Denied Service at Griolis in Virginia (UPDATED) - Page 2

Denied Service at Griolis in Virginia (UPDATED)

This is a discussion on Denied Service at Griolis in Virginia (UPDATED) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SelfDefense Boycotts are largely ineffective, especially ones that do not generate popular support and publicity. According to a 1997 study in the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Denied Service at Griolis in Virginia (UPDATED)

Wink Actually....

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Boycotts are largely ineffective, especially ones that do not generate popular support and publicity.

According to a 1997 study in the Journal of Business Research, boycotts have had negligible impact on their targets. But by all means, if it makes you feel good, do it!
    Those are boycotts generated at the national level. Take 30 folks into that restuarant and ask for a table. Then storm out (sedately) when told to leave the guns in the car. Watch the managers KA-CHING! Fade away. See the potential? I can tell you from experience: IT WORKS.

Had to rush out this morning for church, but I'm back and can elaborate until the thunderstorm rolls in.

Here in Miami a few years ago the local Denny's restaurants went on a "no CCW" binge and posted signs in area establishments. A few IDPA clubs have monthly meetings and then go out to dinner. Take 20 or 30 folks, ask for an area or a long table composed of smaller tables. See the manager's eyes light up (KA-CHING!) then somebody would "notice" the "no concealed firearms even with a ccw" sign and we'd point out we're a gun club and just sigh and leave. Later that week, a different group from a different club does the same thing. That policy lasted about three months. The important thing is when they DO change, take the whole group and go eat there, more than once! Carrot and stick. Believe me, it DOES work.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; May 31st, 2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Add content
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Boycotts are largely ineffective, especially ones that do not generate popular support and publicity.
    1) I would imagine that restaurants are feeling the effects of the struggling economy as much or more than most businesses.

2) Prior to the economic downturn I don't think the restaurant business was known for their high profit margins.

Given those two factors, I doubt many restaurant owners have the luxury of turning away customers. Even a small scale boycott on an individual establishment could have a devastating effect on their ability to continue to do business. I choose to support businesses that support my right to carry.

Do you have a local state gun forum?
    You wrote a great E-mail, if you can post it locally in VA on a pro-2A forum. Then also include the restaurants phone #. Have members call to make reservations, then ask about carrying. See how many "No thanks" it takes for a policy change.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I would never OC in any bar or restaurant The Governor of Virgina doesn't seem to want to honor the majority vote to change this ridicules law. It seems that this law has caused problems in the past and needs to change. I'm glad I live in Florida.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I know it is just semantics but maybe next time instead of asking if they discriminate against "gun-owners" ask if they discriminate against law-abiding citizens. You were carrying in accordance with state law, acting responsibly, and respectfully left when asked to leave. That sounds like a law-abiding citizen to me. I wonder if they would dare discriminate against law-breaking citizens?

I think some retail owners misinterpret the laws to their liking. It is unfortunate.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Wink Ummmmm Something wrong here.....

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    I think some retail owners misinterpret the laws to their liking. It is unfortunate.
    But it's a luxury they shouldn't be allowed to get away with. I think the judicial establishment would look unkindly on a layperson "interpreting" law willy nilly as they please. That is the sole criterion for a judge. Point out the law as it stands. If they are applying the law in a discriminatory manner. Sue them! Or apply pressure in a nonlegal or rather economic manner, such as the aforementioned boycott.

There is an awesome card out there I've seen on this forum on another thread about a state level gun rights group putting businesses unfriendly to the 2nd Amendment on a list for boycott then handing them said card with a way to correct the situation and get removed from the "list," by calling a phone number.

Obviously there must be verification and periodic rechecks, but that is an excellent way to get a whole state involved at the grassroots level. Just create a website with a list of businesses. I'll bet it doesn't take long.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

To Paramedic70002:
    I'm a state licenced EMT and I'm ALWAYS armed!

I think part of our problem in Virginia,other than a stupid Governor(soon to be the DNC), is that Restaurant managers/owners do not know the law. They know that concealed carry in restaurants which serve alcohol is against the law, and automatically assume that this means all carry is illegal. If you read these threads, you'll see a commonality to them. The manager informs the customer that carrying a gun in an establishment which serves alcohol is against the law. In 90+% of the cases, this is just ignorance of the law. In the remaining few, it is an attempt to misrepresent the law in order to impose personal views, regardless of state law or corporate policies.

Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    I think part of our problem in Virginia,other than a stupid Governor(soon to be the DNC), is that Restaurant managers/owners do not know the law. They know that concealed carry in restaurants which serve alcohol is against the law, and automatically assume that this means all carry is illegal. If you read these threads, you'll see a commonality to them. The manager informs the customer that carrying a gun in an establishment which serves alcohol is against the law. In 90+% of the cases, this is just ignorance of the law. In the remaining few, it is an attempt to misrepresent the law in order to impose personal views, regardless of state law or corporate policies.
    I'm just guessing but I'd bet most restaurant managers/owners would prefer that patrons keep their guns concealed rather than out in the open for all other customers to see. I'd even bet that many of them would have no problem with guns in their establishment as long as they were out of sight. The creators of the VA law as it is were really not in the thinking game.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    As I understand it the VA Restaurant Assn likes it the way it is since it discourages carry in restaurants. I hear they are more powerful than the NRA ans such here in VA.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Paramedic, they haven't been powerful enough to stop the convealed carry bill from passing both houses in Va the last two years, but Democratic National Chairman Tim Kane is our governor, and has seen fit to dis-regard the will of the voters and veto it both years. Hopefully the voters of Virginia are smart enough to elect a pro-gun republican in the coming election as well as electing Tim Cuccinelli as Attorney General. The VCDL has worked long and hard to change this lae as well as some others. Incidentally, the restaurant carry bill would have prohibited anyone who was carrying from consuming alcohol, whereas the current open carry situation does not.

I applaud you for writing the letter. Good job.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

UPDATE - Finally got a response from Griolis

I finally got a response from Griolis Bistro after I sent them a corrected copy of my original e-mail; I fixed the date error.

The text is here (I haven't made any edits, just copied and pasted):

"Mr. Nelting,

I appologize for the delay in writing this response, I was out of the country on family matters. First, I would like to appologize for being singled out in the dining room for carrying your handgun in our establishment. Second, I have also done my homework and you are correct you are able to carry your handgun in to restaurants that serve beer & wine. I have discussed this law with the manager at the Bealeton Location and have made him aware of this law. I understand your anger and frustration with this incedent and would like to make it right by offering a gift certificate to rejoin us at Grioli's as your favorite dining establishment. I do not want you to assume I am trying to bribe back your loyalty, but as a jester of good faith I would like to offer this gift card as a token of my appreciation for patronizing our restaurants. Again forgive the delay and have a great afternoon.

Please email me your address so that I may forward the gift card.

Sincerely,

Vince A. Vitale
    C.E.O. / President
    Grioli's Italian Bistro"

I'm glad that he did his homework and has addressed the situation. So I want to now make sure every place I related this story has the updated version with a favorable outcome.

Ladies and gentlemen, I do heartily recommend the food at Griolis and encourage you to try it if you're ever in the vicinity of their restaurants. Buon appetit!
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Come to Florida where you can wear your gun concealed in restaurants that serves alcohol with food. Virginia needs to change that law. It's a shame that the restaurant will lose business due to misinformation and their silly attitude.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links