"Asked to leave" Best Buy today

This is a discussion on "Asked to leave" Best Buy today within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later, I guess. Still OC'ing b/c the permit *grumble grumble* to CC hasn't arrived yet. Anyhow, with ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Asked to leave" Best Buy today

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later, I guess. Still OC'ing b/c the permit *grumble grumble* to CC hasn't arrived yet. Anyhow, with all the good luck and people not noticing, you'd think I was due.

Long story, but we have a 3 week old kitten now that needs to be fed every few hours, so I have to carry her with me when the family all goes out together for any length of time. We had to go to Best Buy today to pick up some DVDs, and then next door to Petsmart to get Kitty formula.

So here I am, OCing, with a tiny kitten in my left arm. Definitely NOT POSING A THREAT, right? One lady from BB rushes up and goes "aww, can I see the kitty?" and then her manager comes up and goes "Weird question for you --" I assumed it was about kitty. Nope. She goes "are you some sort of cop or something?"

I wanted SO badly to give her a smart-a answer, but I couldn't. I think had I said anything but "no, ma'am," it would technically have been impersonating a police officer, right? So I said no ma'am, and she said "well I'm gonna have to ask you to leave, for the safety of our customers."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I of COURSE said "oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't see a notice posted outside, or I would NEVER have walked in!" She said there IS NO NOTICE, and it's NOT STORE POLICY. But of course, I wanted to make a good impression and not be one of those folks to give all OC'ers a bad rep, so I smiled and said "oh, okay,. no problem. Again, I'm sorry if I caused any trouble." She was very nice and then once I was outside, she invited me in again because Mr. Bunny wanted to tell me that since I was going to walk next door, could I please pick up dog food" and she was totally like "oh, just come on in and talk to your husband, it's okay."

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

So, yeah, sadly I don't love Best Buy anymore. I should have gotten her name and the store number for a love letter to corporate, but it didn't occur to me until hours later. Oh well.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Why back down so easy? She told you it wasn't posted and its not store policy. I would have said I'm sorry, no policy, no notice I"m staying right here till I finish my business.
    | Type 01 FFL / SOT |
    | NC CHP Instructor | NRA Pistol Instructor |

That was gonna be my question. I have been very confused about the asking to leave thing in NC. Is it because of loca ordinance or just a not informed sales clerk?
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Wow......people are so unpredictable.

Either way it was a learning experience.

I would have laughed at her when she invited me back and told her I might never be back.

Quote Originally Posted by NCinstructor View Post
    Why back down so easy? She told you it wasn't posted and its not store policy. I would have said I'm sorry, no policy, no notice I"m staying right here till I finish my business.
    And that's how you get classified as a 'gun nut.' I think she did the right thing, be nice, be polite, and take it up with corporate.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    And that's how you get classified as a 'gun nut.' I think he did the right thing, be nice, be polite, and take it up with corporate.

Brian
    He is a she, and no thats how things get taken away from you. There was no policy in place. NC is a OC state. Even the manager stated there was no posting and no policy so by all rights she should have stood her ground and stayed.
    | Type 01 FFL / SOT |

Not sure of NC, but in TX as soon as the Manager asks you to leave and you don't you are trespassing.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Yeah, you did good there kiddo. Age and experience has taught me to pick my fights and that's one you just couldn't win. Kill 'em with kindness!

To be honest, I'm not a confrontational gal. My husband and son were with me (I try and mind the behavior I am modeling for my impressionable 10-year-old son, especially when I am carrying.) as well as the little kitten. I didn't see a point in making a scene. Two things could have happened. Either I would have laughed at her and asserted my legal right to OC in the store, thereby making a you-know-what out of myself and being a poor ambassador for OC rights in NC. --OR-- she would have freaked out and called the cops, and that would have been a big ol'e mess. Even if I was vindicated. I do plan on writing a letter to corporate, and I WILL CC as soon as the permit comes through. But at that particular moment, it didn't seem like any immediate good would have come from arguing with her, you know? Sometimes, just being a good example does far more for a cause than being a jackaninny. Even if you're a jackaninny in the right.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NCinstructor View Post
    He is a she, and no thats how things get taken away from you.
    Really? How does being polite, courteous and respectful get things taken away from you?

Good job, Bunny!

PS - I walked right over to Petsmart, and the cashier goes "Oh! You have a gun!"

*roll eyes*

I smiled and very politely said "yes but if you react that way every time someone open carries in your store, you may freak people out unnecessarily."

She apologized and then said "I don't know, what are the laws here, can you DO that?" so we had a brief chat about NC OC, and she said "cool! Is that a 9mm?" I said yes, and then she said how maybe she would like to learn how to shoot and OC herself!

So the Best Buy thing maybe was good? I probably didn't convince the BB manager to pull the wool off, but maybe the Petsmart cashier will be a new fellow OCer? One less potential victim, one more potential 2Advocate!

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Really? How does being polite, courteous and respectful get things taken away from you?

Good job, Bunny!
    The next person walks in samething, the next person walks in samething, the next person walks in samething. I could keep going.
    | Type 01 FFL / SOT |

I see your point, NCinstructor. A right unexcercised is a right lost. But I think you have to take it case-by-case, too. It's one person at one Best Buy. It's not corporate policy, and I feel as though I might have done more damage to the "image" of people carrying by arguing with this woman and making a scene, than leaving while everyone was being pleasant. I can always come back and try again, or call/write corporate HQ.

But this way, she'll be left with a "hmm, that went well, what a nice lady" instead of a "OMG, there was this PSYCHO gun chick at the store today! Made a scene and scared me half to death!" picture in her mind.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    That's got to be the first "Bunny with a kitty" call.

While not a big fan of made up rules, congrats on your diplomacy.

What about answering the "Are you a cop or something?" with a simple, "don't worry, I'm one of the good guys."
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

BB is not worth a hoot JMO PS Thier prices are to high like thier employees :-(
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links