"Asked to leave" Best Buy today

This is a discussion on "Asked to leave" Best Buy today within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Vettester2: Here is me, all big bad and scary (all 5'4"), as menacing as I can possibly look for the camera. Notice the Sig on ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: "Asked to leave" Best Buy today

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Vettester2:

Here is me, all big bad and scary (all 5'4"), as menacing as I can possibly look for the camera. Notice the Sig on my hip, even.

Let me know when you're in fear for your safety, I'd actually be flattered. I've yet to EVER intimidate anyone by looks alone. Unless my dogs are with me, but that has everything to do with them and nothing to do with me.

Bear in mind I had my husband, 10 year old son, and 3 week old kitten in tow. I can't imagine local PD's reaction if they came in on your BWAG call.

I hardly think I was prancing around town. We had 2 errands to run: Best Buy and Petsmart, both at the same strip mall.

Again, not sure what was so threatening here, please enlighten me.

I see you are from MA. Is Massachusetts an open carry state? Here in NC, we are an OC state, so it's really not that big of a deal. Or at least, it doesn't seem to be in my area. I've been OCing since April without ever being asked to leave. With the exception of one wannabe gangsta trying to be "cool and funny," I've either been off the radar, or when people HAVE noticed (LEOs and civilians alike), it's been a great converstaion starter and opportunity to educate. In fact, I have three women that I am taking to the range and teaching how to shoot now, including a police officer's wife. So the way I see it --at least around here-- it's a good thing. Even at Best buy, nobody screamed, there wasn't a mob scene...just a manager politely asking me to leave if I wasn't LEO, and me politely agreeing to. And then her second guessing and allowing me back in the store to talk to my husband. --yeah, I'm a girl if you didn't catch that yet.
    Attached Images
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by grandma4 View Post
    I'm sure she was totally a thing to fear with her kitty in tow.
    It's true. I'm terrifying. My 160-lb pup has NOTHING on that 3 week old kitten, she's the devil!

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Bunny, there is nothing wrong with choosing not to make a scene, but I think (from your posts here) that you are perfectly capable of being politely stubborn. This could well have been a good time for that. And a little smart-a**erry wouldn't hurt, either. "I'll be happy to put the Three Week Old Kitten in the car for the safety of your customers..."
    You're completely right, Kazz, I only wish I'd thought of it at the time!

Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post
    This forum is the last place I thought I'd find a hoplophobe!
    A what now? OH! Someone with an irrational fear of guns! I get it. I saw "hop" and thought it was someone afraid of bunnies. Is that even possible?

Thank you, wiktionary! hoplophobia - Wiktionary

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Not sure of NC, but in TX as soon as the Manager asks you to leave and you don't you are trespassing.
    I live in nc and i believe the same is true here. i would leave if asked and return another day.

However, now with people being shot in bathroom stalls, places like this Best Buy have an actual argument for not letting armed citizens on their property. :(
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post
    ... carrying openly while I was shopping, I'd probably think to myself, "what a sexy woman!"
    You know, it's funny (maybe). I remember seeing a young woman field strip and reassemble a 1911 at a gun show a couple of months ago ... she was so quickly competent with the used gun she considered buying. Something about the beauty of well-engineered metal combined with manicured nails just works. I like seeing my wife at the range with a smile on her face ... nothing sexier ... okay, almost nothing

back to topic ... Bunny did the right thing ... leave a good impression and submerge ...then launch torpedoes through corporate

and an even better thing when she helped as an exemplar at PetSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Roy McC View Post
    Good job Bunny, I liked your Whisky Tango Uniform.

WTU?
    You mean...***?
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Bunny, you did just fine, not much else to do.
    By the way, how's the pooch?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hey, those killer rabbits are nothing to joke about.
    Attached Images

Ret -- so much better, thanks! I haven't posted about her yet, I'm waiting till the stitches are out and she gets a clean bill of health...just in case. So far so good though, keep your paws crossed!

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Fine job Bunny, fine job.

Oh!

Keep the dogs away from the kitty litter box!!

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    If you saw a group of young males, covered with tattoos, pants around their knees, sporting cheap looking bling and you noticed they had Hi Points shoved into their waistbands Mexican style, do you think it would be prudent to call the police?

No?

Or do you inject your personal judgement based on your political philosophy?

Please give this some thought before chastising others with legitimate concerns.
    Well, I'm not sure about the legality of not carrying in a holster, but I would say that if they have their pants around their knees and carrying in their waistband, it could be a safety issue (especially with people getting shot in stalls). Other than that, I like the hi-point and tattoos. Cheap bling? Not everyone has money for the real thing.

Curious as to why you would pose the question though. Is that a bias? It is certainly not a legitimate concern if they are doing nothing illegal (not sure about that holster thing) and definitely a waste of emergency resources.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

For those of you are interested here's the reply I received from Best Buy Customer Relations:

Enjoy!

Subject: Re: Best Buy (KMM10205413I65L0KM)
    Date: Jul 12, 1:26 PM

Bob-

Thank you for your inquiry into our policy of 'open carry' of firearms, I have learned a lot about this subject based on your thoughtful question. Best Buy respects the laws afforded to its customers as citizens of the United States. As such, we comply with all applicable laws and statutes and will not ban guns at retail locations.

I briefly researched the laws in North Carolina on your behalf and found that 'open carry' is also legal throughout North Carolina except within the town of Cary, which forbids it by local ordinance. In the city of Chapel Hill, open carry has additional restrictions.

I encourage you and your friend to reach out to your local government, as Best Buy does not ban guns at our retail location unless required to do so by the local government in that area.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions and concerns. I have done my best to cover your question fully, and hope to shed more light on Best Buy's policy.

Best wishes for a beautiful week, Jessica
    Best Buy Consumer Relations
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

nice :)
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

By the way, while I was in a 2nd Amendment rights letter writing mood I also composed a letter to Target Corporate as well. I'll be sure and post that here when it arrives.

For some odd since joining this group I'm getting more involved in 2nd Amendment rights for us in various retail establishments. Who would have thought that this group would have had that impact on me? lol

More to follow later!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by NCinstructor View Post
    He is a she, and no thats how things get taken away from you. There was no policy in place. NC is a OC state. Even the manager stated there was no posting and no policy so by all rights she should have stood her ground and stayed.
    So you are suggesting that she, having been asked to leave, refuse to do so and therefore be open to a charge of 1st degree trespass?

Businesses, open to the public or not, are still private property. They can refuse service to anyone and ask anyone to leave, for any or no reason. Is is good business practice? Generally no, but it is their right to do so.

I think Bunny did the right thing. While I don't agree with what the Best Buy manager did, I wouldn't suggest to anyone that they ignore a lawful order to leave private property for any reason.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Key to this discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    "well I'm gonna have to ask you to leave, for the safety of our customers."

Bunny increased the safety of BB customers and herself by being armed.

With hindsite: "Ma'am, I'll be happy to leave but please think about how that serves your customers"

Links