even heard of that happening. I believe it is a myth.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Ditto what TnMike said...I OC in my hometown of Collierville and in Memphis. I also do not believe someone is going to attack me because I'm openly carrying a gun.

If I were the type of person that wanted to pick a fight with someone or take their posessions...it would not be the guy with a gun on his hip!!!

Distinguished Member
    I've seen open carry but not here, in Nashville. SA is key. If thugs targeting the gun of OC is a myth, then thugs with x-ray vision is doubtful, but I'm not putting it past 'em. I'll take any margin of safety I can get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links