Dedicated OC setup

Dedicated OC setup

This is a discussion on Dedicated OC setup within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking for a way to open carry with a jacket/coat on because living in Alaska, it is cold most of the year and ...

Thread: Dedicated OC setup

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Dedicated OC setup

I've been looking for a way to open carry with a jacket/coat on because living in Alaska, it is cold most of the year and CC can be a PITA sometimes. I've always wondered why LEO holsters stick out so far from their body and now I know why.

I recently picked up a Blackhawk Serpa LE Level II duty holster for my Glock 19 and also bought an Uncle Mike's duty belt and nylon belt keepers. Some people might consider that to be too "mall ninja" ish but I don't care. It is easier to just remove the belt keepers and take the gun belt off rather than having to un-thread my usual belt to get the holster off when I get home. It will be used for winter carry mostly when I do choose to OC.

This is by far the most comfortable way I found to open carry with a jacket, and if I want to I can go with my t-shirt untucked during the summer.

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Not a bad setup, what do you have rigged on there for your mag(s)?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

It is just barely showing on my left side, I have a DeSantis leather double mag carrier that is snapped onto the duty belt.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

nice, I will keep an eye about town for you then. ;-)

What I like about the Safari Land style holsters is how you can tuck your shirt down around your belt - It does look a little "Mall Ninja-esque" with the shirt tucked in, but with the belt concealed under th other shirt it just looks like you are OC'ing.

An armed society IS a polite society.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    With the shirt over the belt it looks great. :) With the belt exposed you are right about looking a little like a mall ninja, but hey you are dealing with unique circumstances in AK.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Whens the Garage sale, JK............nice piece!!!

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhrocket22 View Post
    Whens the Garage sale, JK............nice piece!!!
    I was thinking the same thing! Thought there might be unused Glock accessories for sale and I need a reason to go to Alaska!
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Go to the link and look up the model numbers below - the don't look that "mall ninjaish" and their basketweave ones look preety nice.

SAFARILAND [Duty Gear Belts] : Holsters, Belts, Duty Gear, & Accessories for Law Enforcement, Military, Competition, and Sporting Enthusiasts

Model #s:

942P
    94P
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

VIP Member
    I wanted another holster for open carry so I ordered a paddle holster from Comp-tac. I havent recieved the holster yet. I wanted something I could take on and off easily.
    I didnt think I'd like a paddle holster until I tried out the holster that came with my XD. A belt holster use to come with the XD, it was pretty much worthless, but the paddle that comes with it now is amazingly comfortable. I carry a Tactical 5" , so its heavy. I've never found an OWB holster that carries the weight better than that paddle holster. I would'nt wear it out anywhere but I wear it around the house alot.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Like I said this setup will be mainly used for winter when I am wearing a coat or a jacket over the belt so nobody but me will know its a duty belt. I tried using my regular belt but I didn't like having to unscrew the holster every time I wanted to take it off.

Nice rig you have there. I like it. I also carry in a SERPA, as does my wife. We both use the paddle attachment but I can really see the logic in the belt attachment in your situation.

Well done solving your problem. I think you have an excellent solution.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sponsored Links