Hooksett, NH cop acts belligerent and uses profanity to Law-Abiding Citizen for OCing - Page 15

Hooksett, NH cop acts belligerent and uses profanity to Law-Abiding Citizen for OCing

This is a discussion on Hooksett, NH cop acts belligerent and uses profanity to Law-Abiding Citizen for OCing within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by HotGuns ...... Since doobie was doing nothing illegal, doobie was free to go, and doobie knew that all along. Being free to ...

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Hooksett, NH cop acts belligerent and uses profanity to Law-Abiding Citizen for OCing

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Since doobie was doing nothing illegal, doobie was free to go, and doobie knew that all along.

Being free to go at any time was not an interrogation. Obviously, your version of the word is different than mine.

I think the officer would have went on red alert.

The guy is walking around with a gun. Now he refuses to respond to the officer. Flag # 1.

You dont know his intent, you dont know where he is going. He turns his back on you. Flag #2

He refuses any further communication.
    Flag #3.

First I was free to go, then apparently I wasn't free to go and would have raised 'red flags' had I tried to go? Sounds contradictory. I had to go back and read both posts and was confused about them coming from the same person.

If I misread one of your posts, please let me know.

But therein lies the rub.
    It IS the business of the police to respond to every call. Do you think they could just ignore it?
    Theoretically speaking, had they not responded and I had been a criminal with criminal intent via possession and use of my firearm, and they failed to deter/stop me, they police would in NO way be responsible for failing to deter/stop me.
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

Senior Moderator
    Towe different situations there Doobie.

You responded to the officers. Not the best reponse but at least you didnt walk off and ingnore them.

Had you done that, the outcome more than likely would have been very different.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    C'mon doobie, it's $10 for a resident permit. Your video camera cost a lot more than that.

It's not about the money for you, it's a cause that you're willing to die for.
    Camera was a birthday present a few years ago. Cost me nothing.

There is no permit for firearms in New Hampshire. It's been upheld in court. It is a license. A person was charged with lying to a police officer when they asked for their permit for the firearm and they said they didn't have one; they did however have a license. The charges were dropped in court when they had the author of the bill come to testify that in fact it is a license not a permit as the state can't PERMIT you to do something you have a constitutional right for but they can license it (not that I agree; I'm for Alaska style licensing).

I have one anyway, but likely won't be renewing it when it expires.

Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    Think again. You've been lucky.
    I'm not sure it would have anything to do with him being lucky more to the case of you being unlucky. With bad cops making up such a small percentage, the chance of being dealt with fairly is very high. Now those people who deal with police every day (criminals, homeless, trollers) run the same risk but as they deal with the police more often they become more likely to have an "incident." We all know how we feel about criminals but we appear to have mixed feelings with trollers.
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    C'mon doobie, it's $10 for a resident permit. Your video camera cost a lot more than that.

It's not about the money for you, it's a cause that you're willing to die for.
    Thats right. doobie got lucky. What if it was a cop that had just passed his FTO and it was his first day out by himself? How do you think he would have acted?

Lots of potential to go very badly here. Fortunately it didn't. If the whole thing did go wrong it would have been a very hard lesson to learn.
    That is why there was another officer behind me with a big smile on his face, probably highly entertained by the events that transpired.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny85 View Post
    I can understand this stance. I have never been a police officer but I have had bad experiences with some. However my thinking would be that these people, who feel police are predisposed to abusing their authority, would try and avoid police encounters not seek them out to exploit them and there by gain some fame on youtube.

Doobie just be glad you haven't truelly run into a bad cop yet
    Doobies final video
    Fame or infamy? Personally, I don't want either but whatever compels people to do what they feel they need to is different for everyone. I can't say what doobie is doing is my kind of protest/education/enlightment/whatever but he's doing what he feels he needs to and it's more than most of us are doing. I applaud him for not giving in to the popular opinion and doing what he needs to. Sometimes the majority isn't always right, or is it?
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I can understand this stance. I have never been a police officer but I have had bad experiences with some. However my thinking would be that these people, who feel police are predisposed to abusing their authority, would try and avoid police encounters not seek them out to exploit them and there by gain some fame on youtube.

Doobie just be glad you haven't truelly run into a bad cop yet
    Doobies final video
    When the officer talked about respect and the badge, and was yelling, my response would have been "Respect is earned, not worn."

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    It is also very clear that there are those that support the idea that we should always yield to authority figures, no matter what they do.
    It has nothing to do with yielding, it is a simple matter of being cooperative and respectful, a sign of maturity. Normal people would simply answer a few basic uestions and provide ID. Why not? There is NO good reason. The only reason is to draw the negative attention garnered here. Many people have provided good suggestions for proper behavior and methods for successfully open carrying without the confrontation. But that is not the goal at all.

The LEO bashing is tiresome. The fault lies with the LEO baiter entirely.

It is scary that some gun carriers are unable to understand basic etiquette and adult behavior. With such a lack of good judgement in a simple scenario it is problematic to consider the lack of judgement in a stressful encounter.

Senior Moderator
    When the officer talked about respect and the badge, and was yelling, my response would have been "Respect is earned, not worn."
    Respect goes both ways.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'm not sure it would have anything to do with him being lucky more to the case of you being unlucky. With bad cops making up such a small percentage, the chance of being dealt with fairly is very high. Now those people who deal with police every day (criminals, homeless, trollers) run the same risk but as they deal with the police more often they become more likely to have an "incident." We all know how we feel about criminals but we appear to have mixed feelings with trollers.
    If you feel someone doing something that is perfectly legal is trolling, then that's your choice.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    From what I recall, you made similar statements about the Dickson City bunch last year in PA.
    There are similarities and differences. Those in the restaurant were not trolling for trouble as the OP in this thread. They were trying to mind their own business. The situation is similar as the confrontation could have been defused in seconds by simply showing ID. These same people have no problem showing ID to use a credit card, board a plane or rent a car. It is simply a sign of immaturity, which some take much pride in, that allows such childish behavior. If I were a psychologist I would suggest a lack of authoritative parets and so did not learn basic adult interaction.

In the past year, things have changed dramatically in Dickson City and PA...for the better.
    As I recall, the restaurant was subsequently posted.

PA officers have had manditory MPOTEC on OC issues and interaction with OCers. Negative interactions seem to have decreased dramatically.
    Do you think that is because the trolls learned the erro of their ways? Of course not!

it's "thank God" for those uncooperative jerks.
    Cheering uncooperative jerks. Interesting perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    It has nothing to do with yielding, it is a simple matter of being cooperative and respectful, a sign of maturity. Normal people would simply answer a few basic uestions and provide ID. Why not? There is NO good reason. The only reason is to draw the negative attention garbered here. Many people have provided good suggestions for proper behavior and methods for successfully open carrying without the confrontation. But that is not the goal at all.

The LEO bashing is tiresome. The fault lies with the LEO baiter entirely.

It is scary that some gun carriers are unable to understand basic etiquette and adult behavior. With such a lack of good judgement in a simple scenario it is problematic to consider the lack of judgement in a stressful encounter.
    No good reason? Except that the law doesn't require it and Doobie was within the law. The police officer doesn't have to like the law, but he does have to stay within the law just like the rest of us. Not to mention the language used by the police officer wasn't very professional or geared towards getting willful compliance. If you consider us expecting LEOs to operate completely within the law as "LEO bashing", then that's your call.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    and it's more than most of us are doing.
    Most of us are responsible gun owners. We protect ourselves and our families. We support legislation that enables us to protect ourselves in all situations. We do not act like jerks provoking law enforcement.

This type of LEO baiting is entirely negative for gun owners. Many people fail to understand that, which is why this thread continues so long. It is simply entertainment for the OP and he has not one shred of any other motive.

No good reason? Except that the law doesn't require it and Doobie was within the law.
    Acting like a jerk is not illegal either. It is not something to be proud of.

The police officer doesn't have to like the law, but he does have to stay within the law just like the rest of us.
    Are you accusing the LEO of breaking the law?

Not to mention the language used by the police officer wasn't very professional or geared towards getting willful compliance.
    It is quite obvious the OP was not going to cooperative.

If you consider us expecting LEOs to operate completely within the law as "LEO bashing", then that's your call.
    I expect people over the age of ten to act responsibly. I guess that is too much to expect of the new generation. We have had threads lamenting the disrespectful, whiney young people. Some are perfect examples of that behavior.
    Last edited by JD; June 9th, 2009 at 01:53 AM.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    There are similarities and differences. Those in the restaurant were not trolling for trouble as the OP in this thread. They were trying to mind their own business. The situation is similar as the confrontation could have been defused in seconds by simply showing ID. These same people have no problem showing ID to use a credit card, board a plane or rent a car. It is simply a sign of immaturity, which some take much pride in, that allows such childish behavior. If I were a psychologist I would suggest a lack of authoritative parets and so did not learn basic adult interaction.
    Sounds a bit different from last year. I thought they were trolling for trouble last year? There was a lot more to it than just not IDing themselves. Don't remember, huh? Showing ID at the whim of any officer is your choice but there are an awful lot of folks out there that don't feel they should have to if they've done nothing wrong. Thankfully, the courts usually back that up. Darn, childish judges. Funny, but sometimes you do sound like a psychology student.

As I recall, the restaurant was subsequently posted.
    But you CAN carry openly in most places in Dickson City and not get stopped and ID'd for no reason.

Do you think that is because the trolls learned the erro of their ways? Of course not!
    No, it's because the LE agencies educated their officers to the error of THEIR ways with a lot of credit due to those people at the restaurant and others like them.

Cheering uncooperative jerks. Interesting perspective.
    Uncooperative jerks is your term and it doesn't fit. Those people have done a lot of good for both gun owners and LE. You know, less tension and confusion between the two, that kinda thing. Funny thing is, MOST people could care less about OC and the public, in general, ain't scared of us. Go figure!
    Last edited by kpw; June 9th, 2009 at 01:14 AM. Reason: missed a bracket
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sponsored Links