No longer being harassed by police for OCing; could it be true?

This is a discussion on No longer being harassed by police for OCing; could it be true? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by doobie I conceal carry sometimes, but the more I was harassed by the police the more I felt I needed to open ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No longer being harassed by police for OCing; could it be true?

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by doobie View Post
    I conceal carry sometimes, but the more I was harassed by the police the more I felt I needed to open carry.
    Does that help you protect yourself and your family? It is fascinating that some enjoy negative attention. Maybe you can initiate a lawsuit and get rich if you are asked for identification. Wouldn't that be fun?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Does that help you protect yourself and your family? It is fascinating that some enjoy negative attention. Maybe you can initiate a lawsuit and get rich if you are asked for identification. Wouldn't that be fun?
    It might just be meant to be a reminder to the government that laws apply to them too. If the police or any other government agency does not like a law they should change try to change it. They should not use their powers to harrass or punish those who are following the law.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I think that carrying the gun out in the open already has the advertising part covered.

I think the idea of the T-shirt is funny.

I usually carry concealed but maybe I should get one of those shirts and open carry more.

Doobie, ya' done good!
    Then you would be a man with a gun and a funny tee shirt and an agenda other than defending yourself and your loved ones.

Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    They ask me for identification whenever they have stopped me. Actually they ask for my either ID or just my name. Only the first two times did I provide it to them. Since then I've always refused.

If the officer who has stopped me twice already stops me again, I will likely file a harassment lawsuit against them.
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Then you would be a man with a gun and a funny tee shirt and an agenda other than defending yourself and your loved ones.
    You are absolutely correct. Sometimes I have an agenda of educating people about carrying a firearm. So far, the results have been very encouraging (I live in anti-gun Northern Virginia just outside of DC).

Not completely serious about the T-shirt, though. I just thought it was funny.

Usually, my open carry attire includes a shirt with a seal that says "NRA Certified Instructor".
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

LOVE the shirt! I might have to remind the wife that my birthday is coming up soon!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Originally Posted by wmhawth
    You are absolutely correct. Sometimes I have an agenda of educating people about carrying a firearm. So far, the results have been very encouraging (I live in anti-gun Northern Virginia just outside of DC).

Not completely serious about the T-shirt, though. I just thought it was funny.

Usually, my open carry attire includes a shirt with a seal that says "NRA Certified Instructor".
    As I have said; "To each his own". As for me, the gun I carry is for the sole purpose of protecting myself and my loved ones. I don't advertise, broadcast, or do things to draw attention to the fact that I'm carrying and I'm unconvinced that to do so helps our cause. Once again though; "To each his own".

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    As I have said; "To each his own". As for me, the gun I carry is for the sole purpose of protecting myself and my loved ones. I don't advertise, broadcast, or do things to draw attention to the fact that I'm carrying and I'm unconvinced that to do so helps our cause. Once again though; "To each his own".
    Understood. But your comments make one wonder why you post to a subforum called "Open Carry Issues and Discussions" when the rules say "This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry."

Your turn.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Understood. But your comments make one wonder why you post to a subforum called "Open Carry Issues and Discussions" when the rules say "This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry."

Your turn.
    Yeah. Guess I'm getting too close to debating the pros and cons of open carry vs concealed carry. Sorry about that. It was the tee shirt thing that drew me in.

So much animosity between the OCers and the CCers. It's straight out of West Side Story. I wanna be on whichever side names themselves "The Sharks".

I'm perfectly fine with OC or CC. Typically I CC due to work, but there are time where I will CC without much emphasis on the first C. I figure if you OC you're already broadcasting, so why not have a funny shirt? Jerks have funny shirts. Perverts have funny shirts. Morons have funny shirts. Why not OCers?
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

I like the T-shirt idea. I know a guy that's constantly hassled in Seattle for open carry (part of me wonders if he's trying to pay off his student loans through legal action). I'm going to forward your idea to him.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links