Someone tried to run me over while open carrying!

This is a discussion on Someone tried to run me over while open carrying! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It could be that he saw your handgun, was looking at it and you, and distracted on his driving. You mentioned he looked scared. It ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Someone tried to run me over while open carrying!

VIP Member
    It could be that he saw your handgun, was looking at it and you, and distracted on his driving. You mentioned he looked scared.

It could be that he never saw your gun at all, and OC had nothing to do with it as far as the other driver was concerned. Perhaps he was just a crappy driver, and there's lots of those.

With a potential of 4 moving violations and you the pedestrian felt endangered, the police should be interested. Heck he might be the local driving idiot they thought was finally off the streets, but now he's back?

Me personally, I'm getting my tail out of the street and out of the way of a car, even if it's the drivers fault. The hospital isn't worth it, and IMHO "drawing" on a goofy driver is likely a no-win deal.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    Well, if somebody did try to run you over then the police CAN do something about it. It’s called vehicular assault and could be even worse depending on their intent.

If you really think they were trying to run you down, you should have called 911.

If, however, you think that they were just trying to get around you and were scared of your gun, then you have encountered one of the issues that everybody who carries openly has to put up with every day – A SHEEP!
    If someone tried to run me over but didn't touch me the police can't do anything other than MAYBE give them a stern verbal warning. They slammed their brakes and were about a foot away from me when they came to a stop.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I'm confused...

Do you think they were trying to run you over because you were OC'ing?

Or is it just that you were shocked because you were open carrying and some knucklehead doesn't know how to drive despite the fact that you were visibly armed?
    No, they were just a clueless idiot running a red light, turning right on a 'no turn on red' sign, and not paying attention to me. He probably didn't see the pistol until I turned to yell at him; if at all.
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

Quote Originally Posted by doobie View Post
    If someone tried to run me over but didn't touch me the police can't do anything other than MAYBE give them a stern verbal warning. They slammed their brakes and were about a foot away from me when they came to a stop.

No, they were just a clueless idiot running a red light, turning right on a 'no turn on red' sign, and not paying attention to me. He probably didn't see the pistol until I turned to yell at him; if at all.
    Now I am confused. You keep saying that he tried to run you over, but the rest of your description makes it sound like he was just distracted and almost hit you by accident. These are two VERY different things.

If it was a just a near miss because he was distracted, and he was not intentionally trying to hit you, then you are correct and the Police probably would not do much.

But, if he was intentionally trying to run you over, like you said, then he committed a violent crime and the Police should be notified. Even if there were no witnesses other than you, the Police MUST investigate the report of a violent crime, like vehicular assault.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Probably a question of semantics at this point, but what's the first thing that pops into your head when something like this happens:

"That idiot just tried to run me over!"

Hence, that's how the story here starts.

Seriously...are you asking advice as to what you should have done, relating to your weapon and a car/pedestrian near miss?

My advice...leave your weapon at home. You put your hand on your weapon because someone almost hit you? Here's my answer...if you are asking advice...keep your gun in your pants in this case. Drawing your weapon or putting your hand anywhere near your weapon to deal with the situation described is ridiculous.

My opinion...

In Orange County they put up red light cameras to try and stop bad drivers from running lights and the lawyers got hold of it and sued to stop their use. This has been going on for 2 years. If you were to open carry here or not they would run over you just for the heck of it.

Some guy...tried to run me over last weekend. I was crossing a road at a cross walk where I had the Walk sign (and there is an electronic "No turn on red" sign at that point). The guy came around the corner without stopping...through the no turn on red sign...nearly hitting me in the process. I turned and yelled at him since the window was open and had my hand near my pistol cuz I had no idea if he was going to continue to run me over...He looked pretty scared. I continued to walk and he tried to go around me where upon he almost hit me AGAIN...If he had hit me and I was capable I'd have drawn at the guy...The guy behind him turned as well...I think I'm going to stand at that intersection with a video camera and open carry and record everyone who runs the light.... of course the police can't do anything unless they witness it....so maybe it's useless.
    OK.
    ...No, they were just a clueless idiot running a red light, turning right on a 'no turn on red' sign, and not paying attention to me. He probably didn't see the pistol until I turned to yell at him; if at all.
    This is a very different statement than your title and opening post suggest, and sounds more accurate, to me. Others have taken issue with your consideration of deadly force in reaction to a failure to yield and near accident. I'm interested in hearing the open carry issue you wanted to discuss?
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Concord, NH: N. Main St and Loudon Rd.
    That's a bad intersection to begin with. Lot's of traffic...

Administrator
    and the price of tea in china is??
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    and the price of tea in china is??
    It is currently:
    Price of Tea in China

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links