Hooksett, NH cop acts belligerent and uses profanity to Law-Abiding Citizen for OCing

This is a discussion on Hooksett, NH cop acts belligerent and uses profanity to Law-Abiding Citizen for OCing within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You have a way with words there Sergeant Mac......

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Hooksett, NH cop acts belligerent and uses profanity to Law-Abiding Citizen for OCing

Senior Moderator

You have a way with words there Sergeant Mac...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    I wouldn't say that he DESERVES it.

(just that he thereby forfeits any believable claim of surprise or righteous indignation)
    For sure.

In these times, most people are trying to improve the image of guns and gun owners in our society. Doobie clearly thinks he is doing this, when in reality he is actually creating a very negative image of guns, gun owners, and especially open carriers in the eyes of the law enforcement and the general public.

Having the right to do something doesn't always make it the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    I wouldn't say that he DESERVES it.

(just that he thereby forfeits any believable claim of surprise or righteous indignation)
    +1 With you on this. Surprise or righteous indignation is a bit of a stretch.
    But I will NOT tell him not to open carry again.
    That is the law.

My self, have never and will never be interested in open carry.
    in my opinion, concealed is a better option. But, if another wants to exercise there rights, then I applaud them doing so.
    If you want to yell at the top of your voice that “we should eat white paste” I will fully support the right to do so. But do not expect me to agree with it.
    This falls in the same category.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

VIP Member
    I see not showing the ID even as just a courtesy, makes it seem confrontational. I think once approached, showing ID rather you are required to or not, shows cooperation and goes more towards our cause.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    My opinion: what was achieved in the video was to portray OCers as troublemakers intent on ticking off LEOs unnecessarily. The result is that this particular officer is now solidly in the side of anti gunners and will pass his feelings to other officers and will also be a free spokesperson for Brady and Co. if they decide to gather their wits and try to pass a law in that state restricting OC. Instead of stopping 5 minutes and address the officer explaining that OC is legal, that you were an average citizen engaged in his normal life and obeying the law and proving it to him by having the decency of showing some ID and even a business card with your organization's name and website so he could check it out. Hell maybe inviting him and his fellow officers & family to one of those OC picnics I hear about just to hang out and have a burger or two so they can see that your fellow OCers are just regular law abiding citizens that just happen to exercise their rights. So instead of educating a LEO, you created an enemy of OC and gun rights in general. Plus the unnecessary waste of taxpayers money having the patrol car follow you around.

I see no difference between your actions and the actions of groups like Code Pink or the Westboro Baptist Church.

It is my humble opinion that individuals like you are a risk on the Second Amendment Right of everybody else.

We must seek to educate & convince on the righteousness of our cause.
    Very well said........

VIP Member
    If you want to make a point to "yourself" go ahead and OC , but leave the camera at home. Why do you feel you have to show the world what you are calling "harrassment" by recording it? The recording of it makes it seem confrontational.
    If I want to OC, I'll OC. If i get questioned by police, I'll show them ID or whatever I have to, to show them I'm willing to cooperate,
    I have to agree with others on here. Under the already strains of our 2nd ammendment rights, this is doing us no good.

New Hampshire LEO's are uninformed

As a prior New Hampshire resident. I must respond to this. The video is quite confusing. This person and others have been doing this in response to others being arrested for the "legal" carrying of an open firearm. When these people are brought to court and found not guilty. It doesn't end there. They do not recover court cost or legal fees as should be the case. New Hampshire is quite unique. I doesn't have an open carry law. On the other hand, it is not illegal to open carry. The police are not trained in this. That is what this is all about. To bring awareness to the local law enforcement agencies. It was never an issue untill all the Lib's started moving to New Hampshire to beat the the taxes of their own states. They also wanted to bring their paranoia with them.

OC is lawful in many places. It should be no more suspicious than wearing BDU pants, boots, or a hat with a "hello kitty" logo. (OK, that IS kind of weird)

Sergeant Mac explained what it was about the OP which added up to his appearing "suspicious", but I have no doubt that he could compose a list of actions and behaviors which he could call reasonable articulable suspicion for ANYONE after observation for 10 minutes.

I could be "suspicious" for walking, rather than driving, for making a phone call, or hanging up when a police oficer comes up to talk to me, for recording myself or things around me.

Doobie, please find another hobby. We have enough troubles with police without your looking to create incidents. So far, you've dealt with police with enough sense to avoid doing something actionable to you. Keep this up and you'll meet an LEO who will do much more than you are prepared for.

Whether you OC, or CC, try to avoid deliberately doing an impression of a criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    It is not the duty of citizens to entice injustifiable police behavior. The is childish, irresponsible, and deserves whatever outcome occurs.?
    So if he had been shot by the police he would have deserved it?

A person would ot call police unless they had concern. The police have a duty to respond, not dismiss the concerns of the public they serve.
    Part of that service is knowing the law. It's pretty hard to enforce the law if you are ignorant of the law, isn't it?

That is the point! You cannot tell the difference between a thug and a law abiding citizen.The thug is simply walking down the street doing nothing llegal...yet. Profiling is absolutely an important tool in determing further action or investigation..
    So to be on the safe side consider everyone a thug until they can prove otherwise?

Providing identification and answering a few simple questions should not be feared and does not portend a police state. Why are some so frightened by police?
    Why are some so eager to give them a pass on everything?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    How about no ID?

I'm not saying that OCing is wrong, especially among the LAW ABIDING. I'm stating that you should have ID on you when you are armed, this way they can do a quick check to ensure you are a LAW ABIDING citizen.

Going out armed and without ID is asking for trouble. Not to mention going out armed, no ID and video taping yourself trolling for a response.
    Then perhaps the law there should require you to carry ID when armed, but it doesn't.

The police are there to enforce the law, not make it up as they go.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Sorry, I'm one of the guilty parties here. It just chaps me to see our own undermining our cause foolishly. In maintaining our RKBA, winning in the courts of public opinion is quite important. In my little neck of the woods the Law Enforcement people I know are mostly supportive of the rights of the individual to keep and bear arms and I'd like to keep it that way. What better allies could we have than those who enforce the law? What is to be gained by antagonizing them with uncooperative and silly behavior? We are the good guys and we would do well to project that image.
    His compliance with the law antagonized them? Remember, he did nothing illegal. The police enforce existing laws. They don't get to make up new ones as they go along.

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Behavior like this, and the accompanying Youtube video are what inspire jurisdictions to pass anti-open carry laws. It may be legal, but is it desirable to antagonize citizens and their law enforcement? This kind of stunt virtually ensures anti-gun legislation.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    doobie, let me be clear. I appreciate what you are trying to do, but I also think they way you are trying to do it is wrong. You are asking for trouble and you are not painting the community in the best light. Its is never wise to attempt a ******* match with a cop on the street. More than likely, you will lose that match. However, taking a more tactful approach, I can almost guarantee a positive outcome.

What you are doing is giving the cop whats called reasonable suspicion to investigate you and what you are doing. This has been upheld in the highest of courts time and time again. You are not being "harassed" when you invite the encounter by doing what a lot of people or what is defined as a "reasonable person" would find suspicious. You are not going to win your battle basing your case on that. It is clear that you went looking for a confrontation, and a confrontation is what you got. Cops are not the huggy bears you think they should be, they are cops. They will cuss, spit, chew tobacco and sometimes are a little 'mean'. Sometimes they might kiss your backside for the heck of it, most of the time not. So, I'm really not sure where the problem with your encounter is. It seems as if you got almost exactly what you sought out that day.
    Cops might not be "huggy bears" but they are public servants and as such should act more professional than that.

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    Behavior like this, and the accompanying Youtube video are what inspire jurisdictions to pass anti-open carry laws. It may be legal, but is it desirable to antagonize citizens and their law enforcement? This kind of stunt virtually ensures anti-gun legislation.
    It was the citizens who decided to be antagonized by his legal behavior. Should he not exercise his option to open carry because someone could be antagonized by it? If so, what's the point?

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Links