Defensive Carry banner

I have open carried before......

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  bigrebnc1861 
#1 ·
But today I did it every where I went. I went truck shopping today and the first place I stopped at was a Dodge dealership. The only comment that was made was the question are you a police officer? The second place I went was a Chevy dealership saleman is doing his saling pitch and the manger comes up and start talking, and ask me what kind of deal we could work out, the salesman at that time said let's give him what he want's he's got a gun. I smile half heartedly and siad I am excrising my Constitutional right. They said we are glad that you are. The next place I go the salesman first question was what are you carring, I said a Hi Point JHP 45, He said that was a good gun, everybody at that placed believed in carring openly. He was more interested in talking about guns then making a sale.
Ice cream shop no questions, Conventant stores no questions, wally world no questions. So I must ask why are some haveing problems with open carry?

#2 ·
I haven't quite built up the courage to start OC'ing...mainly because I'm younger, and I live in a pretty anti-gun/liberal city, in Missouri of all places. Most people here would assume it's either illegal, or I'm up to no good. I OC when I'm on my property, grilling, or whatever, and trying to slowly ease my way in. I really need to get my Maine Non-resident CCW though, just so I won't have to deal with unloading the gun, etc anytime I'm in a car.

Honestly, whereas a lot of people argue that OC'ing eliminates the element of surprise or paints you into a walking target for BG's, I would also argue that by OC'ing you not only get a chance to fully exercise your right to carry, but it can act as a deterrent of sorts.

Most gas station robberies, etc are usually done by people who are desperate or looking for an easy opportunity. For the most part, I think if they saw you OC'ing at a gas station they wanted to rob, they'd probably just drive another block and go to another one. I think that made sense.

Anyways, just my .02

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
There's no need to be ashamed of a right we have been given. The only shame would be to allow it to be taken away. It is my belief that if you don't excerise a right you will lose that right.

Some people open carry just to have problems. They seek out confrontations and negative attention. If they are ignored, as the response most who open carry receive, they will actively troll for trouble.
I do not seek any attention, I already get enough attention, more then I would like to get.

I would think appearance and dress have a lot to do with how you are received. If you look and dress like a bum folks are going to question. If you look presentable most folks are ok with that.

oldogy
I agree plus I would add the way you carry yourself also has a lot to do with it. If you act confident then I believe that tends to give others around you some security, but if you are acting like some billy bad ass (excuse the french) or thug then people become fearful.

We're almost neighbors! I too have found around here people are very supportive of OC (IF they even notice), with the idiot at WW being the only exception.

Bought gas today at the local stop-n-rob. We know the owner, and he was more concerned with what I was carrying than the fact that I was carrying. And making sure Junior knew how to shoot it! We walked back to the car and a uniformed LEO approached. I was worried that maybe she thought we were up to no good, she said no, she just noticed the out-of-state plates and wanted to make sure we knew we couldn't OC where posted here.

Said she wished more folks would carry around here. Well, the law-abiding ones. Would make the local LEO's jobs that much easier.
Bunny yes we are neighbors. What side of Charlotte do you live on? Do you ever get a chance to go to firepower?

#3 ·
He was more interested in talking about guns then making a sale.
Ice cream shop no questions, Conventant stores no questions, wally world no questions. So I must ask why are some haveing problems with open carry?
Some people open carry just to have problems. They seek out confrontations and negative attention. If they are ignored, as the response most who open carry receive, they will actively troll for trouble.

#8 ·
Based on Google searches, your sig line is from Mr. Jefferson.:comeandgetsome:

#4 ·
I would think appearance and dress have a lot to do with how you are received. If you look and dress like a bum folks are going to question. If you look presentable most folks are ok with that.

oldogy

#9 ·
How You OC

I agree with you entirely. I work security so when I travel to & from work I with my G26 on my right hip in a OWB holster. For the most part no one really gives me a second look under the circumstances. Since I started OC around 3 months ago I've only had one "questionable" experience with someone who was offended by me while ordering food at a McDonald's. Aside from that I have only positive experiences when I OC.

I've been tempted to OC into a few local WM's in normal attire to see what reaction, if any, I will get from the management. I'm not trying to go looking for a problem. But it would be helpful to know which WM's will not allow me to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights in their stores. If I do get a negative response in some way I will be diplomatically asking for a manager's name, etc. for a contact when I arrive home. I'm not going into the store with a "bull in a china shop" approach if I do receive less than friendly attitudes. I will just ask for a manager's name and leave the store.

I believe that the way we carry ourselves, the way we respond to negative comments, our attitude the way we deal with store employees, etc. has a great deal to do with the way we are perceived by public who do not OC or who are "anti-gun." I'm NOT going there to throw gas on a fire and create a scene where one isn't necessary.

#5 ·
We're almost neighbors! I too have found around here people are very supportive of OC (IF they even notice), with the idiot at WW being the only exception.

Bought gas today at the local stop-n-rob. We know the owner, and he was more concerned with what I was carrying than the fact that I was carrying. And making sure Junior knew how to shoot it! We walked back to the car and a uniformed LEO approached. I was worried that maybe she thought we were up to no good, she said no, she just noticed the out-of-state plates and wanted to make sure we knew we couldn't OC where posted here.

Said she wished more folks would carry around here. Well, the law-abiding ones. Would make the local LEO's jobs that much easier.

#6 ·
OC is legal here in PA. I am spittin distance from NJ and most of my neighbors are either transplants from NJ, transplants from NY and/or currently work in those states. My twp. police roll 3 cruisers for every traffic stop that I have seen. If I OC'd here, I am confident that I'd be hassled.

I still OC after hunting around my house/property.

One day maybe.

#10 ·
Bunny yes we are neighbors. What side of Charlotte do you live on? Do you ever get a chance to go to firepower?
No, I belong to a range in Troutman, so I just go there. Plus it's outdoors, which I kind of like.

I'm right near Cornelius/Birkdale, etc. But I go to KanapolisConcord a bunch for the tack shops and stuff. Honestly, I don't know what costs more, sometimes -- riding or shooting! :blink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.