Open Carry at TD Bank - Police Called - Page 2

Open Carry at TD Bank - Police Called

This is a discussion on Open Carry at TD Bank - Police Called within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The East is so different from the West. Before I had a vault, I used to keep several class III guns in a bank safety ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry at TD Bank - Police Called

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    The East is so different from the West. Before I had a vault, I used to keep several class III guns in a bank safety deposit box. I'd go get them when I wanted to shoot and then take them back. Bank personnel got to know me so well, that upon seeing me they would say "did you come for your guns"? or "going shooting today"? Never had a single complaint. One teller was heartbroken when on my last withdrawal I announced I had bought a safe. "Come back and see us anyway" she said. Yup, area makes a difference.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

One thing I noticed is that you seemed to be in condition white,she was able to walk up behind you and had she been an armed robber etc.could have very possibly disarmed you,A gun doesn't do you much good if somebody gets the drop on you
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by sirfarmer View Post

The bank manager, Cecile Chase, tapped me on my back. She yelled out that I was not allowed to carry a gun into the bank. She also barked out that I was breaking federal law because (brining a gun into the bank).
    She blew it when she invented that BS line about you violating Federal law. To me, inventing non-existent laws casts strong doubt upon her ability to manage even a small-town branch bank.

Just keep in mind that a business can ask you to leave for any or no reason (with a few exceptions), and if you don't leave when asked, you are trespassing.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    If she was so worried about you having a gun why did she sneak up behind you and tap you on the shoulder.
    That's a frequent element in these idiotic situations.

"I'm afraid of people with guns!"

"So then that's why you loudly and rudely rebuke them in public?"

These people are either liars, fools or both. I vote for the latter.

VIP Member
    You should go over her head and see what her boss says. Let's us know what you find out.

A listing of TD Bank corporate officers

TD Bank Financial Group - Corporate Information - Executive Profiles

a list of media relations people

TD Bank Financial Group - Media Relations Contacts

Shareholder relations

TD Shareholder Relations
    TD Tower, 12th Floor
    66 Wellington Street West
    Toronto, ON M5K 1A2
    Telephone: (416) 944-6367

Notice that corp headquarters is in Canada. I am not overly hopeful as to the response.

Having said that, often the best way to get someone IMPORTANT on the line is to go through investor relations. Get someone over there, not neccessarily the top Investor relations person but someone further down. Start out by saying, you know they are not the correct person to talk to but you would greatly appreciate her help in getting to someone of authority for a problem that you encountered with a transaction at one of their banks. Be direct, but be vague. If they try to bump you over to the regular 1800 customer service line, just plainly state that the problem is significantly beyond their pay grade and leave the sentence hang.

It may take a few calls. Note the person's name who answers and on each call ask for them by name and keep them bumping you up the food chain. Each time you go up the food chain, make a verbal note of who you are talking to as you write the information down and confirm name, title and direct phone number.

I did this once with a rental car issue where my GF at the time was left without a car in a foreign country due to a clerk's lack of concern. Within 2 hours, she had her complete vacation's car rental comped and she was upgraded to the car of her choice. But it took me 2 hours of food chain climbing, starting with investor relations.

It may have helped that I was a stock broker then, but I think going through the Investor relations side, those people are not hardened and trained to deflect. It also helps if you have a name or 3 to drop, such as would someone in

Bharat Masrani
    Group Head, U.S. Personal and Commercial Banking,
    TD Bank Financial Group
    and President & CEO, TD Bank, N.A.

office be the appropriate place to go?

I ended up with a SR VP of N. American Operations on the line. Problem fixed and he (personally) called me back to follow up the day after she returned her car.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGuyPR View Post
    Why would Brinks personnel disarm? They are not crazy civilians with guns unlike the rest of us.
    I would submit to you that they are no different than any other civilian. Police are not either. Well other than we are crazy.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

The chief suggested a either conceal it better or simply secure it in my vehicle. I'm drafting a letter to TD Bank corporate tomorrow but feel it will probably be lost and will receive a general customer service response.
    The way to avoid this particular problem is to address the letter to the CEO, and then send it certified mail, return receipt requested. This means that, on the receiving end, someone will have to sign for the item, and you can prove it was delivered. The implication on the receiving end is that this is some legal document.

Most companies of any size, and certainly any the size of TD Bank, will have a policy that such email gets entered in a log, and the disposition of the item gets logged, so that they can track what arrived when and how it was dealt with.

It's unlikely that the CEO will even see your mail. It will be delegated to some guy whose job it is to handle unusual stuff and make it go away so the CEO isn't bothered by it. But that person will probably be directly accountable to the CEO, and thus will not be some line level customer service person.

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Just keep in mind that a business can ask you to leave for any or no reason (with a few exceptions), and if you don't leave when asked, you are trespassing.

-john
    Well to be fair, she was having a conversation with him concerning the legality of him having a weapon in the bank. From the story presented, she never asked him to leave.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post

-john
    I believe (I could be wrong) that if you are a depositor of the bank you are a "member" of the bank. Therefore you cannot be asked to leave or be arrested for trespassing as could a "common customer." Remember, what is involved in your right to have access to YOUR MONEY and they cannot keep you from it under threat of criminal prosecution.

However, as I said, I could be wrong in this and someone (not me please) needs to do the research on this issue for a definitive answer.

Just to play the devil's advocate, I'd say they are not refusing access, just placing a term on access (just like "no shoes, no service").

As for "rights", read your contract with the bank. This is a private agreement, not the government.

I'm all for urging businesses to understand people would choose to take their security seriously are good customers, but we need to be careful we keep the issues straight.

-john

The bank manager, Cecile Chase, tapped me on my back. I was a little shocked that she had crept up behind me but was not too alarmed. She yelled out that I was not allowed to carry a gun into the bank. She also barked out that I was breaking federal law because (brining a gun into the bank). I calmly introduced myself formally and explained I was making large cash deposits. I explained the gun was for my safety and I was no different than armed couriers in this state. She again reiterated that I was breaking the law and said the next time I would be arrested. I again informed her that I was licensed to carry in this and many other states and frequently carry into her bank and other banks in the area. She was unphased and said the police had been called. I thanked her for her time and asked for her business card, which she provided, when I left.

don't you just love it when uneducated morons, totally ignorant of the law, try and tell you what the law is? i had a bank manager pull this crap on me over a year ago. i'd been a customer of the bank for over 10 years, had carried openly frequently, and was friendly with the original manager. this new one was a total tool. she tried that "federal law" crap, too. a week later, after speaking with the bank president, they put signs on all the branches, barring anyone from carrying. i withdrew all my money promptly, as did all of my family members, and friends, who had accounts there. that's about 20+ people.

(Near the Second Amendment But Unfortunately Not Affected By It)
    TD bank is a Canadian bank.
    Cecile may be Canadian.

If she is, she would be more comfortable on the other side of the border, where the only defense she will have is her cell phone.
    NRA 2AF IDPA
    Tactical Pistol Instructor

My e-mail to the bank manager below.

Cecile M. Chase
    Vice President - Banking Center Manager

Ma'am,

I respectfully request that you update your knowledge of handgun laws for your state. You tried to instigate an argument with a gentleman that was making a deposit of a large sum of money in your bank because he was armed. He was carrying his firearm in accordance with state and federal law, and carrying for self defense in case of a robbery due to the large sum of money previously mentioned.

It is not only his right as a law abiding citizen to carry a firearm for protection, it is also his responsibility to protect that which he was carrying.

Thank you for your time.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links