First OC in Washington

First OC in Washington

This is a discussion on First OC in Washington within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OC'd for the first time this weekend. I took a trip to Home Depot and the grocery store on Saturday without even a second glance ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First OC in Washington

OC'd for the first time this weekend. I took a trip to Home Depot and the grocery store on Saturday without even a second glance from anyone. Today it was the Dollar Store, Hollywood Video and Arby's.

This was a great opportunity to point out to my wife that this is not a big deal. She thinks I want to OC so that I can have an "It's my right" argument with some sheep. It was amazing to her, and a little to me too, just how unaware everyone around us was, or maybe just how afraid they are to confront an armed citizen. Either way, it was a positive experience and the first of many to come.
    Pro Deo, Pro Familia, Pro Patria

Ruger SR9 - Crossbreed STD
    Savage 10FP

I think Eastern WA is more gun friendly than the western side. Just yesterday I was at a Chevron gas station and I noticed a Sig on this Asian girl who bent down to pick up something. As she bent down, her shirt raised up and revealed her Sig in an IWB holster. Two other people who noticed and started sweating at the site of her gun. It looked like they were going to have a seizure. I quickly went up to her and said "Your Sig is showing"...She thanked me and pulled her shirt over it and drove off. One of the guys said "Did you see she had a gun?"...I just smiled and said nothing to him and went my way.

If they reacted that way to concealed carry, I wonder what they would do if she OC'ed.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

i have only seen a gun open carry once in a teriyaki restaurant in seattle it was a huge like 4 or 6 inch barrelled revolver!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    I think Eastern WA is more gun friendly than the western side. Just yesterday I was at a Chevron gas station and I noticed a Sig on this Asian girl who bent down to pick up something. As she bent down, her shirt raised up and revealed her Sig in an IWB holster. Two other people who noticed and started sweating at the site of her gun. It looked like they were going to have a seizure. I quickly went up to her and said "Your Sig is showing"...She thanked me and pulled her shirt over it and drove off. One of the guys said "Did you see she had a gun?"...I just smiled and said nothing to him and went my way.

If they reacted that way to concealed carry, I wonder what they would do if she OC'ed.
    Baaaaaa, run for your lives!
    Baaaaa, we're all gonna' die!
    Baaaaa, quick call 911!

That's pretty much it...

To the OP...enjoy!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Maybe it's just me and I'm still new to the world of firearms (and excited about it!) but if I saw someone OCing, I'd have to seriously restrain myself from bouncing up and happily asking what they're carrying. (People are so nice and willing to educate you about stuff if you just ASK.)

Glad you had a very smooth experience and the wife got to see it's really NBD.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by o2ryan View Post
    OC'd for the first time this weekend. I took a trip to Home Depot and the grocery store on Saturday without even a second glance from anyone. Today it was the Dollar Store, Hollywood Video and Arby's.

This was a great opportunity to point out to my wife that this is not a big deal. She thinks I want to OC so that I can have an "It's my right" argument with some sheep. It was amazing to her, and a little to me too, just how unaware everyone around us was, or maybe just how afraid they are to confront an armed citizen. Either way, it was a positive experience and the first of many to come.
    Welcome to Washington. Glad to have you and yours make a home in our still free state.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    ....I was at a Chevron gas station and I noticed a Sig.... It looked like they were going to have a seizure. ...

One of the Chevron's in Renton? I think a lot of those people would freak out.

I'm sure Eastern WA is a lot more relaxed when it comes to OC or CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Maybe it's just me and I'm still new to the world of firearms (and excited about it!) but if I saw someone OCing, I'd have to seriously restrain myself from bouncing up and happily asking what they're carrying. (People are so nice and willing to educate you about stuff if you just ASK.)

Glad you had a very smooth experience and the wife got to see it's really NBD.
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with you bouncing up to me and asking what I am carrying. Bounce hard enough, though, and I might have a hard time answering you!

Congrats on the weekend carries.

It's good to hear these stories of good OCing.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

I used to open carry all the time. Just because its harder to conceal a full size pistol. I changed it up because of all the responses I got from people both positive and neg. I just got tired of people asking or making comments so I concealed it. Nothing has changed other than people reactions.

However, the thing about eastern and western WA is so true. To anyone who doesnt know WA, the mountains seperate two VERY different worlds. Same state, worlds apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    However, the thing about eastern and western WA is so true. To anyone who doesnt know WA, the mountains seperate two VERY different worlds. Same state, worlds apart.
    Actually I'm becoming convinced it is just the I-5 corridor that has its panties in a squishy liberal knot. Out here on the peninsula, the west side of Puget Sound is also pretty civilized and easy going.

I've noticed my wave changes the farther I get away from my hill. Starts out an open handed wave on the hill through town than as I approach I-5 it goes to a three finger to a two finger wave. By the time I've driven through Olympia my salutation has become a single fingered message. Whenever I get over the mountains to your side of the state it becomes a wave again

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

OC is a lot like wearing your money clip outside your pocket. Unless of course your hunting, riding horseback or in some cases in the wild. I guess you could do it if you wanted to. Not to be polemic but I have never thought it a good idea to tell everyone how much money I carry or if and where I keep my gun.
    I won't get into a debate about rights, ego or whatever. I probably won't be shot for my weapon either.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

Off topic

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    OC is a lot like wearing your money clip outside your pocket. Unless of course your hunting, riding horseback or in some cases in the wild. I guess you could do it if you wanted to. Not to be polemic but I have never thought it a good idea to tell everyone how much money I carry or if and where I keep my gun.
    I won't get into a debate about rights, ego or whatever. I probably won't be shot for my weapon either.
    Your post is off topic. Please read and know the forum rules and guidelines prior to posting. This rule should be fairly easy to comprehend and comply with as it is posted at the top of this page and every page of the Open Carry Issues and Discussions
    This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.
    It is especially offensive when you engage in that debate by posting reasoning based upon misinformation, ignorance, internet fantasy and out right anti self defense fanatic Brady Bunch lies. NO ONE HAS EVER BEEN SHOT FOR OPEN CARRYING A GUN. Why are you posting anti self defense fanatic Brady Bunch lies on a pro gun forum?

With the temperature at about 80 yesterday in Olympia, I really didn't want to wear a jacket just to conceal my 1911. I openly carried in Home Depot, Safeway, Shuck's, and at the Costco fuel pumps. Nobody said a word, and I didn't notice any strange looks, although I'm not making any effort to assess how others react.

I think the lack of reaction is because most people just don't pay attention to those around them. If you're not tuned in to looking for a gun, you wouldn't see my OWB 1911 (at about 4:30) from any angle than my strongside rear quarter.

Sure, every one in awhile somebody will say something about OC, but it is largely a non-issue even in the predominantly anti-gun state capitol of Olympia.

CPLincoln

I got asked if they had hired me to shoot pigeons while in the ferry holding area waiting to walk onto the Mukilteo ferry last night. I just chuckled and replied, no, he said, "Well I wish they would" and left it at that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links