OC and retention holsters

This is a discussion on OC and retention holsters within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a holster-holic. I open carry at work and find myself more comfortable with a retention type holster. I use a pancake style thumb ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OC and retention holsters

I am a holster-holic. I open carry at work and find myself more comfortable with a retention type holster. I use a pancake style thumb break with all my work guns due to 25 + years with the T/B system...I'm used to it. Due to my addiction, I have several types of holster for each weapon. Although I train with each one, under stress I fumble simply because each one rides differently, releases differently, or is in a different position entirely.

An instructor once set up a training scenario to trigger a 'startle reflex' as he called it. It showed, when startled, I reach for a weapon at 3:00 with my thumb poised to hit a thumb break like the uniformed law enforcement officer I was for so many years. So, for me, a holster riding in the same approximate location as my duty holster that released relatively the same way was my best solution. The more radically different the holster position or release method, the longer my response/draw time.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly1964 View Post
    I am a holster-holic. I open carry at work and find myself more comfortable with a retention type holster. I use a pancake style thumb break with all my work guns due to 25 + years with the T/B system...I'm used to it. Due to my addiction, I have several types of holster for each weapon. Although I train with each one, under stress I fumble simply because each one rides differently, releases differently, or is in a different position entirely.

An instructor once set up a training scenario to trigger a 'startle reflex' as he called it. It showed, when startled, I reach for a weapon at 3:00 with my thumb poised to hit a thumb break like the uniformed law enforcement officer I was for so many years. So, for me, a holster riding in the same approximate location as my duty holster that released relatively the same way was my best solution. The more radically different the holster position or release method, the longer my response/draw time.
    You bring up very good points. That is a concern for me. Not sure what I am going to do. I keep going back and forth between safariland als, bianchi carry loc and serpa for retention. I either wear comp-tac IWB or K&D OWB all other times.

It can be expensive to try holsters looking for the right fit. The Safariland has a push down thumb release that can be awkward to hit while obtaining a proper firing grip during the draw even for someone used to a T/B. The Carry-Lok is a more natural position to hit, but I have short, fat fingers and have had trouble pushing the lever far enough on weapons with thicker trigger guards. (Glock, for example) I have a similar releasing holster for a S&W Bodyguard from Bianchi, the Lightning that I like. The Serpa release seems to be a natural hit with a proper firing grip and is more adjustable for position and cant. The paddle version gets more uncomfortable the farther from 3:00 (or 9:00 for the lefties) that you get. Try each one if you can in your normal carry positions.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    The Blackhawk CQC Serpa holsters are quite popular and readily available in most gun stores and sporting goods stores. The retention is great, and the draw is very natural. Safariland I hear also makes great retention holsters.

The Serpa holsters have a lever on the side that you press to draw the weapon, and is in a position that is very natural. When you reholster the trigger guard engages the lever and locks in place, no thumb breaks to fumble with.
    +1. The Blackhawk is very intuitive.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I have a Blackhawk CQC Serpa for my G26 and love it
    When I'm hanging around the house and carry a gun, its
    in the Blackhawk.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    The Blackhawk CQC Serpa holsters are quite popular and readily available in most gun stores and sporting goods stores. The retention is great, and the draw is very natural. Safariland I hear also makes great retention holsters.

The Serpa holsters have a lever on the side that you press to draw the weapon, and is in a position that is very natural. When you reholster the trigger guard engages the lever and locks in place, no thumb breaks to fumble with.
    Another +1 for the SERPA. It is the only holster I carry in. Concealed or open. I love it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Serpa teaches the trigger finger bad habits, many Instructors and Schools do not allow them. The holster version with"out" serpa is good to go and a great holster.

Safariland holster(s) with "thumb" push down and roll forward is good to go. I do not like the holster with the new "hood", can get in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by DOGOFWAR01 View Post
    Serpa teaches the trigger finger bad habits...
    Back up this declaration, please. How exactly does a Serpa holster, properly used, teach the trigger finger bad habits? What bad habits does it teach? More than hearsay, please. If true, this is important information.
    ...many Instructors and Schools do not allow them...
    What is your basis for this statement?
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Quote Originally Posted by DOGOFWAR01 View Post
    Serpa teaches the trigger finger bad habits, . .
    It seems the opposite is true to me. The Serpa requires the trigger finger to be right where it should be from the jump, just to get the gun unholstered.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links