What States Can You Open Carry?

This is a discussion on What States Can You Open Carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alaska does not prohibit open carry or concealed carry without a permit if you are 21 or older. If you are under 21 you must ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What States Can You Open Carry?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Alaska does not prohibit open carry or concealed carry without a permit if you are 21 or older. If you are under 21 you must open carry.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

Careful looking at OpenCarry.org it is misleading. It shows MA as an open carry state. If I had a permit there I wouldn't OC there. There is now law against it, and if you do OC you'll likely be arrested for distributing the peace and if you are a resident lose your permit (and ability to own firearms in the state).

New Hampshire is listed as "ambiguous" because you cannot open carry in a car without a license. If you have a license you can open carry.

Vermont no license needed you can open carry in/out of a car.

I *think* Maine is also an "ambiguous" Open Carry state (car needs a license), however your mileage will vary with how far north you are and away from Portland, etc.
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

UW Dog, WA residents may own suppressors but it's illegal to use them on a firearm within the state.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    The great gun state of Utah is an OC state and a shall issue to res/non-res. Castle doctrine, CC on school campuses, (elementary, secondary, and college) CC in bars, restraunts that serve alcohol, and pretty much everywhere else.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by doobie View Post
    Careful looking at OpenCarry.org it is misleading. It shows MA as an open carry state.
    Note that Opencarry.org simply lists the states. The forums are there for discussions related to those states, irrespective of whether OC is legal at the moment.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Note that Opencarry.org simply lists the states. The forums are there for discussions related to those states, irrespective of whether OC is legal at the moment.
    It goes a bit beyond that. There's a MAPS page that has, among other things, a map of states it has determined to be open carry or not by color code:

OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

That page needs to be looked at closely, as the author has advised.

Also, the link in your original post is no longer valid as of the time of this posting.

Michigan

Michigan, it is legal to open carry without a permit for residents. Non-residents must have a permit.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

The information currently listed for Kansas at concealcarry.org is correct.

Firearms may be openly carried on your person or in cars without any license/permit except in Wichita, Topeka, Lawrence and the KC metro area.

However, if you have a Kansas resident Concealed Handgun License or a non-resident permit accepted by Kansas then you are exempt from all local open carry bans - not recommended however.

Kansas is a Shall Issue state with a 'property' Castle Doctrine - i.e home, business, auto, RV, and boat. [no pirates allowed]

There is one and only one approved Gun Buster sign. If you did not see or choose to ignore a Gun Buster sign you maybe asked to leave. Failure to do so is trespassing. CC is allowed in bars and restaurants that are not posted.

Guns maybe stored in an auto which is parked in a parking lot that is open to the public - even if the Mall or employer has posted the lot.

Federal GFZ law applies to K-12 schools. It is illegal to CC in churches, university and college buildings, sports arenas and stadiums but not their open space or parking lots.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ...own fully-automatic weapons...
    I thought the auto ban was a federal law?
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Kentucky, open carry and a shall-issue concealed carry state. Very few places where carry is prohibited. No registration or waiting period on firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    Untrue. There is no ban at the federal level from acquiring, owning or shooting a full-auto firearm.

The feds have a $200 tax "stamp" requirement, for ownership. And since 1986 there has been a ban on new manufacture. But, on receivers / trigger groups made prior to 1986, there isn't any other limit (that I know of) at the federal level. So long as your state doesn't deny you the ability to acquire/own/shoot, the feds don't have much to say about it. Of course, you've got to go through the 2month proctology examination to prove you're worthy of the tax stamp.

Really, for full-auto guns, the biggest hurdle is the price, which in the USA is going to start at ~$6K for the least-desirable models to upwards of $50K or more for the gems. (That's for guns which cost $500-2000 to manufacture. There's supply & demand for you, in spades.)

Did it for a short-bbl shotgun, myself. It isn't much different for a full-auto gun.

Got questions? Speak with any Class III dealer in your area.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    Only the manufacture and unlicensed possession of a full auto, SBR, SBS, AOW, or suppressor after 1986 for civilians. There are are a lot of states that allow the possession of these things.

You can (in most states) own most of these as long as they were made before then, so long as they're transferable to civilians.

Example, let's say a gunsmith (AOT or SOT,I forget) modified an AR-15 in 1985 to select fire after paying the ATF the $200 tax to manufacture a machinegun. This weapon is considered transferable to a civilian and a civilian can begin the lengthy paperwork with the ATF and sell all of his internal organs on the black market to be able to afford it (lol, they are expensive.) Once approved, and the $200 tax stamp is paid, this civilian can purchase, own, and fire this weapon legally.

If it was manufactured after the cut-off date in 1986, the weapon can only be purchased by law enforcement agencies, the military, and by another class 3 dealer.

I left a lot of the details out, but you can find these pretty easily on the internet. This is just a quick and dirty explanation. I don't currently own anything that would have to be registered like this, but I have considered a SBR at one time. And also, only select fire or full auto is completely restricted, a gunsmith who is licensed can still make and sell you a new SBR, SBS, or sell you a silencer(so long as your state allows it.)

SBR - Short barreled rifle, SBS - Short barreled shotgun, AOW - Any other weapon (grenades, landmines, etc...)
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Sorry, used the wrong words. I know there isn't a ban, but I thought that the licensing thing was a federal law. Is that correct? If so are there states that don't allow ownership even with a license?
    Ron Paul 2012

There is no license, it's a transfer tax. Each time the weapon transfers owners involving a non SOT (Special Occupational Taxpayer, ie importer, manufacturer, or dealer allowed to do business with NFA weapons) the transfer tax must be paid.

The federal law restricting fully automatic weapons, SBR, SBS, AOW, etc is called the National Firearms Act of 1934 and is Title II of the 18 USC 922. It has been law since 1934. Nothing in it has changed except 922(o) which is the ban on civilian ownership of machine guns made after May 19, 1986. Only SOTs (dealers, makers, importers) and LE can possess these. The machine gun my company made is a post 1986 machine gun since it was made and registered this past March 2009. I can only transfer it to LE or other SOT if they have a demonstration letter from a LE agency.

Some states issue a separate license or permit to own them but that is quite rare. Some states allow certain NFA weapons. Michigain, where I'm located, allows machine guns, DDs, AOWs but no SBR or SBS unless it's a C&R gun on a C&R collector's license. Only SOTs (dealers and manufacturers) can possess or make suppressors. My company makes suppressors and ammunition but will also make (and has made) machine guns for LE and government clients.

So knowing that there is now a cutoff date for fully transferable machine guns, there is a limited supply and X demand. Supply and demand economics takes over. Fully transferable machine guns range from $4,000 for a MAC 10 or Uzi up to $15,000 for an M16, and the crew served and belt fed automatic weapons are $50,000 and up into the 6 figure range.

Now that being said: There are no fully transferable Glock 18 machine pistols. Don't ever go there.

The Glock 18 pistol was not designed nor made prior to May 19, 1986 so they are not fully transferable. Even if they were, since Glock has only been making firearms since 1982 or 1983, they are still blocked by the Gun Control Act of 1968 which banned civilian ownership of imported machine guns after that law was enacted. So there. Absolutely ZERO fully transferable Glock 18 pistols in the US. None. Zip. I don't care if your buddy's friend's dog knows this guy who fought at the Alamo and passed one down through the family. It's all a lie because it cannot feasible nor legally have taken place. OK I'm done now.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    There is no license, it's a transfer tax. Each time the weapon transfers owners involving a non SOT (Special Occupational Taxpayer, ie importer, manufacturer, or dealer allowed to do business with NFA weapons) the transfer tax must be paid.

The federal law restricting fully automatic weapons, SBR, SBS, AOW, etc is called the National Firearms Act of 1934 and is Title II of the 18 USC 922. It has been law since 1934. Nothing in it has changed except 922(o) which is the ban on civilian ownership of machine guns made after May 19, 1986. Only SOTs (dealers, makers, importers) and LE can possess these. The machine gun my company made is a post 1986 machine gun since it was made and registered this past March 2009. I can only transfer it to LE or other SOT if they have a demonstration letter from a LE agency.

Some states issue a separate license or permit to own them but that is quite rare. Some states allow certain NFA weapons. Michigain, where I'm located, allows machine guns, DDs, AOWs but no SBR or SBS unless it's a C&R gun on a C&R collector's license. Only SOTs (dealers and manufacturers) can possess or make suppressors. My company makes suppressors and ammunition but will also make (and has made) machine guns for LE and government clients.

So knowing that there is now a cutoff date for fully transferable machine guns, there is a limited supply and X demand. Supply and demand economics takes over. Fully transferable machine guns range from $4,000 for a MAC 10 or Uzi up to $15,000 for an M16, and the crew served and belt fed automatic weapons are $50,000 and up into the 6 figure range.

Now that being said: There are no fully transferable Glock 18 machine pistols. Don't ever go there.

The Glock 18 pistol was not designed nor made prior to May 19, 1986 so they are not fully transferable. Even if they were, since Glock has only been making firearms since 1982 or 1983, they are still blocked by the Gun Control Act of 1968 which banned civilian ownership of imported machine guns after that law was enacted. So there. Absolutely ZERO fully transferable Glock 18 pistols in the US. None. Zip. I don't care if your buddy's friend's dog knows this guy who fought at the Alamo and passed one down through the family. It's all a lie because it cannot feasible nor legally have taken place. OK I'm done now.
    What is a class III license then?
    Ron Paul 2012

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links