Open Carry at TD Bank - Police Called - Page 5

Open Carry at TD Bank - Police Called

This is a discussion on Open Carry at TD Bank - Police Called within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Please, work on your situational awareness while OC....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry at TD Bank - Police Called

Please, work on your situational awareness while OC.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Gun Free Zone

Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    All she has to do is to sneak up behind the robber and shout, "You can't have a gun in here". Of course, the robber will politely say, "I'm sorry, I didn't know that", leave and go rob someplace which allows guns.
    Another alternative is to buy some of those nifty "Gun Free Zone" signs for her bank. The next time her bank is being robber sneak up to the bank robber and say, "I'm sorry sir, this bank is "Gun Free Zone", would please leave my bank now?" LOL
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post

If there were other customers in the bank the last thing I would do is try to embarrass a customer. If this was the case I would seriously consider her "people" skills for this type situation.

IMHO, what she should have done was waited until you had completed your banking. As you were walking away from the window she should have approached you and asked to speak with you in the office. There she could have more tactfully taken up the issue of your OC'ing your handgun into the bank.
    Amen! Sadly, that never happened. The other tellers and staff were present and there was another customer that walked in behind me that was filling out his deposit slips across from the teller windows.

Her intention was to embarrass..clearly. One of the tellers even whispered "I'm sorry" as Cecile was barking out legal nonsense. I have not returned to the bank yet...but have communicated via phone. She has referred me to TD Bank security but refuses to give me their direct contact information and told me to "expect a call"... I have yet to receive such a call.

We have setup new deposit accounts at another local bank in town that was happy to have our business. The manager was happy to have us lawfully carry in the bank. If you have Ocean Bank near you, I would suggest switching... they are primarily a New England bank, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by sirfarmer View Post
    We have setup new deposit accounts at another local bank in town that was happy to have our business. The manager was happy to have us lawfully carry in the bank. If you have Ocean Bank near you, I would suggest switching... they are primarily a New England bank, I believe.
    With the other bank happy to accept you as a customer knowing that you will legally OC there, and making a PUBLIC switch to that bank is probably the best chance to make an actual impact.

If it isn't public, they'll just say "hey, who cares about one account". But if they fear others hearing about this and changing, then they might re-consider.

Publicity changes everything.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by sirfarmer View Post
    She could not cite any federal law or statute to support her claim that I was breaking federal law.
    That's because there isn't one. Federal facilities owned and operated by the government for federal employees (offices or buildings) are off-limits for carry by federal law. These places include, but are obviously not limited to, the Post Office, IRS, Social Security Administration, Federal Courthouses, FBI Branches, and so on and so forth.

Clearly, a private bank is not federally owned nor operated. Some people are just so damn jittery.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

VIP Member
    Have you considered writing a letter to the CEO or Chairman? A respectfully written, clearly typed letter might do wonders. I would consider asking how, as a customer, should you feel about the bank after the treatment you received. I would also ask how can you trust a banking manager who blatently lied to a customer.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Have you considered writing a letter to the CEO or Chairman? A respectfully written, clearly typed letter might do wonders. I would consider asking how, as a customer, should you feel about the bank after the treatment you received. I would also ask how can you trust a banking manager who blatently lied to a customer.
    Yes, I have drafted a letter with a CC to the branch manager. Never did receive my phone call nor letter from TD Bank security advising me of their policies.

While I believe the branch manager was acting in the interest of the branch, her tactics and actions emphasize the need for training and education on the subject.

Next time make sure you are available when there is a bank robbery and she and you are both victims.

When she has a gun pointed to her head. Ask her " Now do you wish you hadnt demanded I disarm?"
    Not sure if i would ask that question where the bank robbers could hear me.

Unless someone is killed, injured or you are sure one or the other is going to occur, be cool and be the perfect witness.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Not sure if i would ask that question where the bank robbers could hear me.

Unless someone is killed, injured or you are sure one or the other is going to occur, be cool and be the perfect witness.

Spot on mate.

Quote Originally Posted by gdm320
    That's because there isn't one. Federal facilities owned and operated by the government for federal employees (offices or buildings) are off-limits for carry by federal law. These places include, but are obviously not limited to, the Post Office, IRS, Social Security Administration, Federal Courthouses, FBI Branches, and so on and so forth.
    Actually Post Offices are not considered federal facilities as defined in 18 USC 930. Firearms are NOT prohibited in Post Offices by 18 USC 930 (the federal facilities statute). Firearms ARE prohibited in Post Offices by 39 CFR 232.1(l). Nothing in 18 USC 930 applies to the Post Office.

Just an update. I went in to the branch on Friday afternoon. Cecile was in the lobby and I thought there would be an issue, as I was open carrying again. She was pleasant and courteous - no confrontation. She even said "good to see you here again"...

I suspect the phone calls, emails, and letters worked.

Thank you to those who supported the cause.

that is a good thing. I glad it worked out.

I hope the business you work for has some "strong numbers" in terms of business with that bank. If that's the case, upper management with the bank will tell her to zip her mouth shut rather than lose your business.

If you have the influence to get your business to change banks, I'd likely do that immediately to add an exclamation point to your displeasure with being treated the way you were!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Hopefully life can go on 'normally' now...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I had a problem like that at the local grocery store. I use to work on a farm and I was getting paid to kill crows so I brought my air gun to shoot them. Well after 7 hours of killing birds you get hungry so I walk into the store got some snack food and walked to the counter to pay and the manager and like 5 workers walk up to me and ask to see my CWP which I then informed them that since it was a air gun and was visabile that I did not have to have a CWP to carry it. Well the sheriff was in the store and they called him over .... 30 mins later after he explained that it wasn't illegal for me to carry a air gun into store and that he knows me and knows that I wouldnt do anything illegal with it. The manager then said I had to leave and that I couldnt even buy my food. So I talked to my parents and we called the main office and talk to some and they made the manager write me a letter of apology and sent me a 100$ gift check. moral of the story fight for your right to bare arms no matter how small they are.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links