Asked to leave...in VA!

This is a discussion on Asked to leave...in VA! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by miklcolt45 Don't like the restaurant and their service? Tell the management and don't go back. But, don't dump on a server who ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asked to leave...in VA!

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Don't like the restaurant and their service? Tell the management and don't go back. But, don't dump on a server who is working his/her butt off and can't control management or the kitchen help.

My way more than $.02.
    My kids worked as servers for a couple years as well. I feel your pain, but the server is the "face" of a restuarant or bar. If I get lousy food, slow service, or a screwed up order, I can't easily go back and chew on the cook, and asking for the front-of-house is often time-consuming and non-productive.

I eat out all the time and normally tip 20% for regular (not super) service. If my stuff is egregiously wrong, sadly, the server gets a lousy (or no) tip. Life isn't fair, but it isn't my job to go deep into the restaurant's personnel department to let them know they suck.

The sever has to keep an eye out for me in the kitchen and help ensure the order is timely and accurate. I'm not busting through the swinging doors for a finger-pointing session with the entire staff. I vote with my wallet.

2. Remove Ads

You only have two choices, stay concealed (which you might not be able to do by law), or...leave and take your money with you. I'd let the business know that you won't be back.
    I agree with the other posters, don't take it out on the servers as they are already being punished (they work for peanuts).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The servers should have known the policy, basically becuase they didnt say anything up front your night out was ruined and in my opinion you had every right to pay the bill and leave (no tips).

You were not causing any issues, abiding by your state law and this manager decides to give you a hard time despite sitting on a gold mine of 18-20 paying customers.

Obviously his business is doing so well he didnt need your custom, recession ? not at the Market Bar and Grill obviously.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another take on the tipping issue. If I'm the patron in this situation, I don't tip. The manager asked me to leave, so it's up to the waiter to have the manager take my sales off his tally. He's out the time it took to wait on me, but at least he won't have to pay tipshare and taxes on sales that didn't materialize. I hate he wasted his time, but I agree with the other posters that he should have known the policy. If he didn't know it before he won't forget it now.

VIP Member
    In Tennessee, if one is asked to leave (of course, we won't know if we can carry legally in on-the-site-consumption restaurants for a few more days yet), delaying compliance for any reason might be the foundation of a criminal-trespass charge.

I hate it for the server; but, in this instance, I must agree that the server should have known the policy and should have had the manager address the situation immediately before any orders were taken. If the manager flew by the seat of his pants, well...if I am asked to leave a place on business, I will comply immediately--Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You only have two choices, stay concealed (which you might not be able to do by law), or...leave and take your money with you. I'd let the business know that you won't be back.
    I agree with the other posters, don't take it out on the servers as they are already being punished (they work for peanuts).
    Agreed with leaving...but again...for the servers, they are there BY CHOICE! I hate to drag this thread into this debate, but it seems everyone on here lately is asking for handouts or expects someone else to come up with the green for their shortcomings.
    1. Most servers get paid dirt! We all know it so there's no point in arguing it.
    2. They are working of their own volition in their chosen profession.
    3. They SIGNED an agreement with their employer for an agreed upon rate of pay for their services rendered.

Don't like the pay? You have choices:
    1. Work longer, faster, and better than all your peers and get a raise
    2. Find another job that pays better
    3. Study study study in your off hours for another profession that pays better, get another job, and quit the one that you feel is underpaying you
    4. Suck it up and deal with it.
    5. Quit without a new job lined up and become a thieving moocher like a good 35% of our society.

As for those that say "try finding another job in this economy"... That's one heck of a BS excuse. I DID! I studied my ARS off late/overnight for many months while working full time at an employer that I felt was not recognizing the quality work I was putting in and not paying me as such either. Once convinced I knew what I was studying and practicing inside and out, I applied for a job at another company for a different job role making much much more money. When it came down to the interview time, I walked the talk and got the job.

And yes, there are still companies hiring in the tech sector(at least in the MD, VA, and DC areas). I know for sure that they are because the last few weeks I've been getting together with old/former coworkers and I've had a number of requests for passing along folks resumes for OPEN positions and we're talking in the $90-100k+ range.

This was all when the banks were all failing and darn near everyone had already started hiring freezes. I've only been in my current position for a few months now. ...And I don't have a college degree...I'm a dropout.

If you're worried or annoyed about not making anything as a server, you have only yourself to blame.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

You never know how the sheeple will react to seeing a wepon. +1 on letting the manager know he will not be getting ant more money from you.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

This has never happened to me, but if I am ever asked to leave an eating establish through no fault of my own I will leave as everything stands at that time -- if my food it not finished - it doesn't get finished, if I haven't yet paid - they don't get paid, if I haven't yet tipped - no tip, their decision - not mine!

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Definitely write a letter to corporate. They may then realize they have a jerk for a manager or a stupid policy.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Actually, not even close on the tip issue.
    All 4 of my children have worked as servers in the food industry at one time or another. 3 of the 4 are now professionals in other areas, and the 4th is still a server.

She came home from work a few nights ago, very upset.
    She had 12 tables. 5 of them did not tip her because the food came out wrong. It was ordered properly, the kitchen screwed it up. Her particular restaurant has had problems with this before. She tells management. Nothing is done.

If you have a problem with the server, tell the server, then management if you think it is necessary.
    If you have a problem with the food, tell the server, then management. More than likely you will get something comped, it won't hurt the server if they did not cause the problem. And management will know what the real issue is. I have never had issues with how food was cooked, or how long it took, that management did not do something to make up for the problem.

Establishments like restaurants cannot fix the issue if they don't know what it is. I suggest that the management be told in a courteous, but firm, manner. And things will almost always be rectified.

Finally, go out and see how easy it is to find other jobs in this economy. Don't like the restaurant and their service? Tell the management and don't go back. But, don't dump on a server who is working his/her butt off and can't control management or the kitchen help.

My way more than $.02.

I understand where you are coming from,. One of my ex's G/F's waited tables at Cracker Barrel and we used to debate this all the time.. I just don't agree with the idea that someone get's something that isn't warranted,. When I give a tip, it isn't only for the server,. I know that the bus boy, hostess & restraunt gets a cut of the tip,.. A good place of bussiness and good server's will get a great tip from me,. But I'm not a confrontational person, I'm not one that sends my food back to be recooked, if I ordered something and it taste bad, I'm not one that complain,.. Same as if I'm treated bad at a gun shop, I just don't go back,.. If I'm treated good, I'm not one that ask for a special price or when the next sale is coming up,.. I pay what is far, and if I never come back or walk out before buying something,. Chances are the serves wasn't what I expected.. (or deserve)

Quote Originally Posted by nkanofolives View Post
    In VA and most states, servers are paid below minimum wage (here in VA it is $2.13 per hour).
    And that's not the fault of the customers, so no guilt trip is obliged.

The loss extends well beyond the establishment's management making a statement, as this clearly shows. This is merely one of the costs of having such an anti-upstanding-citizen policy.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Since the server was the one that brought it all on, no tip, I leave...I tip well if the service is good. If the service sux, I tip accordingly.....
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

It sucks that you were treated that way, the security guard sounds a little extreme to be worried about a pocket knife, must have been a really slow day.
    I would not take it out on the server/ bartender or whoever. They did their job and don't deserve to be treated badly for their stupid company policy, a policy that they probably don't even agree with. If it was the server that told the manager than I wouldn't tip them a penny and make sure that they knew why. If it was the server, what a moron ! why in the world make your customers mad, especially a big party, dummy !
    Would you tell us the name of this place ? I won't go to th restaurant either if they have a no gun policy, just on principle. Definitely write the letter to corporate and please post it here . It would be helpful, in case I, or anyone else ever needs to write one of those letters to see what others have written. Thanks.

You should make a note of this on Friend or Foe - TheSecond.us .

Do keep us updated on the progress and/or responses you get. Next time you and a group of friends want to eat in the Reston area, I understand that Champps Americana is very OC friendly.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
    This has never happened to me, but if I am ever asked to leave an eating establish through no fault of my own I will leave as everything stands at that time -- if my food it not finished - it doesn't get finished, if I haven't yet paid - they don't get paid, if I haven't yet tipped - no tip, their decision - not mine!

Bobo
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links