Dipping my toes into OC

Dipping my toes into OC

This is a discussion on Dipping my toes into OC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Eeeh, I think that made sense. Anyways, I'm new to Defensive Carry, but I've lurked quite a bit. I tried OC'ing for the first time ...

Thread: Dipping my toes into OC

Dipping my toes into OC

Eeeh, I think that made sense. Anyways, I'm new to Defensive Carry, but I've lurked quite a bit.

I tried OC'ing for the first time today. I live in mid-Missouri, where it's legal, but rarely exercised. I want to OC while I wait for my Maine NR permit (I'm 20), but seeing as how I'll have to unload/reload every time I step out of my vehicle, it's a bit too much of a hassle. Not to mention how scared the sheeple would be if they were to see me step out of my car, go to the trunk, load, rack the slide, and holster before entering a store. (I'm wondering if it would still be illegal for me to keep the gun in my holster and the mag/ammo in the trunk while driving...probably)

However, today I decided to at least try just to see if I'd get a negative response being in such a liberal/anti-gun town. Anyways, not much of a story, but I walked our dog around our neighborhood (mostly college students) wearing jeans and a polo, as usual, but with my XD9SC perched in my Blade-Tech Revolution holster at 4:00.

I left the house, expecting some scared neighbor to eventually call the cops, but I took about a 45 minute walk and nothing happened! Granted, there were fewer people outside than I expected, but I walked past a few people, cars were passing me on the street, and I don't even think anyone noticed.

So, overall...I got my toes wet a bit. I feel more comfortable about it, I still can't wait to get my ME permit, but at least now I've got past the initial scare, sorta. But then again, is it just that people are completely oblivious and inattentive?
    Last edited by Bando1275; June 15th, 2009 at 01:27 AM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bando1275 View Post
    Eeeh, I think that made sense. Anyways, I'm new to Defensive Carry, but I've lurked quite a bit.

I tried OC'ing for the first time today. I live in mid-Missouri, where it's illegal, but rarely exercised. I want to OC while I wait for my Maine NR permit (I'm 20), but seeing as how I'll have to unload/reload every time I step out of my vehicle, it's a bit too much of a hassle. Not to mention how scared the sheeple would be if they were to see me step out of my car, go to the trunk, load, rack the slide, and holster before entering a store. (I'm wondering if it would still be illegal for me to keep the gun in my holster and the mag/ammo in the trunk while driving...probably)

However, today I decided to at least try just to see if I'd get a negative response being in such a liberal/anti-gun town. Anyways, not much of a story, but I walked our dog around our neighborhood (mostly college students) wearing jeans and a polo, as usual, but with my XD9SC perched in my Blade-Tech Revolution holster at 4:00.

I left the house, expecting some scared neighbor to eventually call the cops, but I took about a 45 minute walk and nothing happened! Granted, there were fewer people outside than I expected, but I walked past a few people, cars were passing me on the street, and I don't even think anyone noticed.

So, overall...I got my toes wet a bit. I feel more comfortable about it, I still can't wait to get my ME permit, but at least now I've got past the initial scare, sorta. But then again, is it just that people are completely oblivious and inattentive?
    Missouri is an open carry state with only one exception, counties, cities, towns or villages may enact the CCW Revised Missouri Statute. Since you are 20 and Missouri requires you to be a minimum of 23 to obtain a Missouri CCW, you can expect some problems even if endorsed or licensed by another state. Carrying openly in a town where you know it is not legal is a good way to have your license revoked, be fined and possibly spend some time in jail.

BTW,
    Missouri has reciprocity with 35 states, more than any other state but Maine is not one of them so any license you receive from Maine (if even possible) will not be honored in Missouri.

You might think about some more safety training and understanding of the law.

How much is walking around with an open side arm worth to you?
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Thanks for the warnings...but I've talked to the Boone County Sheriff's and the Columbia PD in regards to Open Carry and they have both told me that there are no local or county ordinances prohibiting openly carrying though they do advise against it as it may cause sheeple to panic. As a reference, I keep a sheet in my wallet with all applicable laws in regards to Possession of a handgun for those over 18, the right to bear arms and for localities to prohibit OC and the description by law of a peace disturbance.

Additionally, you'll find that Missouri does in fact recognize out of state permits, even by those who have Missouri residency, which is why you'll find that many 21-22 year olds obtaining Florida Non-resident permits. Maine's is a shall-issue on Non-resident permits with a minimum age of 18. Even as a quick reference, it's stated on Handgunlaw.us. You can also refer to the MSHP's pamphlet regarding CC and their recognition of out of state permits (Click Here for SHP-863) or visit Missouri's Conceal Carry forum at Missouricarry.com

I've read the laws up and down and I'm pretty sure I'm by the books.

VIP Member
    Good advice from SIGP250

Bando1275.
    Good on You for checking it all out. Expect some sheep to call 911.

1943 - 2009
    I live in mid-Missouri, where it's illegal, but rarely exercised.
    So which is it, illegal or legal?

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    LOL....woopsies...that might have been the cause of confusion. I have no idea how that "il" got there. I feel really dumb now, lol. It's fixed now. I guess that's why I didn't get quite a favorable reaction.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the warnings...but I've talked to the Boone County Sheriff's and the Columbia PD in regards to Open Carry and they have both told me that there are no local or county ordinances prohibiting openly carrying though they do advise against it as it may cause sheeple to panic. As a reference, I keep a sheet in my wallet with all applicable laws in regards to Possession of a handgun for those over 18, the right to bear arms and for localities to prohibit OC and the description by law of a peace disturbance.

Additionally, you'll find that Missouri does in fact recognize out of state permits, even by those who have Missouri residency, which is why you'll find that many 21-22 year olds obtaining Florida Non-resident permits. Maine's is a shall-issue on Non-resident permits with a minimum age of 18. Even as a quick reference, it's stated on Handgunlaw.us. You can also refer to the MSHP's pamphlet regarding CC and their recognition of out of state permits (Click Here for SHP-863) or visit Missouri's Conceal Carry forum at Missouricarry.com

I've read the laws up and down and I'm pretty sure I'm by the books.
    If you have read the law you should know Columbia is not a city where you can carry openly. Missouri is a large state. Many rural areas have no ordnances and open carry is completely acceptable.

Because of the Castle doctrine, you can carry a loaded gun in your car under most circumstances with or without a CCW Endorsement. Peaceful carry across the state is also allowed. As you may know, the Missouri legislature recently defeated a bill that would have allowed concealed carry on Higher Education Campuses.

Missouri has no reciprocity with Maine because the requirements are not considered similar, ie. age requirement, training, etc. consequently a Maine concealed carry permit is not honored in Missouri. Even though I have a Missouri CCW, It is conversely not honored in Maine.

See this link: Missouri Attorney General's Office :: Concealed Weapons :: Concealed Carry Reciprocity
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    If you have read the law you should know Columbia is not a city where you can carry openly. Missouri is a large state. Many rural areas have no ordnances and open carry is completely acceptable.
    If this is the case, I'll have to also inform the employees at Targetmasters (one of which posts on here and OC's around town). As I have contacted the Sheriff's Office and Columbia PD about OC and was given the ok, I will have to inform them also. I must have been looking in the wrong places. Would you be able to show me where Columbia or Boone ordinances state the OC is prohibited?
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post

Missouri has no reciprocity with Maine because the requirements are not considered similar, ie. age requirement, training, etc. consequently a Maine concealed carry permit is not honored in Missouri. Even though I have a Missouri CCW, It is conversely not honored in Maine.

See this link: Missouri Attorney General's Office :: Concealed Weapons :: Concealed Carry Reciprocity
    Once again, that is a map regarding what states recognize Missouri's concealed-carry permit. That pamphlet I linked you to states that Missouri recognizes all state permits. If this is contrary, I will also have to inform the Maine Attorney General so that they can change the information provided on their website. States that Recognize Maine's permit

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    It depends,

I can carry anything up to a 15" barrel where allowed. I can carry a long gun or a loaded pistol in my car almost anywhere.

Since Missouri is in fact an open carry state, one must be aware of where you can carry openly and where you cannot. If you have more than ten acres of land you can shoot on your own property unless there is a local ordnance that amends the state statues.

The Missouri Revised State Statue for Concealed carry is broad and contains several loopholes. for example, concealed carry is not allowed at a church without the consent of the pastor but that is not difficult to obtain.

Once you get out of cities, it is open carry similar to Arizona.

I always advise calling the Missouri State Police before carrying openly in any county. Just like speed traps, some small towns have adopted local ordances that you must be aware of before carrying openly.

I will continue to carry concealed. I find no reason not to.

SIG
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    If this is the case, I'll have to also inform the employees at Targetmasters (one of which posts on here and OC's around town). As I have contacted the Sheriff's Office and Columbia PD about OC and was given the ok, I will have to inform them also. I must have been looking in the wrong places. Would you be able to show me where Columbia or Boone ordinances state the OC is prohibited?

Once again, that is a map regarding what states recognize Missouri's concealed-carry permit. That pamphlet I linked you to states that Missouri recognizes all state permits. If this is contrary, I will also have to inform the Maine Attorney General so that they can change the information provided on their website. States that Recognize Maine's permit
    Although I do not live in Columbia, I am State licensed in another profession. My experience with the City of Columbia is that it is a progressive growing city. Local government is on top of every aspect of the law. This is probable since this is where the University of Missouri is located.

I would suggest you contact the Missouri Attorney General's Office for further specific questions.

SIG
    - Zen Saying

Sponsored Links