"Asked to leave" Best Buy today

This is a discussion on "Asked to leave" Best Buy today within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by crankinNM I would have laughed at her when she invited me back and told her I might never be back. I am ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: "Asked to leave" Best Buy today

Quote Originally Posted by crankinNM View Post
    I would have laughed at her when she invited me back and told her I might never be back.
    I am suprized Mr. Bunny didn't leave with you. If my wife was asked to leave I would have left as well letting them know they are losing any income from from us. No guns = No money in my book. Since getting our CCL's my wife and I have stopped going anywhere that has a gun buster sign.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    But at that particular moment, it didn't seem like any immediate good would have come from arguing with her, you know?
    I agree. You did good.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

VIP Member
    Bunny, I think you handled the situation well.

Now wheres the pictures of the kitten??!!

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NCinstructor View Post
    The next person walks in samething, the next person walks in samething, the next person walks in samething........
    Until BB doesn't have any customers any more.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I didn't see a point in making a scene. Two things could have happened. Either I would have laughed at her and asserted my legal right to OC in the store, thereby making a you-know-what out of myself and being a poor ambassador for OC rights in NC. --OR-- she would have freaked out and called the cops, and that would have been a big ol'e mess.
    Think you did a great job! In a lot of places (not sure about NC), if you don't leave and the police are called, I understand you can be charged with trespass. My guess is that's something you don't want, especially while you are waiting for your permit!

(BTW: I'm in Carolina Beach, NC for the week.)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    He is a she, and no thats how things get taken away from you. There was no policy in place. NC is a OC state. Even the manager stated there was no posting and no policy so by all rights she should have stood her ground and stayed.
    Sorry, can't agree with you. While the property may not be posted, once the owner/manager asks you to leave you have been notified.

No different than if she had been ask to leave because they didn't want pets in the store. Sure in this case it was a 3 week old kitten, but what if it were a 150lb Great Dane.

What if you went to a yard sale and were open carrying, the property owner tells you they don't want guns on their property and asks you to leave? Are you going to refuse to leave?

If you don't like how the store is being ran, let the corporate headquarters know and try to get it changed, or don't go back.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Bunny did well. It is counterproductive to argue the point when the business asks you to leave.

We might like to think that if a business does not permit carrying on their premises, but it won't. Although I much prefer to do business with a company which supports RKBA I will do otherwise when I need to.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Until BB doesn't have any customers any more.

when reading the last few post i was reminded of this prank, imagine if 80 OC'ers were dressed up as Best Buy employees
    YouTube - Improv Everywhere: Best Buy
    thats just a partial video the full video is at Best Buy at Improv Everywhere
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Bunny, you handled this perfectly. You had nothing to gain by arguing with the manager there and then, and everything to lose.

I suggest you go back unarmed (or CC once you receive your permit), and ask to speak with the manager about the legality of OC and store policy. You may be able to change her mind, but if not, using the same polite approach you used in this incident will leave a positive image of those who carry.

CP Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealie View Post
    I am suprized Mr. Bunny didn't leave with you. If my wife was asked to leave I would have left as well letting them know they are losing any income from from us. No guns = No money in my book. Since getting our CCL's my wife and I have stopped going anywhere that has a gun buster sign.
    +1

IMO, Bunny did just fine, but Mr. Bunny needs to be spanked. I'm sure Bunny took care of that when she got him home.

j/k, well not really. What would have made a bigger impression on the manager was Mr. Bunny handing over all of the merchandise to the manager that he had in hand to purchase and walk out with Mrs. Bunny. Especially if he had a big ticket item or two. Maybe it's just me, but if my wife isn't welcome in a store, then I'm not staying and giving them any of my money. If they don't see a "loss" associated with kicking a gun owner out, then they'll continue to do it.

Be polite, but don't give them any money.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdaddyoh View Post
    Yeah, you did good there kiddo. Age and experience has taught me to pick my fights and that's one you just couldn't win. Kill 'em with kindness!
    I agree. Good job Bunny.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Not sure of NC, but in TX as soon as the Manager asks you to leave and you don't you are trespassing.
    Same here in NC, once asked you MUST leave. To do otherwise is to risk LEO confrontation for trespass.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Criminal Trespassing

Why back down so easy? She told you it wasn't posted and its not store policy. I would have said I'm sorry, no policy, no notice I"m staying right here till I finish my business.
    Not sure of your local laws, but in Kentucky once you are asked to leave and you refuse you can be charged with criminal trespassing. I wouldn't be surprised to find similar laws in many places.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand.
    Kimber CDP fullsize Kimber CDP Ultra
    Colt Combat Commander Colt Goverment 1991
    Springfield Armory 1911-a1 Sig Sauer GSR 1911

I'm a 1911 guy.

Distinguished Member
    I agree, you did good. I would call corporate and get there views on this. Thanks for thinking of other gun owners in how you handled yourself.

Bunny did fine here, IMHO. I'm also a woman, and I also open carry from time to time in Nevada, where I live. The only thing I would have done differently is request the manager's name before leaving, and note the address and/or store number. But that is just a matter of convenience; she should have no trouble complaining/discussing this with corporate simply by telling them the address of the store and date and time this occurred; they are perfectly able to find out which manager(s) were on duty.

By behaving like a civilized person while open carrying, she made an important point both to the manager (who apparently was already second-guessing her rather impulsive decision to ask Bunny to leave) and anybody else who was present and observing or hears about it later -- that "carrying a gun" does *NOT* equal "dangerous/violent person".

Well done, Bunny. I hope I handle my first freakout as well. ;-)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links