News Story About Open Carry

This is a discussion on News Story About Open Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw this story on our local news and figured I would post a link for your thoughts... Armed Residents Take to Streets - News ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: News Story About Open Carry

I saw this story on our local news and figured I would post a link for your thoughts...

Armed Residents Take to Streets - News Story - WTOV Steubenville
    --
    Sig Sauer SP2022

It is better to live one day as a lion than one thousand as a sheep.

Sounds good. I think I even heard that news anchor mention a 'Constitutional right'. Yay.

We need more of these events to help train that firearms are not bad. I do not OC myself but fully support anyone who does where legal. I am proud to see Ohioans exercising there rights.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

I will say I was very happy to see the story myself. I would love to see more responsible gun owners featured in positive ways. It is always good when some of the "gang banger" stigma can be taken away.
    --
    Sig Sauer SP2022

It is better to live one day as a lion than one thousand as a sheep.

Although I personally am not a supporter of open carry for philosophical reasons, as related to myself and carry.
    I am though happy and even excited to see such good and basically positive press free of histrionics and factoids being presented by the media while also allowing the gentleman featured time to get his point across which he does clearly and also without histrionics.

America needs more of this.

My only comment as a complaint is why do people in general and the media in specific commonly use the term "toting" and 'packin' to describe what is actually more properly 'carry' of a firearm?
    Use the proper term especially when in a professional mode on the job as this newscaster was, rather than going to slang terminology.
    In the BHE courses I instruct we teach "Firearm Carry" techniques, but not 'gun totin', 'gun packin' nor 'gun slingin'.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Although I personally am not a supporter of open carry for philosophical reasons, as related to myself and carry.
    I am though happy and even excited to see such good and basically positive press free of histrionics and factoids being presented by the media while also allowing the gentleman featured time to get his point across which he does clearly and also without histrionics.

My only comment as a complaint is why do people in general and the media in specific commonly use the term "toting" and 'packin' to describe what is actually more properly 'carry' of a firearm?
    Use the proper term especially when in a professional mode on the job as this newscaster was, rather than going to slang terminology.
    In the BHE courses I instruct we teach "Firearm Carry" techniques, but not 'gun totin', 'gun packin' nor 'gun slingin'.

- Janq
    The usual news term reason is..."If it bleeds, it leads."
    OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

we should set up more open carry events like this. i think it would be great to have a large group of 10-15 people open carrying and cleaning up a neighborhood. maybe on the side of the highway like the adopt-a-highway type thing. if the genral public sees gun owners making a positive impact it could go a long way.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I know open carry is legal in about 10-12 states, most of them in the Rocky Mountain region. I certainly didn't think it was legal in Ohio. I can OC in NM, but never do, I want the BG's last expression to be one of total surprise.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Good for them !!
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Good JOB! I live in NC, an open carry and concealed carry (with a permit) state. Although I conceal carry, I certainly would love to see some gatherings where we not only did a community service but also raised community awareness on the law and showed positive action to the public that we are not bad nor is carrying our guns bad.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Open carried most of the morning today. I conceal carry while shopping, but once outside it's open carry.

Would love to see more people in NC OC. Maybe we need to do a picnic or roadside clean-up?? Thoughts??
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

- Janq
    Same reason they're called "assault weapons".
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Some real good ideas for making some positive showings for armed citizens.

I didn't like the way the male reporter introduced the story, had that "They all have guns!" sound to it. He reported the story fine just coulda left the initial shock factor out of the introduction. Wish this story could get out on a national level.

Here in Kansas, or most of it, open carry is legal. I beleive in open carry, but I choose not to participate due to my tinfoil hat. (I don't want some of the people around my town to know that I have guns, making me a target for theft) I would participate in a gathering like this in another town maybe.
    I do tote my piece concealed, also wishing to have the element of surprise.

I carry concealed and believe that is the best way to carry so that you do not draw attention to yourself. Also if you were in a gas station and someone decided to do a robbery while you are in there,(who do you think they would take out first.) I like being able to have the element of suprise, so that i do not become the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I know open carry is legal in every state but 6 of them, most of them in the Rocky Mountain region. I certainly didn't think it was legal in Ohio. I can OC in NM, but never do, I want the BG's last expression to be one of total surprise.

fify
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links