I got kicked out of Lowes in Chambersburg.

This is a discussion on I got kicked out of Lowes in Chambersburg. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I went to the Lowes in Chambersburg today to get a few things and all was well until I was approached by an employee, ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I got kicked out of Lowes in Chambersburg.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

I got kicked out of Lowes in Chambersburg.

So I went to the Lowes in Chambersburg today to get a few things and all was well until I was approached by an employee, I'm assuming a manager. He proceeded to tell me "I understand you may have a permit and all, but you can't have that in here, and that you need to leave it in the car"

I basically gave him all the crap in my cart, and said "Fine, I'll take my business elsewhere" and then left. He didn't seem to care. I will be writing a formal complaint to their corporate office and I will send a letter to the GM at the store.

Lowes is not gun friendly and I will never ever go there again and would hope everyone here does the same.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Were you open carrying? How did he know?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Administrator
    I assume becaue its posted in the open carry section that he was.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Home Depot doesn't have that nonsense.

Well, I just carry concealed and avoid the hassle. You may find that OC in most places may get you banned. But I am glad you stood up for your beliefs
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

I experienced something like that yesterday at a local Wal-Mart here in Las Vegas. I OC to & from work on a daily basis. So far I've had very few negative experiences in the places I've visited. This includes WM's, KFC, McD's, etc. That was until yesterday.

As I was walking past the electronics department a WM "associate" suddenly walked towards me. He asked if he could talk to me for a moment. I courteously stopped and said, "Sure, what do you need?" He asked me if I was aware that (I'll paraphrase to be brief) "only on-duty metro police officers are allowed to carry their firearms openly in this Wal-Mart store." He then asked me if I was a police officer. I advised him that I was not a police officer but an "armed security officer" and that I was in route to work & I was doing some shopping along the way. The "associate" then advised me that "We generally prefer that "all non-police officers" leave their guns in their cars." I advised him that "Sir, I feel that leaving my handgun in my car is not very smart as car burglaries are quite common. Doing so also puts Wal Mart customers at risk if someone does steal my handgun from my car." To this comment I just got a "blank stare" back. I advised him that I was leaving the store & wouldn't be shopping at Wal Marts again in light of this policy. At this point I just walked out of the store.

When I arrived at work I looked up the number of that particular WM store. I called the WM and requested to speak with the "on duty" manager. I won't use this mans name out of respect for his privacy.

I relayed the above information to him about this exchange with this WM associate to the assistant manager. The assistant manager advised me that this employee was misinformed about "current" policy of this WM store. The assistant manager told me that "armed" security officers ARE permitted to carry handguns IF they feel that leaving the firearm in their vehicle makes them uncomfortable. I advised the assistant GM that this was precisely how I felt.

The assistant GM apologized for my inconvenience and asked me to describe the person with whom I spoke in the store. I described him in some detail and the assistant GM mentioned that he knew this employee and that he had been employed there many years. The "associate" had told me an "old policy" that had been changed some time ago. The assistant GM told me that he would talk to this "associate" and advise him of the current policy of firearms in this WM store.

The assistant GM again apologized for the "misinformation" that this WM associate expressed and to please continue shopping at WM stores. All in all, I think this was a successful resolution. At this point in the conversation I ended the call with the WM assistant GM.

What concerned me after I hung up was what the policy had I not been in uniform. I'll take that issue up the next time I go to this WM store.

Truly amazing!!!
    Last edited by Pikachu711; July 4th, 2009 at 04:58 PM.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I am a Lowe's manager, our store is not posted and I enjoy it when I see someone OC. It makes me feel good that a few customers have enough sense about them to want to protect themselves.

In response to the WM post, So only the almighty, and "official" security guards may carry? They still out law the other 98% of lawfully armed citizens?
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by smotta View Post
    In response to the WM post, So only the almighty, and "official" security guards may carry? They still out law the other 98% of lawfully armed citizens?
    That thought occurred to me 30 seconds after I ended my call to the A GM of the WM store. I'll be taking that issue up on the way to work today! I can't wait to hear this reply.

I have the name of the Asst. GM in my trusty notepad.

One more thing I forgot to mention. As I exited the WM store I checked the entrance for one of those "no firearms" signs. NONE TO BE FOUND!
    Glock 26

I've never had a problem at Lowes and I open carry all the time there (Concord, NH). I've also OCd at the Home Depots/Lowes in Concord, Hooksett, and Manchester on a somewhat regular basis (any time I'm there).
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I assume becaue its posted in the open carry section that he was.
    I see that now. But I never read section headings.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I have never had any problems at either Lowes or WalMart.

But, as for WalMart specifically, I recall reading somewhere that the WalMart Corporate Policy was to follow the State laws regarding firearms. This means that the local store management has no say in it and if it is legal then they have to allow it.

I would call WalMart Corporate rather than talking to the store.

Wal-Mart Corp. Policy

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    I have never had any problems at either Lowes or WalMart.

But, as for WalMart specifically, I recall reading somewhere that the WalMart Corporate Policy was to follow the State laws regarding firearms. This means that the local store management has no say in it and if it is legal then they have to allow it.

I would call WalMart Corporate rather than talking to the store.
    That thought did cross my mind about Wal-Mart Corporate policy following state laws. I was going to give the local WM store manager some room to tell me what his interpretation of the WM policy regarding OC in his/her particular store. Armed with the GM's "official" reply I will be contacting corporate for a response.

I sincerely hope that this manager thinks before he opens him mouth and espouses his version of OC policy. If it does not jive with corporate policy I will have issues for the corporate spokesperson I speak with at that time.

I'm hopeful I will get the "official" policy from the local store manager. If not, let the chips fall where they may!
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I don't OC often, but I see people in Lowe's as well as Wal-Mart OC fairly regularly. It's never been an issue that I have seen, but it seldom is here.

I went out last night with my wife to a local Food City to pick up some stuff for the party today that I had missed. I decided to OC, and we were in the store for not too long of a time. I don't think that a single person in the store noticed, and I was watching eyes to see who was looking.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I see that now. But I never read section headings.
    Then you should start.

It will save you some embarrassment.

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links