Wally World OC / My first idiot

This is a discussion on Wally World OC / My first idiot within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do we have a WWW for OC? Well I did one yesterday (and I swear, this is my last OC report for now, don't worry) ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wally World OC / My first idiot

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

Wally World OC / My first idiot

Do we have a WWW for OC?

Well I did one yesterday (and I swear, this is my last OC report for now, don't worry) because I was carrying and then the family wanted to go to WW to pick up some stuff.

So we're there, and I figured like the CC WWW, I'd probably feel weird like "everyone knows!" But duh, it's obvious this way.

I figured there was at least a partial excuse for the sheep when people CC. I mean, they're not looking for it, it's concealed, why would they notice? Well apparently, they don't have a CLUE, even with OC!

Started off at Outdoor/Ammo. Of course, they are out of 9mm. Figured for sure someone would say something, or at least cast their eyes down to see Ziggy on my hip, especially being that I was at the AMMO COUNTER! Nope. Zip. Nada. Nothing.

Went over to furniture, got a bean bag chair for Bunny Jr, and some supplies for his annual snow cone stand (which opens today). Had to go to the back area to wait for them to get a bean bag chair out from the stock area. 25 minutes later, here's where my first idiot comes in: As we're waiting, some of the WW staff is coming in and out through the double doors that lead to the back area (employees only) everyone was very nice, asking if they could help, and then these two teenage wannabe gangbangers come out. The short one looks right at my hip, throws his hands up in the air and yells "Don't shoot me!"

We're RIGHT under the security cameras, it was pretty obvious I wasn't doing anything like he was acting like I was doing. Then he hits his buddy in the arm and goes "look man, she gotta gun, put your hand up, yo"

*sigh*

I smiled politely and said "don't do that, what's wrong with you? We're right under security cameras. Isn't it pretty obvious that I'm sitting here, patiently, with my family and NOT threatening you?" He goes "Man, I'm from Trenton, New Jersey." I just looked at him expectantly. He goes "some dude pulled a knife on me once." Uh huh. What does that have to do with me right now? So I asked "you obviously got away, did you have a gun?" He goes "naw, man, I'm all trained in martial arts!"

Lord, please keep your arm around me for strength and your hand around my mouth for when I'm not strong enough. I bit my tongue so hard, I could taste blood. I just smiled and said "well I'm happy you're safe now. But please don't joke about or make a big deal like that again, it could have ended badly if someone thought you were serious and I was trying to harm you, okay?"

The rest of the trip went well. Went to baby supplies and got a new baby gate for the dogs, got some Japanese beetle spray (they're decimating my heirloom roses!) and new batteries for the smoke alarms.

Anyone else do the OC Wally Walk yet?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

2. Remove Ads

Ya,. It is amazing how un-aware people are normally.. If people only knew,.. Some may be shocked.. LOL.. Sounds like it all went great for you..

I cannot stand ignorant thugs.

Not Wally World but...

Bunny I just love your writing. This latest one reminded me of a couple I had. Not quite as exciting but.. here they are.

I have been shopping with my mother twice, open carry with a Kimber 1911, condition one. (open carry is legal in Michigan)

I have been asked, "Is that a real gun on your hip" both times. Now I am 48 years old, full head of hair, full beard with a little gray in it. Why would I be carrying a toy gun?

Guess I will just have to stop shopping with my mother (grin).

I almost wanted to respond "no I am 48 years old and here with my mother of course it is a toy gun" but I didn't.

The first time at an auto parts dealer, the guy also asked me why he couldn't carry a gun, I told him I don't know, do you own one, Open Carry is legal in Michigan. Then the guy behind the counter said yes it is and that was the end of the discussion.

The second time was at a supermarket. A store employeey told me I had to cover it up. I told him no as open carry is legal in Michigan and he said no it was not. He even went back and checked with a woman who had just taken her CPL (concealed pistol license) course and told me she said it was not legal.

I printed off the information from Packing.org and OpenCarry.org and my sister took it back to the store later that evening. Not sure what happened after that. I even offered to show him that it was legal if he had access to a computer with internet access but he was not interested. Oh well it was fun.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

Quote Originally Posted by ecbaatz View Post
    Bunny I just love your writing. This latest one reminded me of a couple I had. Not quite as exciting but.. here they are.

I have been shopping with my mother twice, open carry with a Kimber 1911, condition one. (open carry is legal in Michigan)

I have been asked, "Is that a real gun on your hip" both times. Now I am 48 years old, full head of hair, full beard with a little gray in it. Why would I be carrying a toy gun?

Guess I will just have to stop shopping with my mother (grin).

I almost wanted to respond "no I am 48 years old and here with my mother of course it is a toy gun" but I didn't.

The first time at an auto parts dealer, the guy also asked me why he couldn't carry a gun, I told him I don't know, do you own one, Open Carry is legal in Michigan. Then the guy behind the counter said yes it is and that was the end of the discussion.

The second time was at a supermarket. A store employeey told me I had to cover it up. I told him no as open carry is legal in Michigan and he said no it was not. He even went back and checked with a woman who had just taken her CPL (concealed pistol license) course and told me she said it was not legal.

I printed off the information from Packing.org and OpenCarry.org and my sister took it back to the store later that evening. Not sure what happened after that. I even offered to show him that it was legal if he had access to a computer with internet access but he was not interested. Oh well it was fun.
    Hey, I got the same question once at a gas station register............."Is that real". Also late 40's at the time. I had my hand in my pocket getting change and had a clip in that pocket so I took out the clip and said "yep its real".......with a shocked look the female clerk (have to give her credit here for knowing) said "Hollow points". I just stated "Yes, when you truly care you ONLY send the very best!" She just laughed, I paid and left.
    Remember when seconds count.......the police are only minutes away! or

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot shoot,
    Courage to shoot the people I can,

And the wisdom to know the difference

Some folks simply won't understand: I've long since strapped on honor and integrity; the firearm came much later and is simply there to support the honor and integrity. None of it threatens anyone.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I guess I got lucky on my first OC walk, no issues, no looks, no comments. Thank the Lord.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecbaatz View Post

Should have told them: "Nope, it's moms squirt gun, I'm just carrying it for her!"
    "Here's your sign."

VIP Member
    Good job Bunny. You passed the test with flying colors and will receive your CC/OC in the mail within a week!

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Great job biting your tongue Bunny. I find that I seldom get questioned about OC, (not that I OC all that often) and when I do a polite response gets the best results. Good on you for politely dealing with a dumb kid.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Do we have a WWW for OC?

Well I did one yesterday (and I swear, this is my last OC report for now, don't worry) because I was carrying and then the family wanted to go to WW to pick up some stuff.

So we're there, and I figured like the CC WWW, I'd probably feel weird like "everyone knows!" But duh, it's obvious this way.

I figured there was at least a partial excuse for the sheep when people CC. I mean, they're not looking for it, it's concealed, why would they notice? Well apparently, they don't have a CLUE, even with OC!

Started off at Outdoor/Ammo. Of course, they are out of 9mm. Figured for sure someone would say something, or at least cast their eyes down to see Ziggy on my hip, especially being that I was at the AMMO COUNTER! Nope. Zip. Nada. Nothing.

Went over to furniture, got a bean bag chair for Bunny Jr, and some supplies for his annual snow cone stand (which opens today). Had to go to the back area to wait for them to get a bean bag chair out from the stock area. 25 minutes later, here's where my first idiot comes in: As we're waiting, some of the WW staff is coming in and out through the double doors that lead to the back area (employees only) everyone was very nice, asking if they could help, and then these two teenage wannabe gangbangers come out. The short one looks right at my hip, throws his hands up in the air and yells "Don't shoot me!"

We're RIGHT under the security cameras, it was pretty obvious I wasn't doing anything like he was acting like I was doing. Then he hits his buddy in the arm and goes "look man, she gotta gun, put your hand up, yo"

*sigh*

I smiled politely and said "don't do that, what's wrong with you? We're right under security cameras. Isn't it pretty obvious that I'm sitting here, patiently, with my family and NOT threatening you?" He goes "Man, I'm from Trenton, New Jersey." I just looked at him expectantly. He goes "some dude pulled a knife on me once." Uh huh. What does that have to do with me right now? So I asked "you obviously got away, did you have a gun?" He goes "naw, man, I'm all trained in martial arts!"

Lord, please keep your arm around me for strength and your hand around my mouth for when I'm not strong enough. I bit my tongue so hard, I could taste blood. I just smiled and said "well I'm happy you're safe now. But please don't joke about or make a big deal like that again, it could have ended badly if someone thought you were serious and I was trying to harm you, okay?"

The rest of the trip went well. Went to baby supplies and got a new baby gate for the dogs, got some Japanese beetle spray (they're decimating my heirloom roses!) and new batteries for the smoke alarms.

Anyone else do the OC Wally Walk yet?
    I haven't yet but tell me which wally world was it?....so I will stay away from that one.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Should have told them: "Nope, it's moms squirt gun, I'm just carrying it for her!"
    "Here's your sign."
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrebnc1861 View Post
    I haven't yet but tell me which wally world was it?....so I will stay away from that one.
    Denver. One of the members here found some ammo at that one, so I thought I'd give it a shot. It's not TOO far of a drive, so we figured what the hey. Not sure I will go back as long as that little snot is working there.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Denver. One of the members here found some ammo at that one, so I thought I'd give it a shot. It's not TOO far of a drive, so we figured what the hey. Not sure I will go back as long as that little snot is working there.
    I have a suggestion do you know where Firepower is located in Mathews? They have decent prices on ammo.
    Last edited by JD; June 15th, 2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Removed bold font.

VIP Member
    Bunny, your story reminds me of someone's signature I once read...

"I see stupid people, they're everywhere. Some of them don't even know that they're stupid!"
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links