NC -- My 1st OC today!

NC -- My 1st OC today!

This is a discussion on NC -- My 1st OC today! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So here's the AAR: (NC is an OC state.) I went up to the range to compete in my first 3-gun this morning at 9am, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NC -- My 1st OC today!

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

NC -- My 1st OC today!

So here's the AAR:

(NC is an OC state.)

I went up to the range to compete in my first 3-gun this morning at 9am, but only got through 1 stage as I had to leave by Noon. Upon leaving, I was pulled over by one of the guys as I was loading my gun and putting 1 in the chamber. I was against the berm and well within the 180-rule, and he was like "you can't do that!" I said "no, this is my EDC and I am leaving, I need to load it." (Duh, otherwise I'd be on the OTHER SIDE of the watch area.)

So I left and OC'd in my car. Don't laugh, I figured it was the best way to ease into it, and something I'd have to get used to the feel of anyhow, right? For when I'm CC in the car?

My courage up, I decided to OC, but just to keep it "safe," I went to my local gun shop where the owner knows me and was keeping a box of ammo for me this week anyhow. So I had a slight moment as I was opening the car door, thinking "OMG, what if someone sees as calls the cops? I don't want to be the reason for a Bunny-With-A-Gun" call, as I don't know a lot of the local PD in that town."

But there were two guys standing at the shop next door, they looked at me but didn't raise an eyebrow. Guess they were used to folks carrying in and out of the gun store. Duh.

I walked right in and said hey to the owner and the lady at the counter, picked up my ammo, looked at a Glock 30, and bought a safe for my nightstand. (I didn't have a safe yet, so I'd been keeping the Sig unloaded and ammo on a different floor of the house. Then I thought "that's pretty stupid. How is THAT going to help in a home invasion?")

Chatted with everyone for a bit, ALMOST bought a T-shirt that they showed me. It says "Don't Tread On Me" in the front, with the flag, and then across the upper back in the rear it says "Infidel."

But I figured I'd wait on that for a bit.

I was also informed that while their engraver WILL do a bunny on the slide for me, he will not engrave "smile...wait for flash" on the muzzle because it could lead to potential risk in litigation IF I ever have a SHTF situation. I defended my position with this logic: If someone is ever close enough to read it, guess what? It's going to be the last thing the ever see. I'm practically doing a kindness by giving them one last, brief moment of humor. But they're right, perhaps a DA won't see it that way. So a bunny on the slide it is :)

Said goodbye, left the shop still carrying, drove home, walked across my yard to get the mail, and inside the house with no incident.

So yeah, I KNOW it was kind of cheating, but at least I can say I did it, and it was a good experience, even if it was practically a "soft" run.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

It sounds like it was a good experience for your first time. Now next time add in something like getting gas. Baby steps. In no time you won't even worry. How was the Bunny family outing at the range? Mr. Bunny losening up any?
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

I considered gas, but I would have to do it at a local place where the cops know me so I don't get hassled in case there's a 911 call about an armed Bunny.

Mr. Bunny and Jr. did not come with, they weren't competing today so they didn't see a reason to go. (I argued "moral support for mom" but to no avail.)

Maybe next time. It's probably for the best anyhow, I need serious work w/ the shotgun. Ugh.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Senior Moderator
    "Bunny with a gun..."

That would be an interesting call to hear over the radio...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Im gonna try the OC thing in NC pretty soon.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

VIP Member
    Well done Bunny!!

I did some OC action when I was in Phoenix, but prefer CC in an urban setting.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I'm going to brave filling up the car w/ gas tomorrow. Went shopping tonight and bought some button-down shirts and stuff that might make good cover garments for when I am able to CC.

I had a tank top and cardigan on today at the range, and they warned me to make sure the cardigan was tucked ALL THE WAY BEHIND my gun, so there was no possibility anyone could accuse me of trying to conceal. Sheesh!

Anyhow, here's a pic -- you get the idea. (I think it isn't too big to be able to eventually CC.) Clearly, it's VERY OPEN here and there's no attempt at concealment. I am sure my mother would say this is not very ladylike.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

VIP Member
    Bunny,I can't understand why you need a gun. We've seen the video of the bunny vs the rattlesnake!

Congrats on your first outing. When are you going to do your OC WW walk?

Lead Moderator
    Congrats on the carry, and the warning you got about tucking was a good one...... You are to close to your permit to mess it up by accident!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Bunny,I can't understand why you need a gun. We've seen the video of the bunny vs the rattlesnake!

Congrats on your first outing. When are you going to do your OC WW walk?
    LOL! Well, rattlesnakes are pansies. I worry more about hairless apes.

Can we DO an OC WW Walk? Holy crap, that's a scary prospect! Not sure -- maybe some other locals near Charlotte with come OC with me? At least it will make my CC WWW a piece of cake. 24 more days till I can submit my application, woot! :)

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

VIP Member
    I'd do the OC WW walk with you, but I'm afraid the drive from Richmond would be a little much.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    "Bunny with a gun..."

That would be an interesting call to hear over the radio...
    +1

I'm not too awful far from Charlotte (hour and a half-ish) but being that I don't have my CWP, and I'm a resident of SC...Not sure how fond of me the LEOs in that neck of the woods would be of me. AFAIK SC residents have the castle doctrine and the "no retreat" laws in place, but I've read nothing about being able to openly carry.

All info I've obtained has been via: South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

If someone ascertains from that, that I am in fact allowed to open carry without a CWP, please let me know

You can open carry in NC w/o any permit, Teufle. Are you asking whether you can carry in our state w/o CWP, or yours?

Come and do an open wally walk with us! We don't have nachos, but there is a Subway. :)

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Congrats Bunny on your 1st OC. I didn't know that NC was an OC state. I will have to remember that next time I am there.

BTW, I love your sig line "To err is human. To forgive, canine." lol :)

-Frank

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links