Denied Service at Griolis in Virginia (UPDATED)

This is a discussion on Denied Service at Griolis in Virginia (UPDATED) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was refused service in Griolis restaurant in Bealeton, VA, unless I left my pistol outside. I uncovered my handgun when I entered the restaurant, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Denied Service at Griolis in Virginia (UPDATED)

Denied Service at Griolis in Virginia (UPDATED)

I was refused service in Griolis restaurant in Bealeton, VA, unless I left my pistol outside. I uncovered my handgun when I entered the restaurant, as required in Virginia, and was shown to a booth. Then before we even sat down the man asked me to take “that” outside. I pointed out that I’d been there many times and it has never been a problem before. He told me a police officer had recently told him one can’t carry a gun in there because they serve alcohol and because there are small children there

I corrected him on the law and told him the officer (if there even was such an officer) was wrong. But if that was what he preferred then I preferred to spend my money somewhere else. My wife and son and I then left.

Then I went home and sent the following to the corporate e-mail address. I haven’t received any acknowledgement of my e-mail.

“I am sad to report that I will not be able to enjoy the fantastic food and previously wonderful service at your restaurant in Bealeton , Virginia .

I tried to take my family to dinner at your Griolis in Bealeton , VA last night, June 23, 2009. A man, I think he’s the manager or owner, who has seen me with my legally carried handgun in there numerous times and never said a word before, asked me tonight to leave my pistol outside. I pointed out that I have carried in there before and they’ve never objected. He told me that a policeman had told him that people can’t carry handguns in there because there are little children in there.

If there actually was a police officer telling him such things, and I suspect that was a ruse, then the officer was distributing misinformation either due to a lack of understanding or deliberately to support his own beliefs. I have a feeling that the employee/manager was simply using this story to avoid just saying he preferred to discriminate against gun owners.

Under Virginia statute it is legal to openly carry a handgun in an establishment that serves alcohol for consumption on premises. It is not legal to carry a concealed handgun in such an establishment.

I told him that since it was his place he could request I leave if he preferred. His answer was that he did prefer that. So I told him in that case I prefer to spend my money somewhere else. I also told him I would spread the word that some people are not welcome there.

Is it a corporate policy at Griolis to discriminate against gun owners? While we may not be a protected category under federal civil rights laws, we do consider it discrimination and we are very vocal about it. We will make certain that every other gun owner, and all our friends, know that a company discriminates. I spent a 23+ year career in the U.S. Air Force protecting your rights only to have you discriminate and deny me my constitionally protected rights. I was even wearing a cap proclaiming “U.S. Air Force Retired” at the time of this incident.

If it is your policy to discriminate you should own up to it up front and not wait until taking a party to their table and attempt to embarrass them there in a crowded restaurant. It won’t embarrass me; I’ll simply explain to your employee, and everyone within earshot, what the truth of the law is.

I will wait one week, until May 30, 2009, for your response before I decide whether to post my experience on every gun owner forum I know of.”

So I urge all of you in Virginia and North Carolina, and anywhere else they open a property, to avoid all of Griolis restaurants since they are anti-Second Amendment.
    Last edited by Miggy; June 21st, 2009 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Title change for OP
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

2. Remove Ads

seems to me that it is too bad you didn't have the copy of the law with you. Not that it would have made much difference but I would have read it loudly.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    I tried to take my family to dinner at your Griolis in Bealeton , VA last night, June 23, 2009.
    Umm...perhaps that is why you encountered some problems - you tried to take your family into the future!

Seriously, that really sucks. I certainly would not spend money at such an establishment. In addition, if a real cop did indead tell him that, he should be informed as to what blinking laws he is to enforce!

Regardless of what the law says, there is no law that says they have to allow open carry in the restuarant.

Perhaps you might be well advised to get a concealed permit. You are over 21

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    Regardless of what the law says, there is no law that says they have to allow open carry in the restuarant.

Perhaps you might be well advised to get a concealed permit. You are over 21
    Concealed carry is not permitted in restaurants serving alcohol under VA law. Open carry is allowed there, and is the only type carry allowed is such places.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    Concealed carry is not permitted in restaurants serving alcohol under VA law. Open carry is allowed there, and is the only type carry allowed is such places.
    How ridiculous. Looks like a formula for trouble. VA would do well to revise that one.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Tell that to our soon to be ex Governor who has shot it down 2 years in a row. His replacement may not be much better.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    How ridiculous. Looks like a formula for trouble. VA would do well to revise that one.
    We tried. It was passed with a large majority in this years General Assembly. However our "Esteemed Governor?" saw fit to veto the restaurant carry bill, because, as he and Senator Marsh said, "If we allow concealed carry in bars, someone might bring a gun and shoot someone." Of course this totally ignores, 1. We can already open carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. @ There are no bars in Virginia, only restaurants which can serve liquor by the drink, and 3. Anyone who is planning on murdering someone is not going to worry about breaking a law that says they can't carry a concealed handgun.

VIP Member
    That's too bad that they were dumb about it. I thought your letter was well written, (except the date). Good job for sticking up for yourself to the man.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I have my Va CHP can we CC in WV in places that serve alcohol?

or can you even carry in places like applebees in WV?

VIP Member
    Something to keep in mind about VIRGINIA is the State of Va controls ALL places that serve alcohol. They don't allow BARS! If you serve booze, you MUST serve food. Virginia doesn't have stand alone bars like many other states do. So this dumb law applies to places like Applebee's, Chili's, O'Charley's...etc... type of restaurants.

As previously stated, the state legislature has TWICE voted to repeal this dumb law requiring open carry while NOT allowing concealed carry....only to have the anti-gun governor to veto it!

We all agree it is asinine, but we have to abide by it! Some places will put up 'no gun' signs....others don't & when a hoplophobe gets their dander up.....we get asked to leave.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Sorry that happened to you. Your letter was very well stated, I hope corporate fixes the issue with that manager person. I don't think we have one of those restaurants nearby, but if I see one, I will now avoid it and spend elsewhere as well.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Boycotts are largely ineffective, especially ones that do not generate popular support and publicity.

I understand that some are frustrated by the lack of tolerance of some business owners, but if you enjoy their product and service why deny yourself? The business will not suffer, only the individual. What some fail to take into account is that a no guns policy might increase total revenue for a business. Some people will patronize a business that disallows law abiding citizens to carry guns and would not patronize a business that openly encourages guns. In Arizona, a bill a was proposed to allow restaurants to allow guns if they posted a sign that they allowed guns. The bill died in the legislature. What business would put up a sign they allowed gun owners?

The fact is that most boycotts do not change the behavior of any business. In California, Cesar Chavez encouraged a grape boycott to protest the low wages the [illegals] were being paid. No one cared and the grape growers had great seasons. Who suffered? The people who liked grapes and chose not to buy them for 'the cause.'

According to a 1997 study in the Journal of Business Research, boycotts have had negligible impact on their targets. But by all means, if it makes you feel good, do it!

Sigh. The current Virginia Law is stupid, as is our current Governor. I try to support boycotts of "stupid" establishments. I've found that supporting the VCDL is the best way to get my voice heard.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Boycotts are largely ineffective, especially ones that do not generate popular support and publicity.

I understand that some are frustrated by the lack of tolerance of some business owners, but if you enjoy their product and service why deny yourself? The business will not suffer, only the individual. What some fail to take into account is that a no guns policy might increase total revenue for a business. Some people will patronize a business that disallows law abiding citizens to carry guns and would not patronize a business that openly encourages guns. In Arizona, a bill a was proposed to allow restaurants to allow guns if they posted a sign that they allowed guns. The bill died in the legislature. What business would put up a sign they allowed gun owners?

The fact is that most boycotts do not change the behavior of any business. In California, Cesar Chavez encouraged a grape boycott to protest the low wages the [illegals] were being paid. No one cared and the grape growers had great seasons. Who suffered? The people who liked grapes and chose not to buy them for 'the cause.'

According to a 1997 study in the Journal of Business Research, boycotts have had negligible impact on their targets. But by all means, if it makes you feel good, do it!
    Very good point SD.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links