I Tested Montana's New OC Law Today.

This is a discussion on I Tested Montana's New OC Law Today. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Thumper Seems like I'm gonna have to break down and do my duty one of these days and OC if for no ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I tested Montana's New OC Law Today.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Seems like I'm gonna have to break down and do my duty one of these days and OC if for no other reason than because I still can!
    I do all the time....people i know ask why when the know i have the cc permit. my reply is i support the 2nd...

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Wish I had the option here. The more people do it, the more ordinary it becomes. Glad it went well for you.
    same here, i know our governor would approve it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Nope. Open carry has always been traditional in Montana, but was never actually legal by statute until this year, when the Governor signed HB228, the Montana Self Defense Law.
    I'm a bit lost here. Isn't everything legal unless otherwise prohibited by law? What am I missing?

Michael

HB228 was widely known as the Self Defense bill.

I really think what he means is that OC has always been legal, but the added Self Defense bill enforces the strengths that we have already had even more than before. HB228 in text http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2009/billhtml/HB0228.htm made more clearer in section 2 of HB228.

MCA 45-8-351 which has been on the books for quite sometime clearly definded to many city, towns and out of the way places that Montana clearly has been for the citizens of the state of Montana.

45-8-351. Restriction on local government regulation of firearms. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), no county, city, town, consolidated local government, or other local government unit may prohibit, register, tax, license, or regulate the purchase, sale or other transfer (including delay in purchase, sale, or other transfer), ownership, possession, transportation, use, or unconcealed carrying of any weapon, including a rifle, shotgun, handgun, or concealed handgun.
    (2) (a) For public safety purposes, a city or town may regulate the discharge of rifles, shotguns, and handguns. A county, city, town, consolidated local government, or other local government unit has power to prevent and suppress the carrying of concealed or unconcealed weapons to a public assembly, publicly owned building, park under its jurisdiction, or school, and the possession of firearms by convicted felons, adjudicated mental incompetents, illegal aliens, and minors.
    (b) Nothing contained herein shall allow any government to prohibit the legitimate display of firearms at shows or other public occasions by collectors and others, nor shall anything contained herein prohibit the legitimate transportation of firearms through any jurisdiction, whether in airports or otherwise.
    I did back in 2005, have while working as a deputy for PCSO, an argument with the sheriff when he told me that the Petroleum County Commissioners had enacted a city ordinance prohibiting the open carry of firearms while in the town of Winnett. I told him that what they had passed was an illegal set of rules that were unenforceable by the sheriff's dept, because Montana State Law preemption of any town, city or county laws.

Our Montana State Constitution is very strong, and will not be tread on by anyone from within the state or by those outside the state that pass federal laws.

For more information on Montana Gun Laws

Montana Gun Laws
    10mm Rocks

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Any time I OC in a fast food place, Johnny Zits behind the counter usually asks something along the lines of "Is that real"? and stupid non-sense like that.

Once I got a cool gun comment... Usually uneventful tho.

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Another happy OC story...

"Thank you Forefathers for granting us this privelege"
    Respectfully, the forefathers didn't grant us any privilege, they simply "acknowledged" our "God given right". Something we had already.

Just wanted to throw that in. :)

I can see at our next Cuss and Discuss this will be a topic of discussion.
    10mm Rocks

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    I could tell she was trying really, really hard not to look at my holstered Commander.
    I hope your Commander was in Condition 1!

Some years ago before I got smarter, I just about jumped out of my skin when I saw a private security guard in a big store in CT carrying an Officer's Model cocked + locked. Now I realize that most people who would even notice an openly-carried sidearm don't know enough to recognize Condition 1... when I see that on occasion out here in AZ I just smile knowingly to myself.

1943 - 2009
    I hope your Commander was in Condition 1!
    No need to hope. I carry in Condition One at all times.

What good is a 1911 if it isn't carried C&L?

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Respectfully, the forefathers didn't grant us any privilege, they simply "acknowledged" our "God given right". Something we had already.

Just wanted to throw that in. :)
    +100 on that Brah!!
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links