Good: We need more churchs like this (Merged X 3)

This is a discussion on Good: We need more churchs like this (Merged X 3) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As for Arkansas, there was treachery involved in not getting carry in the churces passed, and some parties that were quilty of such ought to ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Good: We need more churchs like this (Merged X 3)

Senior Moderator
    As for Arkansas, there was treachery involved in not getting carry in the churces passed, and some parties that were quilty of such ought to be hung for high crimes and treason.

That's all I'm gonna say about that.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

He must have been reading from a completely different bible than I did... Sure he may not have used those exact words, but he didn't say to roll over and die either.

Arkansas and Georgia recently rejected efforts to allow people to carry concealed weapons in church. Watching the debate in Arkansas was John Phillips, pastor of the Central Church of Christ in Little Rock. In 1986, Mr. Phillips was preaching in a different church there when a gunman shot him and a parishioner. Both survived, but Mr. Phillips, 51, still has a bullet lodged in his spine.

In a telephone interview, he said he found the idea of “packing in the pew” abhorrent.

“There is a movement afoot across the nation, with the gun lobby pushing the envelope, trying to allow concealed weapons to be carried in places where they used to be prohibited — churches, schools, bars,” Mr. Phillips said.

“I don’t understand how any minister who is familiar with the teachings of the Bible can do this,” he added. “Jesus didn’t say, ‘Go ahead, make my day.’ ”
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

cmb
    I don't mind replying to this as I have given it alot of thought since I am a pastor. I have drawn my line so that if one wants to attack me physically or vebally because of my faith and my belief in Jesus Christ I will accept what ever for the sake of the gospel in a martyr situation. However, if a lunatic with a gun, or someone off their meds picks my family or my church at random with no regard or reasoning (this seems to be the case most of the time in western culture, there is no resoning with people in this state of mind) then I feel the right to protect myself, my family and my congregation. I feel I have the upper hand because I see what is going on in the congregation so the element of suprise is in my favor. To die for no reason is just a statistic. We are also to protect from injustice and Old testament laws are valid and still the basis of our country. It is a touchy situation and many may disagree, perhaps as many as agree. I have already told my church that there will never be an object lesson (I use these often) which involves anything resembling a real weapon, and if someone sees one to take appropriate action. We have had some distrubances but never an escalation of any kind.

"Well, a gun that's unloaded ain't good for nuthin'."

John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn in True Grit
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

Churches Official Site

I can appreciate what he's trying to do as far as raising awareness. But I would not attend with empty firearms. It's only my opinion but he's celebrating the right to carry gun shaped clubs, not firearms.

I can appreciate the safety concerns and would agree to designated safety areas where people can handle, discuss and train people in the safety aspects as well as having a safe place to show off your firearm.

It seems kind of hypocritical to celebrate the right to bear arms, while not actually allowing people to bear arms. An unloaded gun does not really count as bearing arms to me. When I exercise my right to bear arms, they are loaded and ready to go.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    The last time I was in a church, I CC.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    EVERY time I am in church I CC. We welcome law abiding citizens to CC in our church whenever they would like to. I just don't get what the big deal is with this story...
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

According to the Pastor there was nothing wrong with carrying your CONCEALED weapon hot and ready to go. If it was to be open carried it must be unloaded.

In an interview he stated it was Range Rules (unloaded unless you were at the firing line) for OPEN CARRY ONLY.... He also stated there probably were many people with loaded concealed weapons at the services.

BTW the Church's insurance carrier cancelled its liability policy and will not reinstate it.

bosco

Interesting quote from the article:

“There is a movement afoot ... to allow concealed weapons to be carried in places where they used to be prohibited — churches, schools, bars,” Mr. Phillips said.

“I don’t understand how any minister who is familiar with the teachings of the Bible can do this,” he added. “Jesus didn’t say, ‘Go ahead, make my day.’ ”
    Since humans walked upright, it has been acknowledged that occasional defense of innocents is necessary in order to thwart evil. It was known centuries ago. It's known today, despite those attempting to tear down that wisdom. By any standard, and by all that's holy, defending the innocent is an honorable task and duty. So, how is it upstanding people can take this stand? One should ask, rather, how an upstanding person could not.

Nothing surprising to us, here.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    BTW the Church's insurance carrier cancelled its liability policy and will not reinstate it.
    Short-sighted people who are absolutely not interested in the health and well-being of the insured. Typical.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

So Kentuckians, did you OC in church today?

CMB,

"I have drawn my line so that if one wants to attack me physically or vebally because of my faith and my belief in Jesus Christ I will accept what ever for the sake of the gospel in a martyr situation. However, if a lunatic with a gun, or someone off their meds picks my family or my church at random with no regard or reasoning (this seems to be the case most of the time in western culture, there is no resoning with people in this state of mind) then I feel the right to protect myself, my family and my congregation."

Sorry, but in my opinion anyone who wants to attack me because of my faith is a LUNATIC who has lost the ability to reason. This being said I feel I would have the right to protect myself and would not even consider becoming a Martyr. And as you stated "To die for no reason is just a statistic. We are also to protect from injustice and Old testament laws are valid and still the basis of our country."

IMHO

bosco

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Um...we invite people to bring theirs on any given Sunday...as long as they are concealed. And we ARE the private security. What use are unloaded guns? That strikes me as patently ridiculous.
    +1 We celebrate "Concealed Carry Sunday" every week.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    +1 We celebrate "Concealed Carry Sunday" every week.
    Glad to see there are some sheep dogs protecting your flock.

bosco

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    "Only cowards go unarmed."
    Hi Tubby,

I have to take issue with that statement.
    I personally know men who are combat vets, and retired LEOs who do not carry. Those men are anything but cowards, and have proven their courage in the face of fire. I wonder if you have.

As for the pastor I do not object to his taking a stand on 2A. However, assuming he is called by Christ, he is called to preach the gospel and sound doctrine, and not to spend a lot of energy on gun rights.

I would attend a church where the leadership did not want me to carry, but I would not attend a church where the emphasis was on social problems, including 2A, instead of the gospel message, and strong Bible preaching.
    Once in a while, OK, but to spend energy and resources on other than Biblical preaching is not acceptable. That is not what the church is called to do.

Regards,
    Jerry

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    we have one in michigan
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links