Georgia ccw traveling to illinois

Georgia ccw traveling to illinois

This is a discussion on Georgia ccw traveling to illinois within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello... ive searched around and cant really find a answer to my problem. I have a ccw permit from the state of georgia and im ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Georgia ccw traveling to illinois

Question Georgia ccw traveling to illinois

Hello... ive searched around and cant really find a answer to my problem. I have a ccw permit from the state of georgia and im going to illinois for the 4th of july weekend and id like to bring my XDm40. problem as yall may know is illinois does not honor our states permit. Now ive been told that illinois is a open carry state and ive see all sorts of different stuff on it yet not really sure about the laws.. depending on which articale i read depends on the info im told.. alot say different things.. so can i open carry wth my ccw in illinois.. or is it just best to keep it at the house for the weekend trip.. i am not going to chicago or any where around it as ive been told that area has different laws..

i have been to opencarry.org btw and that confused me more lol... these laws apply north of this highway, and this set of laws apply south of this highway and .. a whole nother set for the north east corner... wth...
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; June 14th, 2009 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Profanity workaround.
    XDm .40

Quote Originally Posted by gixxersixxer View Post
    Hello... ive searched around and cant really find a answer to my problem. I have a ccw permit from the state of georgia and im going to illinois for the 4th of july weekend and id like to bring my XDm40. problem as yall may know is illinois does not honor our states permit. Now ive been told that illinois is a open carry state and ive see all sorts of different stuff on it yet not really sure about the laws.. depending on which articale i read depends on the info im told.. alot say different things.. so can i open carry wth my ccw in illinois.. or is it just best to keep it at the house for the weekend trip.. i am not going to chicago or any where around it as ive been told that area has different laws..

i have been to opencarry.org btw and that confused me more lol... these laws apply north of this highway, and this set of laws apply south of this highway and .. a whole nother set for the north east corner... wth...
    Not a open carry state, repeat NOT. I live 58 years there.Now in Arizona.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; June 14th, 2009 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Profanity workaround in quoted post.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    NO..Dont even try it... I live across the river from Illinois and go there often. I have 3 siblings that live there.
    Before you get in Illinois, pull over, unload your gun and put it in a gun case. It does not have to be locked and the mag can be full. If its a revolver, you can put the ammo loosley in the case with the gun. The ammo and gun can be in the same case and it can sit on the seat right beside you. You do not havce to lock it in the trunk or keep the ammo seperate. Dont even think about carrying in any way in Illinois.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

ok thanks... thats all i needed to know...
    XDm .40

Also, have you tried joining Georgiacarry.org ?

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    NO..Dont even try it... I live across the river from Illinois and go there often. I have 3 siblings that live there.
    Before you get in Illinois, pull over, unload your gun and put it in a gun case. It does not have to be locked and the mag can be full. If its a revolver, you can put the ammo loosley in the case with the gun. The ammo and gun can be in the same case and it can sit on the seat right beside you. You do not havce to lock it in the trunk or keep the ammo seperate. Dont even think about carrying in any way in Illinois.
    Agreed. I'm also right across the river from IL. Don't try it. IL cops are somewhat known to be more harsh on out of state people so make sure you follow their laws to a "T".
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRags99 View Post
    Agreed. I'm also right across the river from IL. Don't try it. IL cops are somewhat known to be more harsh on out of state people so make sure you follow their laws to a "T".
    Benton, you're right down the road.........

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    Benton, you're right down the road.........
    Actually, it's technically Benton, but it's really Possum Trot. I work in Paducah though.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRags99 View Post
    Actually, it's technically Benton, but it's really Possum Trot. I work in Paducah though.
    Yeah I live between Monkeys Eyebrow and Possum Trot..(No joke ya'll)

I'll NEVER step foot back into IL ever again, unless they amend their gun laws to suit CC
    "Brains before Bullets"

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    I'll NEVER step foot back into IL ever again, unless they amend their gun laws to suit CC
    I go once a year, solely to see my elderly mother.

I really hate Chicago. I especially hate Chicago after midnight on the SE side, without a gun.

I'm an Illinois resident as well as a member of Illinoiscarry.com and I can tell you that you do not want to open carry in this state. I have a gun case from cabelas that locks and has the steel cable that is attached to the seat in my truck. When I leave, I unload it and lock it up in the gun case with the cable attached. I also printed out the ISP gun facts sheet that I keep in the case in case an over zealous cop wants to get a new toy.

If I go to walmart with the family in Illinois I will actually unlock the cable, relock the case and carry it in my planner. I keep that planner with me religiously...!!

I've since sent in for my Florida CCW and travel back and forth to Georgia at least 3 times a year.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I hate when I have to travel through Illinois. I hope our Illinois bretheren are successful with getting ccw through the legislature. It is looking better and better. The morons in Cook County are the real problem. They seem to think the rest of the state is as stupid as they are.
    NRA Life Member

NO, NO, NO...IL is NOT an OC state. Sorry, to all you IL folks but I don't like traveling though your state. Notice I said through it. Traveled through there last year on my way to fish in Minnesota and had to lock everything up before I got to your state line. Did not like that at all.

One thing I did notice is that there are plenty of signs all around the rural parts of the state promoting CC. Go for it guys and keep plugging away at it.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    So you'll NEVER be in Illinois again..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links