News Story About Open Carry - Page 3

News Story About Open Carry

This is a discussion on News Story About Open Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TN_Mike ... Like I said, I have read reports where criminals tried to rob places while uniformed police officers were standing right ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: News Story About Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post

Like I said, I have read reports where criminals tried to rob places while uniformed police officers were standing right at the register...

Crack heads don't really worry about situational awareness. They probably didn't even see the police.

Way to go Wayne. A very positive open carry event.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Actually open carry is legal in one form or another in all but 6 states and DC. See the link below:

OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!
    Archer,

That statement though and the link you provided is some what disingenuous though.

For example I clicked on the link and found that amongst others states those I'm directly familiar with including MA (!), MD, CT, NJ, and NH are indicated as either "Licensed Open Carry" or "Anomalous Open Carry" (NH).

The sites stated views are off though.

MA is most definitely not a licensed open carry state.
    Anyone who is even remotely familiar with this state muchless it's tied for third with CT per the Brady group gun laws and enforcement of as much would know that no open carry is supported here period, not even a little bit and it's discouraged by plain clothes LEOs too who are not in direct commission of job performance whilst armed.
    I asked this exact question of a local police captain just a few months back.
    This state should be indicated as red, and same goes for CT and NJ and most definitely MD.

For example MA law as related to carry of firearms states;

The General Laws of Massachusetts

Chapter 140: Section 131. Licenses to carry firearms; Class A and B; conditions and restrictions

Section 131. All licenses to carry firearms shall be designated Class A or Class B, and the issuance and possession of any such license shall be subject to the following conditions and restrictions:

(a) A Class A license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: (i) firearms, including large capacity firearms, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper;...

Source - M.G.L - Chapter 140, Section 131
    The "licensing authority" in this state is defined as the local PD chief of the town where issued _OR_ the town where the holder is detained/arrested and/or for non-residents and towns with no town police force the MA State Police.

The odds of a civilian open carrying in MA and that being deemed by a licensing authority as "proper" is real world on the order of 0.0%.
    Further ones MA LTC can be revoked on the spot at any time by any licensing authority at the LA leisure as they may deem the holder to no longer be "proper" as based on their actions in the immediate.
    There is no open carry in MA and has not been.

The OC site goes on to state toward MD...

Maryland is not a traditional open carry state. However, should you be wealthy or connected enough to get one of the rare Maryland carry permits, Maryland law makes no distinction between open and concealed carry. But this would almost certainly result in the loss of the permit.
    OpenCarry.org - State Information For Maryland
    This repeats nearly verbatim for NJ with the same intended net result.
    That site should be redone at least as per that map of the US and it's color codes. It on the surface is providing misleading information that requires at a minimum a second look for the viewer to learn what the actual fact of the matter is and even then a contradictory statement is made of OC being okay/lawful or not.

Oh and in MA if you get your LTC revoked...good luck getting it reinstated ever never mind the cost and time that would be involved.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Archer,

That statement though and the link you provided is some what disingenuous though.

Janq
    Back before I retired, there were always scuttle-butt floating around the Agency.

If someone who was neural about it and was just passing it on, I'd check before believing.

If someone who was upset and complaining about it, I'd double check it before believing.

If someone who was were happy/positive/excited about it was passing it, I'd triple check it before believing.

Now, when it comes to WEB sites, I try to follow the same rules -- with some sites more than others.

I would never use any info from any advocate WEB site to plan a trip, change how/where I carry, etc w/o first checking a site with an .gov or similar designator.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links