News Story About Open Carry

This is a discussion on News Story About Open Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by automatic slim I know open carry is legal in about 10-12 states, most of them in the Rocky Mountain region. I certainly ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: News Story About Open Carry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I know open carry is legal in about 10-12 states, most of them in the Rocky Mountain region. I certainly didn't think it was legal in Ohio. I can OC in NM, but never do, I want the BG's last expression to be one of total surprise.
    Actually open carry is legal in one form or another in all but 6 states and DC. See the link below:

OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

2. Remove Ads

I do not open carry to make a political statement when I am lone, however I would open carry for an event like this.
    Steven
    The "news media" has ceased being the watch dog of the people and has become the apologist for an irresponsible government.

marengofire-

Also if you were in a gas station and someone decided to do a robbery while you are in there,(who do you think they would take out first.)
    No one can find an actual account of this ever happening; just as likely you are in a gas station and someone decided to do a robbery while you are in there open carrying and they decided either not to or went some place else.

If the public sees it enough, it will become normal
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

That is exactly "it".

Great Idea I think! wish we had open carry in AR :(
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

why do people in general and the media in specific commonly use the term "toting" and 'packin' to describe what is actually more properly 'carry' of a firearm?

In my opinion it's a lame attempt by the media, even in an otherwise positive piece, to evoke images of the wild west and prohibition era gangsters. We all heard as children (well, those of my age group and older) about totin' guns on shows like Gunsmoke and Bonanza. In the old detective movies set in the 30s some bad guy was always packin' heat. The use of these words and the mental images they conjure are indicators of a subliminal anti-gun spin.

Quote Originally Posted by marengofire View Post
    Also if you were in a gas station and someone decided to do a robbery while you are in there,(who do you think they would take out first.)

Please. Criminals have tried to rob convenience stores while uniformed armed police officers were waiting in line at the register.

Your typical criminal isn't the smartest guy in the crowd and is scared as hell when they are about to commit a crime. Tunnel vision is a normal by product.

That was a good report. I'd love to see more of them and I'd love to see many more open carry events like that all around the country!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Your typical criminal isn't the smartest guy in the crowd
    I keep reading how brilliant these criminals are. How we can be sure they will call police if you draw your weaopn to thwart an attack. First one who calls wins, irrespective of the facts. Crafty devils, these criminals.

Certainly they can spot the most dangerous threat in the room, no? Isn't that something we are trained to notice? Why should we let our guard down an assume those law breakers haven't trained and are not prepared?

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    marengofire-

No one can find an actual account of this ever happening; just as likely you are in a gas station and someone decided to do a robbery while you are in there open carrying and they decided either not to or went some place else.
    I am in full agreement !!!

I have seen that excuse many times, never documented.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I was looking at this article and I noticed a link that said Steve McNair was shot in the head. Wow...anytime, anywhere, anyone!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Based on my study of TV reality shows, it seems most armed robberies occur while the thief is standing at the counter. Coming in second is the rapid assault.

I believe that the great majority of perps are going to completely overlook an armed citizen. Most look only for an empty store, don't even bother 'flooring' other customers.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Certainly they can spot the most dangerous threat in the room, no? Isn't that something we are trained to notice? Why should we let our guard down an assume those law breakers haven't trained and are not prepared?
    Some times they can, some times they can't. If they are casing the place and really paying attention then I would think they would spot an OC person. If they are just rushing in to rob, then no. If they are walking in scared and shaky, then I don't think they will notice either.

Like I said, I have read reports where criminals tried to rob places while uniformed police officers were standing right at the register.

As for training, that is an interesting question. Some do go to the range and "practice" shooting their guns. I have worked at indoor ranges and seen this. But, it mainly consists of them showing off for their buddies by shooting fast (not accurately) and shooting sideways "gangsta" style. I always go a chuckle out of seeing their targets after they were done. They might have fired 50 rounds and hit the paper 7 times. It wasn't about accurate and patient fire. It was about shooting as fast as they could and looking cool. That is what makes them a man in their minds.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member

Lightbulb

Good job -- Citizens.

FWIIW -- more organizations should do something like this.

See:
    YouTube - OpenCarry.Org Litter Pick-Up Day
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Cashioli did a great thing by organizing this. I can't beleive his neighbour called the cops on him for open carrying. Sheesh!
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links