"Asked to leave" Best Buy today - Page 4

"Asked to leave" Best Buy today

This is a discussion on "Asked to leave" Best Buy today within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bunny To be honest, I'm not a confrontational gal. My husband and son were with me (I try and mind the behavior ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    EAJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    To be honest, I'm not a confrontational gal. My husband and son were with me (I try and mind the behavior I am modeling for my impressionable 10-year-old son, especially when I am carrying.) as well as the little kitten. I didn't see a point in making a scene. Two things could have happened. Either I would have laughed at her and asserted my legal right to OC in the store, thereby making a you-know-what out of myself and being a poor ambassador for OC rights in NC. --OR-- she would have freaked out and called the cops, and that would have been a big ol'e mess. Even if I was vindicated. I do plan on writing a letter to corporate, and I WILL CC as soon as the permit comes through. But at that particular moment, it didn't seem like any immediate good would have come from arguing with her, you know? Sometimes, just being a good example does far more for a cause than being a jackaninny. Even if you're a jackaninny in the right.
    +1 Good call. You kept your cool and acted responsibly.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    According to opencarry.org, North Carolina is not a fully preempted open carry state like Wyoming or Montana or New Mexico and open carry entails "severe restrictions". The city of Chapel Hill has even banned open carry. Private businesses can dictate whether or not you can open carry in their establishment and usually the managers are authorized to make decisions not covered by corporate policy. We have to remember that a state law that allows open carry is refering to public property, once you step onto private property, the owner or their representative makes the rules. Had you made a big scene you may have faced charges for trespassing, disorderly conduct and maybe resisting arrest, had you continued once the police arrived.
    Yes. It's my understanding that once asked to leave, you must, or else they can call the cops and you can be charged for trespass. Even if that wasn't the law, I STILL would have left, be it Best Buy or someone's home, because I try really hard to be respectful and polite in any situation -- carrying or not. But when carrying, I feel like it's even more important to leave the right impression to everyone involved, including bystanders/witnesses, so they don't associate "crazy gun nut" with someone open carrying, but instead maybe "polite, normal person NOT OUT TO KILL ME." Apparently when they freak out, they freak out. The last thing any of us should want is for someone to get all excited. I think that sort of thing is contagious, especially in a crowd. And then...like I said..big ol'e mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealie View Post
    I am suprized Mr. Bunny didn't leave with you. If my wife was asked to leave I would have left as well letting them know they are losing any income from from us. No guns = No money in my book. Since getting our CCL's my wife and I have stopped going anywhere that has a gun buster sign.
    Clearly you haven't read any of my other posts involving Mr. Bunny! LOL. He's um...apathetic at BEST, I think is the proper way to put it :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

VIP Member
    Daddyoh said it!!

pick the hill you want to die on, and that was'nt it.

WASHINGTON DID’NT USE HIS RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH TO DEFEAT THE BRITISH, HE SHOT THEM

Here in Lincoln NE we had a victory as CCWers with Best Buy. The head loss prevention guy decided to post a no CCW sign on the front door. He even admitted directly to me that he was clueless about the local law when I mentioned to him that if they didn't pull down the sign, I wouldn't shop there anymore. So another CCWer from our local board sent a letter to BB corp, and received a response. The response was that it was NOT BB policy to restrict CCWers etc and that they like to ensure the safety of all of their customers and provide the best shopping experience possible. They also mentioned in that letter they would be contacting the store directly and having the remove the sign from the front door. Low and behold the sign was gone within two days! I hope that your response is just as good!

Quote Originally Posted by vettester2 View Post
    If I was shopping with my granddaughter and saw you carring I would have called the cops myself.
    Guys that open carry scare the hell out of most people and set the gun movement back 100 years.
    Please give it some thought before prancing around town carring open.
    And what about women carrying guns? I believe that Bunny is no man!

That is really weird. If there is no company policy or a clearly posted no firearms sign, the manager cannot make up her own rules. I would email corporate.

I OC'ed in Hollywood video the other day, I could see people staring, the store manager helped me find 2 movies, but never said anything to me or asked me about my firearm.

I usually wear a jacket over my t-shirt, but it was too darn hot!
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

If I was shopping with my granddaughter and saw you carring I would have called the cops myself.
    Guys that open carry scare the hell out of most people and set the gun movement back 100 years.
    If I had seen a woman with a kitten open carrying and had my grandchildren with me we would have been asking about the kitten and she and I would have been having a conversation about her gun and when she was expecting her ccl.

I'm sure she was totally a thing to fear with her kitty in tow.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NCinstructor View Post
    Why back down so easy? She told you it wasn't posted and its not store policy. I would have said I'm sorry, no policy, no notice I"m staying right here till I finish my business.
    NCInstructor,
    Since this happened in NC and I opine from your title you must be a NC firearms instructor, would you mind citing the NC law that you would use to back up your decision to stay once you were asked to leave by the Manger? Thanks in advance.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    And that's how you get classified as a 'gun nut.' I think she did the right thing, be nice, be polite, and take it up with corporate.
    I think it is possible to be polite without being unduly submissive.

"I'm sorry, did you say that it is not your store policy to prohibit lawful open carry? Then I will be finishing my shopping, if you don't mind."

Bunny, there is nothing wrong with choosing not to make a scene, but I think (from your posts here) that you are perfectly capable of being politely stubborn. This could well have been a good time for that. And a little smart-a**erry wouldn't hurt, either. "I'll be happy to put the Three Week Old Kitten in the car for the safety of your customers..."
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

You handled it well Bunny, it's just crappy that you weren't doing anything wrong and were asked to leave "for the customers safety', good thing she caught you in time, before your evil gun "went off", or jumped out of the holster and slew someone. Definitely follow up with Corporate. I agree with those who wouldn't have allowed the rest of the family in the store either, no Bunny, no money, no honey or sonny !

P.S.
    Bunny,
    Don't you know by now that when you're going to shoot up a Best Buy that you can't bring the whole family ? It was the kitten that did you in . 90 percent of people that shoot places up are found with kittens in their pockets. You're already scary looking enough without the kitten.

This forum is the last place I thought I'd find a hoplophobe!

The rules for this section of the forum are that debate about OC is not allowed, yet there are many of these thinly veiled attacks on OCers that continue to pop up in these threads. Perhaps the moderators could just start deleting these misplaced posts? Please?

If you're so against OC, Vettester2, and can't keep from adding such posts to these threads, perhaps you should say out of this section?

Personally, if I saw Bunny carrying openly while I was shopping, I'd probably think to myself, "what a sexy woman!" If she was there with her husband, I'd congratulate him on his good fortune.

Bunny, you don't happen to have a like-minded sister that wants to move out west, do ya?

CP Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Calling the cops on somebody because they don't fit your political philosophy is called intimidation.

Please give this some though before misusing emergency response resources.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Calling the cops on somebody because they don't fit your political philosophy is called intimidation.

Please give this some though before misusing emergency response resources.
    If you saw a group of young males, covered with tattoos, pants around their knees, sporting cheap looking bling and you noticed they had Hi Points shoved into their waistbands Mexican style, do you think it would be prudent to call the police?

No?

Or do you inject your personal judgement based on your political philosophy?

Please give this some thought before chastising others with legitimate concerns.

VIP Member

Actually it is attitudes like you express that sets the gun movement back. The OP was following the laws of the state she resides in. She is waiting for her CC permit and because of that she has no other option at this time other than to OC.

Using your logic I should be able to call the police on someone because they are driving a corvette and those high speed machines are made strictly for racing and that scares me.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    If you saw a group of young males, covered with tattoos, pants around their knees, sporting cheap looking bling and you noticed they had Hi Points shoved into their waistbands Mexican style, do you think it would be prudent to call the police?

No?

Or do you inject your personal judgement based on your political philosophy?

Please give this some thought before chastising others with legitimate concerns.
    Only if they were harassing people or doing somthing else illegal. If they were acting "suspicious" I'd either be on my way, or if I couldn't leave for some reason I'd keep an eye on them. But I wouldn't call the police because of my "personal judgement."

Not all people with tattoos and cheap bling are gang members. Tattoos are a lot more mainstream now than they used to be. Personally, I don't have one. I can't think of something that I'd want on my body for the rest of my life. But I'm the only one in my family that doesn't. My wife has 2, my brothers and father are covered in them. Even my mother and sisters have a couple. None of them are criminals, and two of them own their own businesses. Also, a lot of kids wear baggy pants and not all of them are thugs. I wear them sometimes too and I'm 38. They are really quite comfortable.

Plus around here, it is perfectly legal to carry a gun, open or concealed, without a permit. We still don't see open carry that often, but we don't freak out when we do.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links