1st open carry encounter with police

This is a discussion on 1st open carry encounter with police within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually carry concealed, but am very comfortable with open carrying my Glock 27 on the right, spare mag on the left. Let me set ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1st open carry encounter with police

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar

1st open carry encounter with police

I usually carry concealed, but am very comfortable with open carrying my Glock 27 on the right, spare mag on the left. Let me set the scene by saying I was wearing kakhi shorts, a golf shirt, and topsiders with no socks. My point is, (not that I was trying to) I did not look like an off duty officer or security person.

Tonight my wife and I met another couple at a favorite Chinese restaurant in Memphis near Germantown. When I pulled in to the parking lot a Memphis PD cruiser also pulled in and parked close by. As my wife and I walked toward the door the 2 Memphis officers walked up behind us and to our right, I even turned and spoke to them as they approached the door, held it open for them and they came into the restaurant right behind us. I carry in a Don Hume 721 OT and there was no way they could have missed seeing that I was carrying.

After entering the restaurant...they had their dinner...we had our dinner...

That was it...end of story...no questions asked. The perfect open carry story.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Yay! Great encounter :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I had a similar encounter in Lynchburg, TN last Sunday morning. I parked my motorcycle and was getting ready to go into a cafe for breakfast when a guy parked beside me. We spoke in passing as he went into the same cafe. This guy joined his friends and it became obvious that he was an off duty sheriff by the conversation he was having with his friends. I had breakfast and left with no incident. I walked by their table and there was no doubt that that they saw I was carrying. No doubt I was a little nervous, but everything turned out well.
    "We have a decision to make; Either get busy living or get busy dying."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    I even turned and spoke to them as they approached the door, held it open for them and they came into the restaurant right behind us. I carry in a Don Hume 721 OT and there was no way they could have missed seeing that I was carrying.

Good story, good way for it to work out.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

...and the way it SHOULD be.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    ...and the way it SHOULD be.
    +1

Senior Moderator

That was it...end of story...no questions asked. The perfect open carry story

That was probably the best open carry story that I have heard on this forum.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

I agree!
    “Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.”
    - Ronald Reagan

Walking into the local QuickTrip. Passed 2 Phoenix LEO's sitting in their car at the front entrance. Could clearly see my Glock 30 OWB. I waved they waved. Good day.

I usually carry concealed, but am very comfortable with open carrying my Glock 27 on the right, spare mag on the left. Let me set the scene by saying I was wearing kakhi shorts, a golf shirt, and topsiders with no socks. My point is, (not that I was trying to) I did not look like an off duty officer or security person.

Tonight my wife and I met another couple at a favorite Chinese restaurant in Memphis near Germantown. When I pulled in to the parking lot a Memphis PD cruiser also pulled in and parked close by. As my wife and I walked toward the door the 2 Memphis officers walked up behind us and to our right, I even turned and spoke to them as they approached the door, held it open for them and they came into the restaurant right behind us. I carry in a Don Hume 721 OT and there was no way they could have missed seeing that I was carrying.

Exactly as it should be. Apparently no sheep in panic and screaming. I expect the experience you had would be similar in my town so long as the one open carrying did not arouse suspicion by projecting a negative image somehow.

VIP Member
    That's the way it should happen, well done!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

I find most LEO's will leave you alone if you are going about your business and not making a scene or point. I walked past a town LEO the other day sitting at Wal-mart. He was out of his car doing something. He nodded, I nodded and my strong side was facing him. I knew he had to have seen it. We parted ways and that was it.

It's when they get the sheep calls that they have to expect the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

thats how 99.9% of open carry stories go, completely uneventful
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    thats how 99.9% of open carry stories go, completely uneventful
    Amen to that!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    ... as they approached the door, held it open for them
    I guess you could say they have an "open door policy" to open carry.

Sorry, couldn't resist!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links