OC is becoming easier in TN. - Page 2

OC is becoming easier in TN.

This is a discussion on OC is becoming easier in TN. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That sucks!!!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OC is becoming easier in TN.

That sucks!!!

It seems like OC is getting easier any place that law enforcement is aware that it is legal. I've never had issues with either the general public or law enforcement, but it seems that when OC-ers have problems it is usually with LE that have not been trained on the legality of OC.

I personally go back and forth between CC and OC. I use the same belt and holster for both -- always strong side OWB (except for BUG). If I'm wearing a jacket and get warm, I switch to OC. I appreciate that in Washington I have the option.

CP Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post
    It seems like OC is getting easier any place that law enforcement is aware that it is legal. I've never had issues with either the general public or law enforcement, but it seems that when OC-ers have problems it is usually with LE that have not been trained on the legality of OC.

I personally go back and forth between CC and OC. I use the same belt and holster for both -- always strong side OWB (except for BUG). If I'm wearing a jacket and get warm, I switch to OC. I appreciate that in Washington I have the option.

CP Lincoln
    We do the same here in Fayetteville, NC. I actually had an LEO come up to me and say that he wished more people OCed.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rock.45 View Post
    I still don't understand why anyone wants to carry open in public . it up sets people who are not firearm owners, hell it bother's me and I carry every day all day long, but no one knows I'm carrying a firearm . I don't have to walk around like Wyatt Earp and give up the advantage of concealment. It really bothers other people . some place's I can see the need for open carry , Walmart isn't a of them.
    If you have not done so already, note and pay heed to this forum's header:

Open Carry Issues & Discussions Discussion regarding open carry in those States where it is legal to do so. This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.

If you don't open carry, that's your business. Lots of other people do, and that, likewise, is their business.

Now lets get this thread back on track, folks.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

HKR
    We do the same here in Fayetteville, NC. I actually had an LEO come up to me and say that he wished more people OCed.
    I had a deputy tell me the same thing the other day. He also said he gets tired of reading the old "oc'ing just gives the BGs a target" crap on the net. I asked what he meant and he said if more people would OC then it would make it easier for everyone involved. The sheep (his words, not mine)would get used to it, LEO wouldn't have to worry about dealing with BS MWAG calls, and the scum out there would realize that they are surrounded by people not willing to run and hide or cower in a corner.
    Last edited by HKR; June 28th, 2009 at 07:42 PM.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I'm very comfortable with open carry here in West Tennessee. I think a lot has to do with how one dresses and carry's himself as to how people react to open carry.

BamaSteve...good to see your response, havn't seen you on in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    BamaSteve...good to see your response, havn't seen you on in a while.
    yeah, things have been busy for a while. But they are slowing down a little and in a week and a half they will slow down a lot more.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

I think most LEO's and Security outfits have gone to the level 2&3 retention holsters to stop the "grab" from others. Do any of you use them or feel they are necessary especially when shopping and/or moving through crowded areas? As I consider my position on open carry this always comes to mind as I would be personally devastated if someone were to wrench my pistol away from me and injure another. Maybe this is not even a real possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by rock.45 View Post
    I still don't understand why anyone wants to carry open in public . it up sets people who are not firearm owners, hell it bother's me and I carry every day all day long, but no one knows I'm carrying a firearm . I don't have to walk around like Wyatt Earp and give up the advantage of concealment. It really bothers other people . some place's I can see the need for open carry , Walmart isn't a of them.
    Agree 100%...

OC means you have to protect against the 'lunatic scenerio'...the nut that grabs your weapon while you're waiting in line at that Walmart. Not to mention you're probably legally liable for what happens as a result of the wacko grabbing/using your HG. Or am I just being paranoid here?

NOTHING good, as far as I can see, results from OC...just inviting unwanted attention to yourself/your weapon. But as was mentioned, I suppose OC is better than NC!

My $0.02...If I wanted the kind of attention OC brings I would freeball and leave my fly down...

Since the debate has kind of come up...there's just too many crazies and sheeple out there for me to feel comfotable walking around with spurs and a sidearm...

FWIW, I see folks here in NV OC on occasion...no one seems to care, at least from what I can tell. OP and other OC'ers...how are you generally perceived out there? I suppose 99% of it comes down to where you live(?)...
    Last edited by Enginerd; June 29th, 2009 at 12:23 AM.

Just to reiterate what others have stated. This is not debating OC vs CC

(Posted under this headline)
    Open Carry Issues & Discussions. Discussion regarding open carry in those States where it is legal to do so. This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.

I have nothing against CC. Just merely stating what I have experienced in the past month or so.

HKR
    Since the debate has kind of come up...

It didn't. Please read Agape's above post or Captain Crunch's on page two of this thread.

If anyone still doesn't understand what this sub forum is for please PM me and I will try to explain it, although don't expect it to be quite so polite...

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post

My $0.02...If I wanted the kind of attention OC brings I would freeball and leave my fly down...
    Wow, THAT was incredibly rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
    OP and other OC'ers...how are you generally perceived out there?
    Let's see, most people don't notice. The two LEOs who did said it was great and wished more of us would do so. One store owner thanked me (which I thought was weird), and I've got three women who are now coming to the range to learn how to shoot. Only one idiot stock boy at Wal-Mart saw fit to make a joke, but no big deal.

All in all, I'd say pretty darn positive.

But then, I guess I'm just an attention whore who should be running around with my pants down, according to the above statement?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

HKR
    Moving on-

Agape,

I think the more I OC in new places the less it becomes OC or CC, it's just carrying. Luckily in Georgia and Tennessee I don't have to worry about someone seeing my weapon as much as I would in a state that doesn't allow OCing. The last time I was in Florida I was really self conscious about printing and I tend to watch it more in Alabama.
    I think the few times I've OCed in a mall maybe a couple of people have visibly noticed.
    For the most part people are very focused on what they are doing (usually a little too focused IMO). They're talking or texting or worrying about what they are wearing or what everyone else is wearing.
    Being a married man I often times get to walk around malls/stores while my wife shops for things I'm not the least interested in and it amazes me at the lack of awareness that most people display. I can't count the number of times I've had to chase someone down to give them their wallet/keys/cellphone that they laid down and didn't notice when they walked off.
    If you want to have some fun go to a mall on a Saturday (OK, I was stretching it when I said fun) and find a comfortable seat. Watch everyone for an hour. You'll be amazed at what little people notice. The first time I did this was in high school for a assignment. It can be quite entertaining and enlightening, if a little depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post

All in all, I'd say pretty darn positive.

But then, I guess I'm just an attention whore who should be running around with my pants down, according to the above statement?
    Good to hear, the positive part.

And the 'pants down thing', not to be taken literally my friend Certainly didn't mean to offend...just saying, attention whether you want it or not.

Oh, maybe that store owner was saying thank you...for not robbing him?

(See? Sarcasm and internet just don't mix)
    HK P2000SK 9mm LEM (EDC, NV CCW)
    FNH Five-Seven USG...um, 5.7 cal
    <><><><><><><><><><><>
    FNH PS90/Mossberg 530 SPX/Mossberg 17 HMR (Tannerite Special, hi Feds )

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Point taken.

Actually, he thought I was a cop, I told him "no, no, nothing like that, just a regular civilian." We were at a convenience store/gas station. And then he said thank you, I asked why, he said because no one will try to rob him while I'm in there, paying for gas.

Which I thought was weird, but whatever. I guess.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links