OC is becoming easier in TN.

This is a discussion on OC is becoming easier in TN. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think a lot has to do with how one dresses and carry's himself as to how people react to open carry This also an ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OC is becoming easier in TN.

HKR
    I think a lot has to do with how one dresses and carry's himself as to how people react to open carry
    This also an excellent point. More so the "carry's him/herself" to me than how you dress. I'm usually dressed fairly casually and rarely tuck in my shirt. T-shirt/polo, cargo shorts and Chacos are my normal attire when not attending work or a school function. I'm not going to be mistaken for LEO unless it's the UC beach patrol. Sometimes I let the beard grow for a couple of weeks before shaving just because...
    I'm also not a "natural smiler". I've been asked all my life what's wrong or am I in a bad mood. It's just my normal facial expression. I like to think of it as neutral or focused. However, I've always made a concerted effort to look people in the eye and speak, nod and smile. It takes a little effort, but I've seen so many people's demeanor change as a result of just a "good morning" or "exscuse me, ma'am/sir". I try to do this whether I'm OCing, CCing or not carrying at all.
    Believe me when I say I truely believe holding the door for someone or helping them pick something up they have dropped is going to make a bigger impression on most than the fact that you have a gun on your belt. At least I hope so.

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    This is your final warning, folks.

One more CC versus OC debate post will get this thread closed.

As I said before, if you don't approve of open carry, that's your business, but many do, and that is their business.

Respect is a two way street.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by rock.45 View Post
    I still don't understand why anyone wants to carry open in public . it up sets people who are not firearm owners, hell it bother's me and I carry every day all day long, but no one knows I'm carrying a firearm . I don't have to walk around like Wyatt Earp and give up the advantage of concealment. It really bothers other people . some place's I can see the need for open carry , Walmart isn't a of them.
    I open carry almost exclusively in the spring/summer/fall months and I have never, not once had anyone get upset with it. You, as a fellow carrier shouldn't let it bother you.

My personal feeling is, if the gun is in a quality holster, then most people won't be upset. Your average criminal won't have their gun in a holster. Just shoved in their waistband. And they won't be carrying that gun openly either. They will be hiding it. Food for thought.

I know of around 20 other people in my small town who open carry. It isn't uncommon here in Shelby County at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    I think most LEO's and Security outfits have gone to the level 2&3 retention holsters to stop the "grab" from others. Do any of you use them or feel they are necessary especially when shopping and/or moving through crowded areas? As I consider my position on open carry this always comes to mind as I would be personally devastated if someone were to wrench my pistol away from me and injure another. Maybe this is not even a real possibility.
    I use a Blackhawk SERPA Level II holster when I carry. Open or concealed.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Hey everyone...I travel alot thru Tennessee, but I live in Illinois. I have applied for a Florida CCW, however here is my question. Can I open carry legally while being a Communist resident of Illinois? If so can any one give me a link to the legal code if this is legal? Thanks

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by newhunter1 View Post
    Hey everyone...I travel alot thru Tennessee, but I live in Illinois. I have applied for a Florida CCW, however here is my question. Can I open carry legally while being a Communist resident of Illinois? If so can any one give me a link to the legal code if this is legal? Thanks
    Not in Tn. You must have a permit to OC. Here in Ky you can open carry without a permit. You can get a Pennsylvania permit ( easy to get ) and you can carry in other states. Utah, Florida and a few others are good too.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    No permit needed to OC here in North Carolina, newhunter1.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I am getting interested in open carry, and I know that in Indiana, with a permit, it is legal. However, I never have seen anyone open carrying in this part of Indiana (Columbus, Nashville, Seymour). I don't currently have a holster for open carry, but I think if I did I would give it a try. It would definitely be interesting to see the reactions, if any, I got.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    Not in Tn. You must have a permit to OC. Here in Ky you can open carry without a permit. You can get a Pennsylvania permit ( easy to get ) and you can carry in other states. Utah, Florida and a few others are good too.

Wow! I am glad I didn't get pulled over as I was OC'ing in my truck...however I did get out of my truck at a gas station while OC'ing and filled up. Now another question...can I OC in my vechicle while traveling thru your beautiful state? (Tennessee) If so can someone still post a link to the legal code so that I can print out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    No permit needed to OC here in North Carolina, newhunter1.
    Bunny,

I vacation in Holden Beach, NC every 2-3 years. That is good to know...plus I love your state as well.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by newhunter1 View Post
    Wow! I am glad I didn't get pulled over as I was OC'ing in my truck...however I did get out of my truck at a gas station while OC'ing and filled up. Now another question...can I OC in my vechicle while traveling thru your beautiful state? (Tennessee) If so can someone still post a link to the legal code so that I can print out

I'm not an attorney, but I am staying in a Homewood Suites in Lubbock, TX this week...I think the laws apply to the state you are in at the time.

Look over our TN website: Handgun Carry Permits
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; July 1st, 2009 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links