Pretty typical for here

Pretty typical for here

This is a discussion on Pretty typical for here within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a call yesterday from a friend. She told me that an animal of some kind had come into her yard and had killed ...

Thread: Pretty typical for here

Pretty typical for here

I got a call yesterday from a friend. She told me that an animal of some kind had come into her yard and had killed all of her chickens and a pet rabbit, which were in two separate pens.

And she asked me to go investigate a bit to see if I could tell what it was.

I almost always open carry, and yesterday was no exception. I went up to the friends house a few blocks away, and saw an LEO's vehicle in the driveway.

I thought about leaving my OC'd handgun in the truck, but didn't want to...so I didn't.

I went into the back yard to find her, her boyfriend, and an LEO talking in the back yard. I went over and looked the tracks and torn up pen over a bit, and then we all went to the neighbor's house where more chickens and a few turkeys had been killed the night before.

The officer (CCSO, or Cochise County Sheriff's Office) gave her some advice on her right to defend her critters, and finally left.

A large dog is the culprit, and judging by tracks and hair that I found, it might have been a pit bull from a nearby residence.

No mention was ever made about my handgun by the officer or anyone else. It drew no more concern than the cell phone or Leatherman Wave tool that I also carry on my belt.

This is pretty typical in my area and the LEO's who work here. They understand the laws, and are very accepting of law abiding citizens being armed.

It disappoints me a great deal to read of other areas in this country where LEO's have a completely different attitude towards firearms owners who choose to take responsibility for their own safety. These LEO's should realize, more than anyone else, that they can't be everywhere, all the time, to protect every citizen who might need protection.

Perhaps they don't really care, and are more inclined to push their "authority" on others who honestly present no threat to them? I can understand a bit of caution when encountering a citizen with a gun, but there's no reason to abuse that person's rights.

It's sorta like my sister (an RN) once told me about working with AIDS patients. Most of her co-workers are very nervous around someone who's HIV positive, but she says it's not the ones you KNOW that have it that will get you.

Same holds true of firearms owners.

Daryl

I like the way THAT officer thinks.
    Sorry about the animals, someone may have to catch the culprit 'in the act'...then

Stay armed...stay on guard...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Very good interaction with LEO. Good to hear that there are places in the country other than where I live with this is the norm.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

This is pretty typical in my area and the LEO's who work here. They understand the laws, and are very accepting of law abiding citizens being armed.

It disappoints me a great deal to read of other areas in this country where LEO's have a completely different attitude towards firearms owners who choose to take responsibility for their own safety. These LEO's should realize, more than anyone else, that they can't be everywhere, all the time, to protect every citizen who might need protection.

Perhaps they don't really care, and are more inclined to push their "authority" on others who honestly present no threat to them? I can understand a bit of caution when encountering a citizen with a gun, but there's no reason to abuse that person's rights.
    Well, it's like this..........other areas of this country folks stereotype a bit more on just about any reason you can think of. Those that are insecure in themselves are usually the culprits and attempt to push their ways upon others in a dominant sort of way. Things are changing though, one community at a time, and we are the means by which it's changing. All in due time, and good things and peace of mind come to those who are patient and display good morals, attitude, and character.

Quote Originally Posted by DarylW View Post
    The officer (CCSO, or Cochise County Sheriff's Office) gave her some advice on her right to defend her critters, and finally left.
    So what did the officer say to do?

Im glad you had a good interaction with the LEO. I have noticed in AZ not to many people even care that your OC'ing. I love that. i have never had one issue with it. and the gas station that i frequient is crawling with MCSO (maricopa county sherriff's office) they use it as a staging point or something. but i have yet to even have one glance in my direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett4x4 View Post
    So what did the officer say to do?
    He told her that she can shoot the dog in the act of killing her animals, as long as she doesn't hit any unintentional targets. That's a tough one, because she has lots of neighbors.

He also said he'd get ahold of animal control, and have them bring her a live trap ASAP (perhaps monday (today)). If she traps the animal, she's supposed to call them to come get it since it's their trap.

He and I politely disagreed just a bit on Arizona statutes concerning a point or two, but that's either because of very recent changes, or because of the opinion of a liberal judge, since he was basing his opinion on a case rather than what ARS statutes say.

It made for a short but interesting discussion, and perhaps we both learned a bit from it.

To clearify, the disagreement had to do with the victim's right of pursuing an animal after witnessing the animal doing the killing of livestock or other animals on the victim's property. Az Statutes say that the victim is allowed by law to pursue the animal and kill it, but the officer said there's a judge in Wilcox who ruled against this.

I don't know the case, but I do know what the statute says...or used to say, since my own information might be changed in very recent times. Something I'll have to look up, I reckon.

:)

Daryl

I hope they find the culprit. Good luck.

Links