Interesting LEO interaction tonight. - Page 4

Interesting LEO interaction tonight.

This is a discussion on Interesting LEO interaction tonight. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Devone6 I think we're on the same page here. I just kind of wanted to state my case in response to your comments. As I ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Devone6

I think we're on the same page here. I just kind of wanted to state my case in response to your comments.

As I said in one of my earlier posts, I don't think I would have taken offense in this situation. In this case neither did the original poster.

On the other hand I've been present when Phoenix's finest did not handle the situation so well. Profanity, thug like behavior, threatening behavior, verbal threats, misquoting or not aware of the law.

From my experiences I'm a little wary of Phoenix PD if I ever get stopped, but I still asses and judge each officer individually. Like any profession there's good and bad.

Thanks for the reply,

Holdcard

Just an afterthought.
    I'm not an officer, I don't break the law so I don't get much interaction on that level. I've learned a lot from watching discussions like this. A lot of my thinking has been rearranged due to what I've learned here.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Quote Originally Posted by theghostrider View Post
    I must be missing something then. I was basing my statement on what you said:

Now it sounds like you contradicting this.
    You are missing something. You quoted my post where I explained that stopping a vehicle using blue lights and stopping on the side of the road and activating blue lights to warn traffic of a vehicle stopped in an unusual place are different.

In any event, the OP told us in a later post that he was talking about hazard lights, not emergency lights. In no way, shape, or form can activating hazard lights be argued as a signal to stop.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    You are missing something. You quoted my post where I explained that stopping a vehicle using blue lights and stopping on the side of the road and activating blue lights to warn traffic of a vehicle stopped in an unusual place are different.

In any event, the OP told us in a later post that he was talking about hazard lights, not emergency lights. In no way, shape, or form can activating hazard lights be argued as a signal to stop.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I realized that the OP had clarified things, but was interested in clarification on your statements. Appreciate you getting back to me on it.

The LEO was simply practicing and "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" trying to give the guy a heads up. He did not harass him in anyway. The OP does not appear to be upset in any way about this stop none of you should be.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I am NOT an officer. I am NOT a lawyer. And I am NOT a LEO basher.

But I've recently gotten some advise that makes me wonder whether even an innocent interaction with the police is a good idea and can go horribly wrong.

If I am remembering the scenario correctly and applying it to this situation...

There has been an armed robbery down at the local Slurp & Go. Police cruising the area see you open carrying and stop to chat. You say you were at the park and in conversation the officer learns your name, residence, etc. You walk away thinking what a nice officer, he's even cool with OC. But he does have your info now and a statement from you about your whereabouts.

Now here is where it gets bad. The police later find a witness who claims (mistakenly) that they saw you up by the Slurp & Go around the time of the robbery, which is no where near the park. Now if the officer didn't have your (truthful) statement that you were at the park, they would have nothing on you . A witness seeing you near the scene of a crime means nothing, but combined with your claim that you were elsewhere may cause problems for you. They have a witness that can place you near the scene, and your "lie" about being at the park. Now they may be able to come after you even though you are innocent and were truthful and it was just a casual conversation.

I do not know the real risk in this sort of situation. I do know that I am questioning whether I have been too forthcoming, too often with officers who were just being friendly.

Note the original scenario didn't even involve open carry.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links