"Asked to leave" Best Buy today - Page 9

"Asked to leave" Best Buy today

This is a discussion on "Asked to leave" Best Buy today within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by highvoltage Slight correction for you. Since it's not a state law or local law, nor company policy; then it becomes her policy. ...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: "Asked to leave" Best Buy today

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Slight correction for you. Since it's not a state law or local law, nor company policy; then it becomes her policy.
    No, but once she posts, it's state law that I can not carry in her store. So that's why I wrote it that way, but I see what's you're saying. To-may-to, to-mah to, I guess :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I am an absolute believer in profiling. It is an important tool in preventing crime/terrorism. If you have any doubts about the success of profiling, I suggest you read the words of the Israeli general (whose name escapes me) who described the process in detail.
    Profiling is a tool to alert you to a potential problem. Not a tool to decide who you call the cops on and who you don't.

If you feel comfortable walking away when [likely] criminals may be about to rob/rape/terrorize others then I have little to say. I think calling 911 would defintiely be in order.
    Wait a minute now. In your hypothetical, the tattooed, gun carrying gentlemen have don't nothing illegal for you to call them criminals. Now if you are changing your story to highlight that they are known to be criminals, I think most of us would change our answers and call 911. You are a slippery devil. That's for sure.

I never condoned that view. I only know that we all have different ideas about who is a threat and who is not. And to think your view should be the standard is an arrogant stance.
    Viewing someone as a threat is not the same as making a decision to call the cops because you THINK they might be about to do something illegal. I view many people as *potential* threats that tell me I need to gather more information about certain individuals (closer observation, etc). Remember that *this* hypothetical was brought up by someone claiming they would call the police on someone for *simply* open carrying, legal in many of our states, including mine. So going back to your hypothetical.. Did the gentlemen break a law or do they just appear like the types who might? It's a big difference.
    Last edited by Faitmaker; July 15th, 2009 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Besides, as long as you agree on the effectiveness of profiling, then you must also believe that calling the police on Bunny, as described in her actual situation at Best Buy, is a complete waste of limited resources and utterly antithetical to the appropriate use of profiling. It is the moral equivalent of calling 911 because Mickey D's only put five Chicken McDivets in your 6-pack.
    More like calling 911 because the 6-pack felt light. You haven't even bothered to count them yet.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    ... she said "well I'm gonna have to ask you to leave, for the safety of our customers."...
    OP was fine, but IMO, I would have clarified why I posed a threat to the safety of customers.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

You handled it well Bunny! I'm hoping that "Jodie" doesn't post her particular store with the "no guns" logo under the circumstances. That would be ashamed if she decided to go against corporate policy of following local & state firearms laws.

I had the same experience when I called WM and spoke with "Holly." She was one of the area managers here in Vegas. Holly was very helpful, open to my perspective on the problem, and was receptive to my opinions on the experience I had at one of her stores. She is the type person who is very good at her job. Her subordinates at her stores could learn something from her positive attitude. She made sure to mention to call her back if I experienced any future problems at any of her stores that she supervises.

Again, you handled the situation very bell! Congrats from another victim of an uninformed customer service person at a local store.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    No, but once she posts, it's state law that I can not carry in her store. So that's why I wrote it that way, but I see what's you're saying. To-may-to, to-mah to, I guess :)
    Interesting. So the law reads "it's legal to carry unless otherwise posted," or something like that?

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Well, following the above cheat sheet, if it doesn't apply to any of the specified "no concealed carry " or "no firearms allowed" then in NC, you can OC. BUT even if the law says you can OC, you have to go by the individual property. If I can carry at a Grocery Store, great. But if they put a sign in the window saying "no firearms allowed" then I have to obey the sign and disarm if I want to shop there.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Sponsored Links