Questions about OC from a newbie CC'er

This is a discussion on Questions about OC from a newbie CC'er within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm still new to CC. I ocassionally check threads in the OC board, because I find the idea intriguing. I'm not sure that I'll ever ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about OC from a newbie CC'er

Questions about OC from a newbie CC'er

I'm still new to CC. I ocassionally check threads in the OC board, because I find the idea intriguing. I'm not sure that I'll ever do it, but thought I'd throw out a few questions for the OC'ers.

1) If you have kids, did you (or do you) OC while they were young? How did you explain it to them?

2) It seems OC'ers get hassled somewhat frequently. Understandably so, since the average person probably has no clue it's even legal to OC (assuming you are in an OC state), much less that it's legal to CC. How often are you hassled? By regular citizens? By police?

3) What is your primary motivation for OC? Has OC'ing helped accomplish this objective?

I think this post is starting to sound like an essay test, so I'm sorry for that :) Just interested to know...I don't personally know any OC'ers.

2. Remove Ads

I am new at CC as well. I went shopping for shoes and the sales girl noticed my key chain with the Police Magnum pepper spray in a leather holder. She asked me where I got that and mentioned how she was harassed by guys when she left for home. I simply took the spray and gifted it to her. She hesitated and asked what I would have to protect myself if I gave her the spray and I said "Don't worry, I am carrying"...of course I didn't show her the piece, but I did advise her to get training and a CPL. She thanked me a lot and could not beleive I gave her the spray.

I haven't OC'ed yet, but I do plan to get an OWB holster. Probably this one which is still categorized as a concealed carry holster. Galco Holsters Concealed Carry Paddle Holster

I would wear a jacket or sports coat over it. Banana Republic makes fitted jackets if you are slim like me.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I have open carried on several occasions in the past with only a couple negative reactions, both being managers of businesses. The first one took place at a local car repair shop (needless to say they no longer get my business), and the 2nd time took place at Wal-Mart's sporting goods department. That was resolved with the store manager and I received a sincere apology from him. I usually OC when weather permits and depending on where I'm going. I have yet to be hassled by local law enforcement and have walked right passed a few of them while OCing. Depending on where you live, open carry may or may not be a good idea.

I open carry on occasion for two reasons,

Comfort

Opportunity to educate those who are unaware that its not only LEOs and thugs who carry guns.

Also in my experience, most people fail to notice that I have a pistol in a holster on my belt. Sometimes people look down at it and continue on their way without any change of expression or comments.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I live in a state that currently prohibits OC but have carried openly in the past and still will on occasion when I travel.
    I have two kids, but do not OC around them. In fact, I don't believe they know I CC either.
    I have never been hassled by anyone while OC. But then again I am six foot four and about three hundred pounds and have been told I "look like a cop". Come to think of it, I can't recall the last time I have been hassled under any circumstances.....
    In fact the first time I OC was way back in the early 1990s in Virginia. I was going on my honeymoon and taking a lot of expensive camera gear with me. I asked VSP about non resident permits. At that time they did not offer them and they told me just to make sure my weapon was not concealed and there should be no problem.
    In that situation my objective was to be armed. I was able to achieve that. More recently when I OC it is a comfort thing. And yes, I generally find OC a bit more comfortable and convenient than CC.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I usually CC, but occasionally OC just for fun. :)

I have 4 kids and they all know that I am always armed. My three year old daughter commented a couple of times that I had my gun to protect her from BGs while we were at home. I have never had to deal with a child talking about it in town. We make firearms a regular part of life, so they are about as exciting to my kids as a broom. :)

Never been hassled for carrying. Been asked a few times, but never hassled.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by coltrane59 View Post
    I'm still new to CC. I ocassionally check threads in the OC board, because I find the idea intriguing. I'm not sure that I'll ever do it, but thought I'd throw out a few questions for the OC'ers.

1) If you have kids, did you (or do you) OC while they were young? How did you explain it to them?

2) It seems OC'ers get hassled somewhat frequently. Understandably so, since the average person probably has no clue it's even legal to OC (assuming you are in an OC state), much less that it's legal to CC. How often are you hassled? By regular citizens? By police?

3) What is your primary motivation for OC? Has OC'ing helped accomplish this objective?

I think this post is starting to sound like an essay test, so I'm sorry for that :) Just interested to know...I don't personally know any OC'ers.
    1) I wouldn't worry about OC in front of kids. I would just be honest with them: You take your obligation to protect your family seriously.

2) I conceal most of the time but have open carried on numerous occassions (you have to in VA at a restaurant that serves alcohol). I have NEVER been hassled by anyone.

I even got into a discussion with a Fairfax County LEO who wondered why I carried a 1911 instead of a Sig (before my conversion to the dark side, i.e.Glock).

3) My primary motivation is to comply with the law (alcohol served = open carry). But the result is that I have had many people question me about it. Most of them were pleasantly surprised by the legality of open carry.

If concealed carry was allowed in the alcohol serving places, I would most likely conceal 99.99999% of the time. But then I would lose the opportunity to educate people about good guys with guns.

I guess there is a price for everything.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

OC and never get hasseled.

I hear that Washington State where you are can be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Chroode View Post
    OC and never get hasseled.

I hear that Washington State where you are can be a problem.
    True from my experiences so far. Although I haven't been Oc'ing for to long I've yet to have anything other than a couple curious people asking about it being legal.

There has only been one down side that I've found for me OC'ing. Every now and then I bash my elbow on the top of my gun.....never feels good. Other than that I find it more comfortable than CC'ing.

Quote Originally Posted by coltrane59 View Post

No kids.

I was getting hassled pretty often in Concord, NH so far this last weekend I didn't get hassled at all. Nothing 'horrible' but nothing I should need to be subject to. Them pretty much asking for my name/my business. Me pretty much saying, "Am I free to go?"

People in cars have driven by and yelled, "Why are you carrying a gun?" but of course they drive by too fast to respond. I've had lots of people give me thumbs up. I had one guy at a grocery store if it made me nervous to OC, because he was always nervous when he CC'd.

My goal is to get people used to seeing people with guns and not hearing about a mass shooting. I've walked through major festivals with a few thousand people around it OCing without anyone saying a word; police included.

And since I got them, I tend to wear a t-shirt saying, "I'm lawfully carrying my pistol(s). Please don't call the police on me."
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

That t-shirt thing is funny! However, if I OCed, I would not wear something like that. I don't want to give the impression that I am begging people to leave me alone. That would be like having a bumper sticker that says 'I am legally driving, so don't call the police please'.

I live in PA and open carry most days. I have never been hassled yet. Im a pretty big dude...6'4" 315 and built like a linebacker so to be honest with you OWB holsters kinda melt way against me! lol I would be hard pressed to say I think most people dont even realize Im carrying and I sometimes carry full size weapons (5" 1911 and HK45)
    My kids see me carrying and they know I carry CC as well. If you make a big deal out of it, it becomes a mystery to the kids and they get very curious. Keep it open through conversation and explanation....to them its like seeing me wearing clothes....no big deal.

Need OC bad in Florida,Not to be cool but for the comfort and to educate

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I like to OC to teach people that it's okay, that guns are not bad. I've OCed in a lot of places and only once had an issue. I used to OC with the goal of having someone ask about it and be willing to listen to my response with the purpose of sparking their interest. Now, I can't OC per service policy and I guess I'll deal with it.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Corneredcat.com has some good stuff about teaching your kids about guns- how to safely teach them the rules and take away the "mystery."

My 5 yr old sees me carrying occasionally, although I don't go out of my way to show him. When he asks, I tell him "I'm ready to keep us safe if a bad guy tries to hurt us."
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

1. I'd explain about the sidearm the exact same way I'd explain about the circular saw, and the electric drill, they are all tools and can be dangerous.
    As they get older, I would let them handle them (safely and briefly) and take them shooting. Remove the curiousity...

2. Can't OC in FL, but we are traveling to IN and MI this summer, I may try it even though I prerer CC. Some places can still hassle you, I'll use common sense as I do not want to draw problems, even though I may be completely in the right.

3. My motivation for doing so would be primarily for comfort in the summer heat.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links