Do you change holsters to accomodate OC vs CC?

This is a discussion on Do you change holsters to accomodate OC vs CC? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying a gun practically 24/7 for nearly 20 years as a LEO. For the past 2/3rds of my career, my job has generally ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you change holsters to accomodate OC vs CC?

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar

Do you change holsters to accomodate OC vs CC?

I've been carrying a gun practically 24/7 for nearly 20 years as a LEO. For the past 2/3rds of my career, my job has generally required concealed carry as opposed to open carry (duty belt). In my current job, I do sometimes wear what is commonly referred to as a "soft uniform", which is 5.11 style pants and a polo shirt with my agency badge/logo on it. When I wear that, I open carry without a concealment garment. I am also sometimes required to wear a "tactical uniform", which consists of BDU's and a tactical belt.

Normally, when I carry concealed (on or off duty), I carry in an open top owb scabbard of one sort or another. However, when I wear a "soft uniform" and open carry, I wear a holster with a retention device (thumb release). If I'm wearing a "duty belt", the holster also has a retention device (rotating hood). As a LEO, from the day you start training, "weapon retention" is drilled into your brain. Twice, back when I was a patrol officer, I had suspects try to disarm me by pulling my pistol from the holster. Not just half-hearted tugs, but serious, determined attempts to take my weapon from the holster during a fight. Obviously, an exposed weapon is a more tempting target in a fight (that statement is not an indictment of open carry...simply a tactical observation). If I'm grappling with you and I can see your weapon, I'm much more likely to try and take it. Again, please let me make this clear: I do not say that to discourage OC in any way. If it is legal, I support your right to do it 100%!

Which leads me to my question: Do you use a different hoslter when you open carry as opposed to when you carry concealed? If so, what is the primary difference? Is it for decorative or safety reasons?

Thanks,
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

2. Remove Ads

i carry OC and CC with my M&P40 in a serpa it has active retention, when i carry my keltec OC(pretty much never) or CC i use the Belt clip
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Which leads me to my question: Do you use a different hoslter when you open carry as opposed to when you carry concealed? If so, what is the primary difference? Is it for decorative or safety reasons?
    First time I open carried, I used my usual IWB holster but with my shirt tucked in behind it and Glock exposed. Had to be in Kansas on visit to do that. If I lived in a state where OC was allowed, and I chose to do so most of the time, I'd more than likely be going with my OWB holsters in my usual winter mode for my area.

Yes, I do. I carry OWB in both cases, but when I am carrying concealed I will carry in an open top pancake style OWB holster. When I am carrying open I will use a Serpa holster from Blackhawk.

I do this for security reasons, it gives me a little extra “peace of mind” knowing that, if somebody does try to take it away, at least I am not making it easy for them.

Well I want to get one of those Pure Kustom holsters which are IWB and OWB, and they look very professional.

but I do like the Raven Concealment holsters because they hug your body tight

FWIW
    I find the Black Ops pro IWB with my G19 in it, is more comfortable than the MTAC with the G26.
    I use it inside and outside.
    Last edited by ICIMP; July 26th, 2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: To finish my thought

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Yes.

CC--IWB Crossbreed Supertuck.
    OC--OWB Blackhawk Serpa

For OC, I like the extra retention on the Serpa.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Nope.

No matter if I am carrying concealed or openly, I use the same holster, my Blackhawk SERAP.

I believe in keeping it simple, same holster, same movements to release the gun, no having to remember which holster I have on if everything goes bad.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I typically don't open carry, even though New Mexico law allows it. As you stated, a visible weapon makes a tempting target. For concealed carry I use either a Milt Sparks VM-II for my Kimber .38 Super or a HBE Com III for my S&W 3913.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I have leather OWB holsters for open carry. Neither has retention (speed scabbard type) but I may change to a retention type holster in the future. For concealed carry, I sometimes use the same holster with a shirt or jacket over it, especially when my diet isn't working and there isn't room in the pants for IWB. If I plan to CC and can't have the shirt hanging out, I'll pocket carry or use a Supertuck.

The main reason for retention (disarming during struggle) is far more likely to happen to a cop than an OC'ing civilian because we won't be attempting to subdue and handcuff a bad guy.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

To this question I have to say yes & no.

OC
    When I'm in uniform traveling to & from work I normally carry my G26 in an Uncle Mike's Kydex holster. This holster has great retention and fits my duty belt perfectly.
    When I'm off duty I do occasionally OC with my G26 in a (OWB) Bianchi Snaplok #84. This holster has great retention as well.

CC
    I normally carry my G26 in either my Bianchi Snaplok #84 (OWB) or my DiSantis Cozy Partner (IWB). Both these holsters are very comfortable to wear. They hold my handgun snugly against my body.
    Last edited by Pikachu711; July 26th, 2009 at 09:39 AM.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

VIP Member
    I use the same holster whether OC or CC, Tucker Cover Up IWB. Since 99% of my OC involves restaurants, just do a VA tuck and carry on with my business.

Rock Island .45 with a 3 1/2" barrel and a supertuck IWB for CC. If I decide to OC in a state where legal then I still use the same holster. Although, IL has yet to let their subjects (err I mean citizens) CC...there will be a CC for IL one day.

Open carry in a Serpa at 1:30 position.
    Concealed carry in a crossbreed Qwik clip also at 1:30 position.
    Both are set up for cross draw. Pistol is a XD40. Two spare mags in a UM double carrier at 5:30 position. Yes, I'm a lefty.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Like many folks that OC I too use a Blackhawk Serpa when open carrying. When I carry concealed I either use my DeSantis Speed Scabbard or Galco shoulder holster. Sometimes during the colder months I will use my Serpa for concealed carry as well. I did buy a Blackhawk LE Level II Serpa holster and attached it to an Uncle Mike's duty belt and will be using it as my winter OC setup so I can open carry with a jacket. I should look into getting a Level III holster though.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links