Going to Kansas tomorrow....going to open carry for the first time.

This is a discussion on Going to Kansas tomorrow....going to open carry for the first time. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to Kansas tomorrow....going to open carry for the first time.

VIP Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    Because you already have concealed permit, I am somewhat confused as to why it is so important to you to carry open in another state. I don't intend to be critical, but as I see it, possible reasons are:

__ It makes you feel safer.

__ For getting attention drawn to yourself.

__ It makes you feel important.

__ For shock and awe to those who do not like guns.

__ To make a political statement.

__ Because the law permits open carry, it provides an element of excitement.

__ Because it permits a quicker draw than drawing from concealed.

__ Other [Specifiy].
    Because, in some states, we are allowed to act like Americans and it is perfectly acceptable for an American to have the means to defend themselves available to them and there is no reason to hide that fact. Texas, not being one of those states, sadly, without having to pay a tax to the government to exercise a right which should be without cost to any American to exercise.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Congrats, funny thing is I'm going to traveling soon, and may get to OC soon too.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Congrats on that snippet of feeling free :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    It was a nice trip yesterday. Made for a very long day, but Kansas is a cool place, and I've lived there before. Open carried where allowed, and made stops in Pittsburg, Fort Scott, Edgerton, Baldwin City, and Lawrence. Two Wal Marts and several gas/convenience stores without a hitch. Both Wal Marts I went to had ammo, and Lawrence had plenty of 9mm, 40S&W, and 45acp, plus two bricks of 22lr 40gr solid Thunderbolt. I concentrated on the 9mm since that is what's hardest to come by around my home turf.
    If you make the trip again, drop me a note ( hoss@kansascas.com ). I live in Pittsburg and maybe we can meet up for a cup of coffee or make time to go to the range. If you drove into Pittsburg on 69 Hwy, you drove right past my house.

I'm curious about Lawrence. Did you OC there? It was my understanding that Lawrence was one of several cities that had regulations against OC.

Glad you had a good trip.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Administrator
    I'm glad it went well. I'm a big believer of doing "as the romans do" myself.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    If you make the trip again, drop me a note ( hoss@kansascas.com ). I live in Pittsburg and maybe we can meet up for a cup of coffee or make time to go to the range. If you drove into Pittsburg on 69 Hwy, you drove right past my house.

I'm curious about Lawrence. Did you OC there? It was my understanding that Lawrence was one of several cities that had regulations against OC.

Glad you had a good trip.

Hoss
    Hoss.......yes, I did go route 69 and stopped at Tyrell's service for gasoline and coffee at 06:19. Thanks for the offer, and maybe next time (if I can remember), and it may be soon. As far as the city of Lawrence, I contacted the Lawrence PD about it, and the only thing you cannot do while carrying openly or concealed for that matter is coming within 200yds of a bar or place where alcohol can be consumed by the drink. Lawrence PD can be contacted at 785-832-7509. I spent 12 minutes with them on the phone making sure. Basically any places off limits for CC are off limits for OC, and then there are the posted signs, and mainly all places that are off limits to me in my home state. All in all, I enjoyed visiting Kansas, and a state that's a bit more tuned to being pro 2A than my own.
    By the way......I carried the G19 IWB with my shirt tucked in, so it may have been a bit more conservative than just going to an obvious OWB holster...AND.....I had to be able to conceal well again since I had to cross through Missouri and of course back into my home state where OC is not allowed. I planned it all out before hand to the best of my abilities and research done in advance. What we do to assert our rights AND stay on the right side of the law! I could easily adapt to open carry, and as previously proposed......it would be a faster draw, and to tell the truth, about 80% of my training and matches involve drawing from OWB.

.........and the only thing you cannot do while carrying openly or concealed for that matter is coming within 200yds of a bar or place where alcohol can be consumed by the drink..........
    Well, I wouldn't want to argue with them unless they tried to arrest me, but they're incorrect about the concealed carry part. While the state does not have preemption for OC, they do for CC and no city can pass any ordinance regulating CC. The places off limits in the state are listed here. And as you can see from this document from the AG's web site about the changes after the passage of HB2528, even other locations that were off limits in the original bill (churches, schools, police stations, etc.) must now post a gunbuster sign to be able to prosecute for legally carrying concealed.

Hope to have a chance to meet up on one of your future trips.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Lawrence PD "mis-informed" you, coming from the most liberal and anti-gun area of the state, I cannot say that's a surprise. This says a lot about how SOME will "mis-inform" about the laws.

They cited you the city ordinance, but didn't tell you this part. ........

http://www.lawrenceks.org/city_code/.../chapter14.pdf
    (2) No part of this Section dealing with carrying a concealed revolver,
    pistol or firearm shall apply to:

(f) Any person licensed to carry a concealed firearm under
    the Kansas Personal and Family Protection Act, and
    amendments thereto, at such times and in such places
    as the person would be allowed to lawfully carry a
    concealed firearm under that act.

Nor, that Kansas Law (H.B. 2528) preempts all local ordinances and makes it legal to carry in churches, bars, etc. UNLESS they have an "approved Atty Gen signage" posted on the door. They only have to post if they do not want you to carry in their business.

http://www.ksag.org/files/shared/HB2...ifications.pdf (Ks Atty Gen - FAQ section on conceal carry).
    The requirements for “no concealed carry” signage also changed with the
    passage of HB 2528. In order to bring charges of unlawful concealed
    carry against a licensee, those properties previously enumerated under
    K.S.A. 75-7c10 (schools, bars, churches, school & professional athletic
    events, churches, etc.) must now be posted. One exception to this is the
    provision regarding carrying in or on areas prohibited by Federal law;
    these areas are under no obligation to post their properties.

PM
    As far as the city of Lawrence, I contacted the Lawrence PD about it, and the only thing you cannot do while carrying openly or concealed for that matter is coming within 200yds of a bar or place where alcohol can be consumed by the drink. Lawrence PD can be contacted at 785-832-7509.
    While I agree the Lawrence PD is/was a fount of Mis-information about bars and CC . . . want to bet that most "bar[s] or place where alcohol can be consumed by the drink" are posted in Lawrence? NOTE I SAID MOST!! I also thought that Lawrence had been told that the Ordinance would not pass the pre-emption test.

Well, I'm headed back up to Baldwin City, KS again this weekend driving the same route. Looking forward to OC again. I'll drop you a line cvhoss.

Heck, if you're going to keep coming to visit, you may as well move here. We'd be glad to have you.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I'm not sure Arkansas could do without me. I have given it some thought though, but things change.

Well there goes the "Let's Bail RamRod out of Jail Thread"Glad everything worked out,I'm originally from Salina Ks. I had no Idea OC was allowed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links