Questioned about OC

This is a discussion on Questioned about OC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When open carrying and asked if you are a cop, are any of the following answers good to use in order to keep the crazies ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questioned about OC

Questioned about OC

When open carrying and asked if you are a cop, are any of the following answers good to use in order to keep the crazies from calling 911?
    1. “Loss Prevention Agent” – We are carrying in order to prevent loss of life (ours and our families).
    2. “Protective Service” or just “Body Guard” – We can claim “client confidentiality” when asked who we protect.

Just my thoughts.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Any answer but "yes" would be usable.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Just say......... "My name is SUE"

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by bobkat View Post
    When open carrying and asked if you are a cop, are any of the following answers good to use in order to keep the crazies from calling 911?
    1. “Loss Prevention Agent” – We are carrying in order to prevent loss of life (ours and our families).
    2. “Protective Service” or just “Body Guard” – We can claim “client confidentiality” when asked who we protect.

Just my thoughts.
    Crazies will call 911 regardless if you are plain cloths. Whenever I'm asked, I usually say no. If the conversation extends beyond that and they ask why, my usual answers are either: I can't afford a body guard or I haven't found a police officer that fits in my pocket.

I've been unlawfully detained by the police in a local town I believe 4 times in the past 6 months. Twice by the same officer. If he stops me again I'm filing a harassment lawsuit.
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

Quote Originally Posted by doobie View Post
    I've been unlawfully detained by the police in a local town I believe 4 times in the past 6 months. Twice by the same officer. If he stops me again I'm filing a harassment lawsuit.
    Do you carry a voice recorder when you open carry? It sounds like harassment to me. He probaly figures he can wear you down and you won't carry any more.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

Quote Originally Posted by Stealie View Post
    Do you carry a voice recorder when you open carry? It sounds like harassment to me. He probaly figures he can wear you down and you won't carry any more.
    Probably want to use caution here. Some statutes may prohibit recording a conversation without the person's permission.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Lying is not okay! If they ask and you are not LEO, then don't lie or mislead. I have no problem dialoging with someone who wonders why I carry. My favorite line is to combine the idea that "when seconds count, the police are only minutes away" with the idea that a cop is too heavy to carry in my pocket.

I have personally found that I rarely run into really anti-gun people (AZ is still the wild west!), and when someone asks they usually can be brought around with a little humor and respect for their ideas and opinions. Those who cannot be reasoned with will not be reasonable regardless.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by bobkat View Post

Just my thoughts.
    "No" is sufficient.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

When ever I'm asked if I am a cop I plainly state "nope". 100% of the time so far they immediately ask "why do you have a gun then?". Then I have set my self up for a good opportunity to educate an other person on gun rights. Actually, there has only been a couple ppl who didn't think I was a cop, last person was just an older person couple days ago. He just approached me and asked how he could get a permit to carry "one of those".

Recording Laws

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    Probably want to use caution here. Some statutes may prohibit recording a conversation without the person's permission.
    This brings up a valid point of discussion. I'm not an attorney but I'll put it in "layman's" terms as best I can. Some states are "one party" recording laws while others are "two party" recording states.

Simply put, if your state has statutes & laws that permit recording with only ONE person aware that recording is occurring this is legal.

If your state is a "two party" recording state you are REQUIRED by law to notify that person that they are being recorded. If you record them without their knowledge that most likely is illegal.

Again, I'm not an attorney so research the laws of your state regarding recording conversations. If your state is a "one person" recording state you should be able to record the conversation without the other person's knowledge.

This is my opinion FWIW!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

You Police

Best responce is with a question, do you mean local or state. If asked which, respond niether. If asked again, respond with either, I'm legal or MYOB.
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

Are you a cop or somethin'?

...or somethin'!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I just say I am in corporate security.....

OK Ill expand on that--
    I do work in security and all my customers are corporate types.....hehehehe

http://home.rr.com/cableguy
    Favorite recent Quote:
    "As long as I'm prosecutor, if someone comes into a store with a gun – and I've said it before and I'll say it again – they have forfeited their right not to be shot,"
    Hamilton County, Ohio - prosecutor; Joe Deters

I wouldn't try to put a "spin" on your carrying. I mean; why do this? It certainly doesn't do anything but enhance your own ego.

If asked, say "No."
    If asked "Why do you carry then?" Tell them that you are one of the good guys and it's legal.
    Beyond that, it's up to you whether you want to take the time to educate them on the law and our rights.

No, those are not acceptable answers.

Just tell the truth. Tell the person that you are not a police officer but, a citizen who values his life and the lives of his loved ones enough to use the best means available to protect them.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links