Oregon members--open vehicle carry in Oregon?

This is a discussion on Oregon members--open vehicle carry in Oregon? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Folks: My wife and I will be traveling to Oregon very soon--my mother-in-law is having very serious surgery. I understand that OR does NOT honor ...

Thread: Oregon members--open vehicle carry in Oregon?

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

Folks:

My wife and I will be traveling to Oregon very soon--my mother-in-law is having very serious surgery. I understand that OR does NOT honor anybody's permit I also see from the OR Attny General website that vehicle concealed carry is also illegal.

So, here is my question--what about open carry in our vehicle? On the one hand, if it is not prohibited, it can't be illegal, but I don't want to give them cause to hassle us........

FWIW--I was born, raised and educated in Oregon-then spent 30 years in the Army before retiring to Montana.

Thanks!!!!

Scott

I don't know all of the twists of the law and non-law that is Open Carry in Oregon. But then, I've got the CHL partly so I don't need to worry about it that much.

See ORS 166.250, primarily.

In plain language, the summary from Kevin Starrett's Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws states:
    ... it is perfectly legal for a person, who is not prohibited from owning a firearm, to carry a loaded handgun in his or her car, within reach, without a CHL, so long as the handgun is not concealed.
    Interestingly, Oregon law defines "open carry in a belt holster" as "not concealed." It, unfortunately, does not define what is concealed.
    That is also followed by a huge caution (in the book) indicating you're likely to get arrested at the point of a gun and hauled to jail while you quibble over your right to do so, given abuse and outright ignorance by bureaucrats and LEO's. And yet, it's legal.

Caution on the meaning of "concealed" as well. It's undefined. So, does concealed mean that it cannot be seen from outside by casual glance? Does it mean under your clothing? Does it mean whatever the LEO wants it to mean, if he/she claims it wasn't seen?

There are also numerous municipalities that have various ordinances regulating various aspects of weapons possession.

Over on OpenCarry.org, there is a group of folks that has worked on a pamphlet summary of OC statutes in Oregon. Click.

And you can engage in discussions in the Oregon related forum at OpenCarry.org. There are lots of folks that OC regularly and are fairly knowledegable about the ins and outs of OC in OR.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thank you !!

Well-after checking out the brochure and the Oregon statues, I am reminded of just why I did not want to move back to Oregon. Salem, Portland and a few other cities/towns have made it absolutely impossible to have a firearm for self-protection except within the walls of your own home. The weapon cannot be loaded and any clips or magazines have to be unloaded as well--this includes on any street, highway or parking lot, whether on your person or in your vehicle.

I guess that I could still carry my 1911, with the magazine empty, but still inserted, and HOPE that any BGs would just assume that it was loaded.

(I coud always use the Crimson Trace laser to blind the BG, but then I'd be the one to get arrested for assult)

The BGs must just see a target-rich enviroment

I was under the assumption there were no laws about being able to carry in your vehicle?

Oregon Firearms Federation

Kevin can answer these questions to a T.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Links