Interesting LEO interaction tonight. - Page 2

Interesting LEO interaction tonight.

This is a discussion on Interesting LEO interaction tonight. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sounds like the officer was doing more of a public relations stop. Saying hi in a relaxed situation instead of a man with a gun ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting LEO interaction tonight.

Sounds like the officer was doing more of a public relations stop. Saying hi in a relaxed situation instead of a man with a gun call that could be really tense.

+1 for a pro carry police encounter.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

No harm done here, just thank the officer for the info and continue on your way.
    Pretty simple.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    No harm done here, just thank the officer for the info and continue on your way.
    Pretty simple.
    I agree with Restsup. No real harm here. The officer seemed friendly and even gave the girl some free swag.

On the other hand...I have had plenty of "friendly Chats" with officers. I've chatted with them daily at work, in restaurants, at gas stations, in church and at sporting events. With that said, I have never had a "friendly chat" with a cop on the side of the road while his lights are flashing. I've met plenty when on the job and they were all being professionals at that point.

He was stopping and querying a man because he was OCing. To say he was just making conversation is a lie. Nuff said.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Wow lots of posts since last night.

Even during and after the stop I was/am leaning on the side of Landric and retsup, The conversation was relaxed and casual like many I have had with officers while at smoking stations or the local 7/11.
    The officer did not detain me IMO because he did not ask for ID or even my name. He never used his blue lights either, In my OP flashers refers to Hazard lights ( sorry for the confusion guys).
    The main reason I posted was I found it odd that the officer swung the block to talk to me and rather quickly at that.
    I used it as more of a chance to reinforce with my three year old daughter respect for the police.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post
    Even during and after the stop I was/am leaning on the side of Landric and retsup, The conversation was relaxed and casual like many I have had with officers while at smoking stations or the local 7/11.
    The officer did not detain me IMO because he did not ask for ID or even my name. He never used his blue lights either, In my OP flashers refers to Hazard lights ( sorry for the confusion guys).
    The main reason I posted was I found it odd that the officer swung the block to talk to me and rather quickly at that.
    I used it as more of a chance to reinforce with my three year old daughter respect for the police.
    I stand corrected.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

If he did not want to hassle you he should have just kept driving, smile and wave boys.

As far as I can tell he was hassling you under the guise of not hassling you.

Now if he stopped and wanted to know what you were carrying and said nothing about the open carry or scaring the locals, fine this is a casual encounter.

This is how i take the encounter "I am gonna get a call which is going to make me come back here and talk to you with the whole police force which will cause us all to be tied up when something important could be happening, so get your permit and save us all the hassle."

It happens.

I've never had an OC issue like that, but for some reason at 5 ft 9 inch ish, sun deprived pale faced, out of shape, I'm your typical BG when I take an after dinner walk. I've been stopped and questioned a few times, that leads to the CC conversation, etc.

I would have though I've run out of local police by now, I don't think I look like much of a threat walking the bike path, but I guess I do, maybe crime is up more then I think in the area, or there is someone who is startled by someone being "outside." When I was younger I would never get stopped. Maybe when I was in better shape I looked like a person that belonged outside.

Just saying, sometimes LEO stop and ask questions. Now you would think a guy with children would not be questioned (per the OP), but as opposed to a few of the replies, it is not being harasseed.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Senior Moderator
    Or it could be that he stopped just to "check you out". It happens every day in every city and town in the country.

I talk to people all the time just to see whats up and I do it for no other reason that to let them know that we care and are watching. You cant imagine the good tips I have gotten from just casual converstation. Tips that have led to cases being closed that would not have other wise happened.

It's just being smart to be friendly. I think the cop was just checking you out for several reasons. One, to see what was up. Two, to let you know that he was aware that you were toting. Three, to get to know you.

I dont think he was there to "hassle" or intimidate and contrary to popular beleif some police initiate conversation just because they can. Some actually like to talk to people.

And while we are at it, any cop bashing comments will be removed so think before you type.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post
    Yet some here would have you believe that this happened completely by chance. To believe otherwise is being paranoid and delusional.

I wonder how 'consensual' the encounter would have been if you had walked past his window, ignoring him. Contempt of cop is well known and frowned upon. *Not cop bashing, just telling it like I hear it.*

I maintain my stance that, while you were not detained per se, the LEO knew full well what he was doing. It was a meet and greet of a potential troublemaker, as has been mentioned. He wasn't asking you the time of day, and he wasn't your old buddy from High School. In days gone by you'd probably have been warned to be out of town by sundown.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Do LEOs pull over cars and warn them not to speed or they will pull them over some more?
    LMAO, I don't care how you are, that is funny right there.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Yet some here would have you believe that this happened completely by chance. To believe otherwise is being paranoid and delusional.

I wonder how 'consensual' the encounter would have been if you had walked past his window, ignoring him. Contempt of cop is well known and frowned upon. *Not cop bashing, just telling it like I hear it.*

I maintain my stance that, while you were not detained per se, the LEO knew full well what he was doing. It was a meet and greet of a potential troublemaker, as has been mentioned. He wasn't asking you the time of day, and he wasn't your old buddy from High School. In days gone by you'd probably have been warned to be out of town by sundown.
    You're comments on this thread seem rather odd for someone in your profession and having law enforcement experience. It seems that you do not like any casual interaction with the police. I was in a community policing unit for a few years and we were encouraged to have "non enforcement" interaction with the public.

Lighten up, Francis.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Administrator
    Based on posts I've read over the years, a lot here claim to have experience they do not, or have embellished or have told partial truths. Some have been scorned, by being fired, not hired or otherwise passed over. They choose to grind an axe in the only place they have an audience, but no worries. Its just the internet.

This thread has nothing to do with illegal seizures, just a cop doing his job and a normal guy telling the story. Stop making mountains out of mole hills.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would have been intimidated by that stop-and-chat, even if the LEO was being casual. I read it as a friendly warning, but a warning nonetheless.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Administrator
    And some people are scared of their own shadows... there is nothing the police can do to fix that. They can't not do their job because of that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think I'd have smiled, cocked my head a little and said "I am a local" in a lighthearted, slightly confused tone. Just to see where it would have gone. Then play it by ear from there. I think tone of voice and body language have a lot to do with an encounter like this.

The way the OP laid it out I don't think I'd have taken offense. I've seen them go a lot worse. Depending on how the encounter progressed I may have smarted off a little in a joking manner once I was sure my particular brand of humor would be appreciated (it isn't always).

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links