Open Carry / RTKBA saved lives in Richmond, Va last night

This is a discussion on Open Carry / RTKBA saved lives in Richmond, Va last night within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From the article, it sounds like our hero customer was carrying in the open. Regardless of whether open or concealed, thank goodness he was there. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry / RTKBA saved lives in Richmond, Va last night

From the article, it sounds like our hero customer was carrying in the open. Regardless of whether open or concealed, thank goodness he was there.

Two shot in South Richmond store | Richmond Times-Dispatch

Rob

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roberev View Post
    From the article, it sounds like our hero customer was carrying in the open.
    Do you think the possibility that he was open carrying a gun had anything to do with the fact the criminal opened fire on the patrons?

It is widely believed that open carriers will be targeted by criminals. It appears this story provides evidence.

The man who shot the robber is a friend of the store owner, and he was wearing a holster with a Western-style revolver, said Managing Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney Tracy Thorne-Begland.

After the suspect shot the store owner and opened fire on patrons, the owner's friend shot the suspect once in the torso, took his gun and called police, Thorne-Begland said.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I think it is running here http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-robber.html

Cheers,
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Do you think the possibility that he was open carrying a gun had anything to do with the fact the criminal opened fire on the patrons?

It is widely believed that open carriers will be targeted by criminals. It appears this story provides evidence.

The man who shot the robber is a friend of the store owner, and he was wearing a holster with a Western-style revolver, said Managing Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney Tracy Thorne-Begland.

After the suspect shot the store owner and opened fire on patrons, the owner's friend shot the suspect once in the torso, took his gun and called police, Thorne-Begland said.
    No I do not think this is evidence that open carriers are targeted by criminals. If the criminal had shot the guy who was open carrying I might be a little more inclined to buy into your theory. But he shot someone else, not the guy with the gun. I would be willing to bet a lot of money that if we could ask the scum bag, he would tell you he wasn't even aware that the other fellow had a gun and was quite surprised when it was produced and he was shot.

Well done to the hero. But I would suggest he pick a better weapon more suited to carrying and modern self defense.
    Last edited by MattInFla; July 17th, 2009 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tag
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

now what kind of logic is this?
    The man open carrying the gun was not shot first.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    now what kind of logic is this?
    The man open carrying the gun was not shot first.
    It is the same logic that allows someone to post this in an open carry subforum, as if that had anything to do with the result.

The fact that the criminal fired on the patrons, very unusual in a stop and rob, could very well have been initiated by seeing someone open carrying. Perhaps the training and awareness of the open carrier was the reason he was not shot [first].

From what I have read here, the main goal of most people that open carry is not self defense.

VIP Member
    It is the same logic that allows someone to post this in an open carry subforum, as if that had anything to do with the result.

The fact that the criminal fired on the patrons, very unusual in a stop and rob, could very well have been initiated by seeing someone open carrying. Perhaps the training and awareness of the open carrier was the reason he was not shot [first].

From what I have read here, the main goal of most people that open carry is not self defense.

Interesting observation. Please share with all of us what their main goal is.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Interesting observation. Please share with all of us what their main goal is.
    No thanks. If you want to go down that most interesting path then I suggest you ask the question on the conservativestronghold site, also administered by Bumper.

I would be more than happy to elaborate.

Why does this have to keep coming up? I open carry the majority of the time and self defense is my one and only concern. Why is open carry any less legitimate a mode of carry for self defense than concealed carry?

I am continually amazed that people who are only OK with concealed carry can't understand why we would ever open carry and think less of us for doing it but those of us who open carry are completely OK with someone carrying any way they want, just as long as they do. Seems we are the more tolerant bunch to me.

And this may well get the thread closed but this needs to be said. If you are so opposed to open carry, fine. Be opposed to it. But don't come on the open carry part of the site and try to start these stupid, idiotic debates with us. Just keep it to yourself as the rules say you are supposed to! We are all adults, we do not need to have your narrow point of view as it pertains to carrying a gun rammed down our throats for our own good.

Good Lord.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Why does this have to keep coming up? I open carry the majority of the time and self defense is my one and only concern.
    And I have never challenged that. It is however, a matter of record that some want to get in the face of authorities because it is their 'right.'

Why is open carry any less legitimate a mode of carry for self defense than concealed carry?
    It is not and I support open carry as I have written repeatedly. Many people do not understand my view.

I am continually amazed that people who are only OK with concealed carry can't understand why we would ever open carry and think less of us for doing it but those of us who open carry are completely OK with someone carrying any way they want, just as long as they do. Seems we are the more tolerant bunch to me.
    Explain that tolerance as it relates to perfectly legal requests for identification that some use as an excuse for defying authority? How is that tolerant of a law enforcement officer performing his job?

And this may well get the thread closed but this needs to be said. If you are so opposed to open carry, fine. Be opposed to it. But don't come on the open carry part of the site and try to start these stupid, idiotic debates with us. Just keep it to yourself as the rules say you are supposed to!
    Exactly what do you think I wrote that violates the rules. As I understand it, we should not debate the demerits of open carry and compare it with cocealed carry. If you think this should be a forum for open carry propaganda, without calling out ridiculous assertions (such as the topic, if we could get back to that) then we do have a disagreement. Honest debate should not be censored all because the subject is personal to you. This has NOTHING to do with concealed vs. open carry but whether the evidence supports the initial assertion (in an attempt to promote open carry.)

We are all adults, we do not need to have your narrow point of view as it pertains to carrying a gun rammed down our throats for our own good.
    I would suggest that it is your view that is narrow.

Good Lord.
    At least we can agree on that, unless you were being facetious.

I may well have misread your intent selfdefense. I think I owe you an apology. I thought you might have been one of the rabidly anti-OC guys. If this is not the case, I am sorry.

But, I don't think my view is narrow at all. I am in favor of concealed and open carry. My feeling is, just be armed. If you feel more comfortable hiding your gun, then by all means do so. I conceal carry as well. But, I am most comfortable (physically comfortable) open carrying. It is hot here in West Tennessee this time of year and I like the ability to carry with out having to wear another shirt to cover my gun.

I have never been attacked or even had a ill comment directed at me for open carrying (not in person anyway, but on line I have been berated) in fact, I have had nothing but positive comments from civilians and police officers alike.

Again, I am sorry for misinterpreting your intent.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I may well have misread your intent selfdefense. I think I owe you an apology. I thought you might have been one of the rabidly anti-OC guys. If this is not the case, I am sorry.
    No, you don't owe me an apology. I often come across as being anti open carry because I question and highlight the motives and actions of some.

I completely support open carry and sometimes open carry myself in select circumstances.

Great example of a CCW'er protecting himself and those around him.
    This dirtbag should have had a couple more well-placed shots administered...but congrats to the good citizen anyway.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"Double-Tap, Center-Mass Boogie", as Ted Nugent calls it. Sounds like a MINIMUM level of response. But, good for this guy for at least throwing one downtown.
    Guns don't kill people.
    Gaping wounds in vital organs do.
    ============
    NRA Life Member
    Colt M1911A1 / H&K USP45

Nice to see it ended before more damage could be inflicted. Read some of the readers responses on that site and amazing how some see it when a positive thing had resulted, and the one comment about countries with no guns = lower gun crime. Must be fantasy island, because it sure wouldn't be like that here.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links