GA folks, Open carry questions?

This is a discussion on GA folks, Open carry questions? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well my fellow Georgians I have some questions. First and Foremost I know our state law states that we can open carry a handgun as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA folks, Open carry questions?

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

GA folks, Open carry questions?

Well my fellow Georgians I have some questions.

First and Foremost I know our state law states that we can open carry a handgun as long as we are in possession of a GFL (GA Firearms License for those non GA folks). Long guns do not apply and anyone can openly carry a long gun, I would love to carry my Sport utility rifle but that would be asking for serious attention and trouble.

Has anyone here carried openly and encountered any problems in our state?

Is there any stipulations that I need to be made aware of before deciding to holster up the old 4" kimb and take her to the local burger joint.

I really want to open carry for the satisfaction that we do in fact have "Born with, Die with" rights to bear arms.

I have never OC'd before so I am nervous about the negative connotations that could be associated with it in our state. As pro gun as our state is there are a ton of non gun understanding liberals here as well.

Thanks.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

jwr
    I began OCing rather regularly a couple of weeks ago. I'm in Newnan (Coweta County) and no problems so far. One person at the drugstore (another customer, not an employee) asked if I was a LEO, but that's the only comment I've gotten. I carried in restaurants, supermarkets, walking through the Ashley Park shopping center, Target, Barnes & Noble and more and not a problem yet.

I bet you can feel people staring at you.

What was your first feeling when you started OC'ing?

What was your response to those whom inquired on your weapon?

I want to provide a very Pro 2A answer and make them feel completely comfortable with how safe firearms really are compared to the animals that abuse them.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

i OC a lot and have been hassled:

GCO has written the chief of the Glynn County Police Department, asking for this department to cease detaining people solely for open carrying. The letter was prompted by a GCO member being twice detained by GCPD for no reason other than the members’ open carrying. A copy of the letter may be viewed here.
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Yes you can OC in many places in Georgia however, I would use a little brain power about doing it. Recently there was an incident in Warner Robins where a guy OCed into one of those kids activity centers where they have food, drinks and games and such for kids (can't recall which one). He was promptly taken outside by the WR Police and if I recall correctly, told that he was either going to leave his weapon in his car or leave. (I'll bet the 911 center lit up big time.)

Now, yes he was inside the law OCing. Apparently, the establishment had no signs stating that no weapons were allowed. Did he use his head and think through the act before hand, I doubt it. What did he expect, going into a place full of kids and moms with a weapon showing?

I have OCed in; grocery stores, hardware stores, big box stores, even my credit union with no problems. Would I OC in a place specifically designed for and full of kids and moms? No way!

Think before you OC. It makes life a lot easier.
    Last edited by gaowlpoop; July 4th, 2009 at 12:00 PM.
    Steven
    The "news media" has ceased being the watch dog of the people and has become the apologist for an irresponsible government.

Thanks. Especially being Independence day. I wanted to remind people of our right to carry and how important it is to protect, cherish, and value that right by OC today. I will however use logic and sense when choosing where to carry in accordance with the Law first and common sense.

I live down in Kingsland/St. Marys (just North of Jacksonville, FL). I've wanted to OC for a while, but haven't yet. This area is heavy military (me included) and I don't know what kind of reaction I would get. Maybe if I could find someone else to go with I would ease up. The Chief of Police is a good friend, maybe I could convince him to go walking around with me.

Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    I live down in Kingsland/St. Marys (just North of Jacksonville, FL). I've wanted to OC for a while, but haven't yet. This area is heavy military (me included) and I don't know what kind of reaction I would get. Maybe if I could find someone else to go with I would ease up. The Chief of Police is a good friend, maybe I could convince him to go walking around with me.

im in brunswick i have OCed multiple times in kingsland at Kmart,wendy, chic fla,Zaxbys and numerous other places no incident.

with you being military you have the same carry rights as a LEO in the state of Georgia see OCGA 16-11-130.3 you are exempt from the public gathering clause and can carry in courthouses,church,govt building, bars etc

you are also exempt for even needing a GFL, you are exempt from the holster requirement if you conceal. you can also consume alcohol with your meal etc etc
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

I just choose to not Open Carry. That is why I have my Georgia Permit. Open Carry may be as legal as eating ice cream on the street, but OC tends to make some people nervous... It has nothing to do with the law, it has everythng to do with me. I will defend all my rights whenever I feel infringed upon, but I don't get the stares or the scrutiny when I carry concealed. I carry to protect myself and my family, and I can do that legally and effectively concealed. I'm not out to convert everyone to "feeling good about Open Carry", I just want to do my thing and let others do their thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TomChemEngin View Post
    I just choose to not Open Carry. That is why I have my Georgia Permit. Open Carry may be as legal as eating ice cream on the street, but OC tends to make some people nervous... It has nothing to do with the law, it has everythng to do with me. I will defend all my rights whenever I feel infringed upon, but I don't get the stares or the scrutiny when I carry concealed. I carry to protect myself and my family, and I can do that legally and effectively concealed. I'm not out to convert everyone to "feeling good about Open Carry", I just want to do my thing and let others do their thing.

you must have a Georgia Firearms License to Open Carry or concealed carry(concealed carry hasnt been legal for very long in GA maybe 10 years?)
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

jwr
    Quote Originally Posted by TomChemEngin View Post
    The point is, why do something just to prove a point. If you have a concealed carry permit, just use it... no need to telegraph it.
    If you're in Georgia you do not have a concealed carry permit. You have a Georgia Firearms License which entitles you to carry openly or concealed. I open carry occasionally (more and more lately), not to prove a point, but because it's more comfortable and because I can. If you prefer CC, great, conceal away. Some prefer to OC and that's great as well.

+1 on not having a concealed permit in GA, it is 1000000% more comfy esp with our heat and humidity.
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

Tom have you joined GCO yet??
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

HKR
    Short threadjack:

While I respect everyone's opinions and decisions relating to OC, this is the OPEN CARRY ISSUES AND DISCUSSIONS FORUM. It is here for those who do OC/ want to OC/ are interested in OCing or at the very least for the discussion of OC.
    Also, please check out Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news if you are not familiar with GeorgiaCarry.Org (or GCO as mentioned in the above post).
    Threadjack over.

To the OP,
    I have OCed a lot in the northern areas of Georgia and into Tennessee without a major issue. Yes, some people will notice, some will smile, some will scowl. I've found that if your mannerisms don't point a big neon sign at your handgun then the majority of people don't notice it. This gets easier the more you carry.

OK, I'm done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links