"Asked to leave" Best Buy today - Page 2

"Asked to leave" Best Buy today

This is a discussion on "Asked to leave" Best Buy today within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The next time something like that happens you should try a few of these suggestions. (1) Ask for the manager's business card (the all have ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    The next time something like that happens you should try a few of these suggestions.

(1) Ask for the manager's business card (the all have them.)
    (2) Ask for the district/regional managers contact info:
    -Names
    -Telephone numbers
    -Email address
    (3) Request IN WRITING a copy of the firearms policy for that particular BB store.
    (4) Ask if BB follows all NC laws, statutes, etc. This applies to laws that affect customers who patronize that store.

If the manager does not want to provide the above information explain that you will pursue the matter on your own WITHOUT his assistance. Do mention that you WILL mention that the manager was in no way cooperative in resolving this customer complaint.

I had to do all the research myself after a questionable event at a local WM store. I had to call individual stores and get contact information. Some stores were not cooperative at all. Other stores just kept me on hold until they could eventually locate someone who could help me. It may not be easy, but you can get a resolution to your bad experience at BB.

Start by calling the store and requesting contact information for the district/regional managers names & telephone numbers, etc. The trick is to be "firm but courteous" in your request for information.

I hope this helps you resolve this experience at Best Buy.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Bunny, Here's the Best Buy contact web page for customer relations. See where this gets you in resolving your experience at BB.

BestBuy.com Contact Us Form
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by NCinstructor View Post
    Why back down so easy? She told you it wasn't posted and its not store policy. I would have said I'm sorry, no policy, no notice I"m staying right here till I finish my business.
    Because your rights end where the business owner's begin. Can't speak specifically to NC law, but in Kansas if you're asked to leave and refuse to do so, the least you end up doing is talking to a cop. Refuse his request to leave and you're looking at trespassing.

Bunny -- you did just fine. I'm sorry they asked you to leave, but you did credit to yourself and the gun community by acting with dignity and respect for the rights of others. You may wish to spend your money elsewhere from now on and that's your right.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by kingdaddyoh View Post
    Yeah, you did good there kiddo. Age and experience has taught me to pick my fights and that's one you just couldn't win. Kill 'em with kindness!
    +1

bosco

He is a she...
    <snip>
    My mistake...fixed.

Brian

Good job Bunny, I liked your Whisky Tango Uniform.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Well as far as I'm concerned you did it just right. If you had started the 2A chest thumping you would have proven her first impressions right. By taking a polite and non confrontational tact you planted the seed for a convert. When she asked you to come back in I'm guessing it was because she saw she may have made a mistake in her first interaction.

I try to stress to my students that for every confrontational encounter you have you lose a chance to educate.

Next time there, see if you can find her and invite her to the local range for a free shooting intro. Stress the safety involved and maybe you'll end up on the "Friends & Family" discounts mailing.
    Good job!

VIP Member
    I have to agree with most that have posted, you handled this situation with class, no need to cause a seen and hurt OCing, or give another gun nut streotype, good job.

Good job Bunny. The screwiest part was being invited back in when she found out your husband was there. Definitely follow up with the district manager.

By the way, I just finished composing a letter to BB Corp from their CS web page. In the letter I requested to know BB's official corporate policy was with regard to law abiding citizens like you & I carrying firearms in BB stores. I specifically requested to know their policy regarding OC & CC so there will be no confusion the next time I enter my local BB store here in Vegas.

Within a few minutes a received a "confirmation" email message acknowledging the receipt of my email message. The message mentioned that I would be receiving a reply within 3 business days.

I can't wait for the answer to my request for information on OC & CC issues. Will it be some "politically correct" position or a clear explanation of corporate policy? I'll let you all know when the reply reaches my inbox.
    Last edited by Pikachu711; July 12th, 2009 at 07:47 AM.
    Glock 26

what ever happend to the days of OC when people assumed you were a LEO and minded their own dam business. Im not saying thats the best line of thinking but jus something ive noticed

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Me, I'm a bit of an a hole. If asked to leave I would simply say "Certainly, I'll be happy to. Oh, and before I do, could I get your name? I do want to get it write in my complaint to Best Buy Corporate. Oh, and I hope you don't NEED this job!"

Appropriate Reply

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    Me, I'm a bit of an a hole. If asked to leave I would simply say "Certainly, I'll be happy to. Oh, and before I do, could I get your name? I do want to get it write in my complaint to Best Buy Corporate. Oh, and I hope you don't NEED this job!"
    I suppose that would get their attention. In the future I'll be asking to speak with a manager and I'll be asking for his/her business card so I spell his/her name in my complaint to corporate HQ. lol

I've dealt so long with people who are somewhat "disagreeable" for so long I don't intimidate easily anymore. I'll just get all the info I need and then leave their store. I'll leave them wondering how serious I am about my intentions to make their job that much "more interesting."
    Glock 26

Why back down so easy? She told you it wasn't posted and its not store policy. I would have said I'm sorry, no policy, no notice I"m staying right here till I finish my business.
    I have never had anyplace ask me to leave of otherwise say anything to me other than positive comments. But if I ever do have a situation like Bunny had, I would react just like she did.

We open carriers are the most visible ambassadors of the gun folks to the sheeple. We do our cause harm by taking an overly militant stand. My policy is, be polite, if I am asked to leave I will, without spending my money there. And I will get names and store numbers for a correspondence with the corp. HQ.

Except for not getting the necessary info to include in a letter or phone call to the Corp. HQ, I think you did a great job. You are a credit to our kind.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Hmmm........

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later, I guess. Still OC'ing b/c the permit *grumble grumble* to CC hasn't arrived yet. Anyhow, with all the good luck and people not noticing, you'd think I was due.

Long story, but we have a 3 week old kitten now that needs to be fed every few hours, so I have to carry her with me when the family all goes out together for any length of time. We had to go to Best Buy today to pick up some DVDs, and then next door to Petsmart to get Kitty formula.

So here I am, OCing, with a tiny kitten in my left arm. Definitely NOT POSING A THREAT, right? One lady from BB rushes up and goes "aww, can I see the kitty?" and then her manager comes up and goes "Weird question for you --" I assumed it was about kitty. Nope. She goes "are you some sort of cop or something?"

I wanted SO badly to give her a smart-a answer, but I couldn't. I think had I said anything but "no, ma'am," it would technically have been impersonating a police officer, right? So I said no ma'am, and she said "well I'm gonna have to ask you to leave, for the safety of our customers."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I of COURSE said "oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't see a notice posted outside, or I would NEVER have walked in!" She said there IS NO NOTICE, and it's NOT STORE POLICY. But of course, I wanted to make a good impression and not be one of those folks to give all OC'ers a bad rep, so I smiled and said "oh, okay,. no problem. Again, I'm sorry if I caused any trouble." She was very nice and then once I was outside, she invited me in again because Mr. Bunny wanted to tell me that since I was going to walk next door, could I please pick up dog food" and she was totally like "oh, just come on in and talk to your husband, it's okay."

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

So, yeah, sadly I don't love Best Buy anymore. I should have gotten her name and the store number for a love letter to corporate, but it didn't occur to me until hours later. Oh well.

According to opencarry.org, North Carolina is not a fully preempted open carry state like Wyoming or Montana or New Mexico and open carry entails "severe restrictions". The city of Chapel Hill has even banned open carry. Private businesses can dictate whether or not you can open carry in their establishment and usually the managers are authorized to make decisions not covered by corporate policy. We have to remember that a state law that allows open carry is refering to public property, once you step onto private property, the owner or their representative makes the rules. Had you made a big scene you may have faced charges for trespassing, disorderly conduct and maybe resisting arrest, had you continued once the police arrived.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links