I'll admit it...I'm a little fearful about OCing

This is a discussion on I'll admit it...I'm a little fearful about OCing within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been reading posts about people OCing around their towns and how people looked at them and didn't mind...but I've got to be honest...I seriously ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'll admit it...I'm a little fearful about OCing

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

I'll admit it...I'm a little fearful about OCing

I've been reading posts about people OCing around their towns and how people looked at them and didn't mind...but I've got to be honest...I seriously doubt that would happen around here. Living just outside of Denver, there is a very large hispanic population and a huge gang presence just a few miles from where I live. Me being a hispanic male, I already deal with the stares and uncomfortable looks in certain places I go to. This is not to say people around me are prejudiced or discriminatory, some simply are just nervous.

I'd like to OC, as I believe it is legal here in Lakewood (but not in Denver), but I really don't know that it would be so uneventful as other members have experienced.

Am I just being paranoid? Should I be this worried about something I know nothing about? I've never seen ANYONE OC around here, so that also has me hesitant about it. When I lived in PHX, it was a very regular occurrence seeing someone with a gun on their hip. I figure if I haven't seen anyone carrying...there must be a reason. Right?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Dunno, but chances are if you're OC'ing, and you act normal -- you know, walk tall, make eye contact, smile, say hi, be polite, etc...you're not going to make anyone as jumpy as if you OC and act all weird, like you have something to hide.

Plus, do most gang members OC? I thought they wore their pants around their knees and hid their guns, or just held them in their hands.

I think if you're not dressing all "gang" and are properly holstered, folks will assume everything's fine, or not even take notice anyhow for the most part. Of course, I'm liable to be completely wrong here too.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

If OC is legal where you are, perhaps a discussion with a couple of ranking officers at the police and sheriff's offices would help.

If they're absolutely aware of the legalities and can articulate what their policy and training dictates with respect to such calls for "man with gun!" then you'll probably be fine.

If, however, they don't have the first flipping clue about how to intelligently distinguish between actual threats and knee-jerk, bed-wetting type who calls out of bare fear, then you'll probably be better of simply concealing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Look up jahwarrior, he may be able to help you in this area. If I'm not mistaken he has been givien a hard time because he is Hispanic I believe. As far as I know he open carries in PA without a problem. Shoot him a PM.

Hi pcon,

I'm all for open carry rights, and I enjoy open carrying myself, but if I had to worry about LEO encounters, and people staring, or sheep scattering, I'm not sure I'd do it. I'd just conceal and deal with any inconvenience it may offer.

In your area (close to Denver), folks tend to be pretty liberal minded. A bit south of you, around the Springs, open carry wouldn't bother me so much. In Salida or Saquache, it wouldn't bother me at all.

I wouldn't do it to make a statement, but perhaps for comfort and educational reasons if you have the time to explain to folks who don't understand. As mentioned above, talk to some area LEO brass and see how they deal with such things, and then make a decision from there.

In my area, OC is readily accepted, but that's an Arizona thing (as you pointed out). A person has to adapt to what's accepted in the area they're in, and if in doubt then I tend to CC rather than risk problems I don't want.

Daryl

There is no reason to be apprehensive about OCing if you are perfectly legal to do so. Let others think what they may, and look like they do. It shouldn't affect your life...only you are in control of that. If I worried what others did or thought about what I choose to do, I'd never go anywhere.

I would give a look-see at opencarry.org...there you will find many OC stories....some good, some bad. The key is to know the laws of your state and of the local community (I'm not sure if CO has state pre-emption).
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I have only OC’ed in Lakewood once. I was there for a training and didn’t have my permit yet. Mostly it was back and forth between the building and the car before, after and during lunch break. Didn’t have any problems, but like I said, I wasn’t really “out and about”.

I do know that here in Broomfield they prefer that you not OC. They will stop and “talk” to you. They won’t harass you, but they will check you out and if you have a permit they will ask you to do a better job of covering it. As soon as they have made sure that you are not a BG and are not up to any mischief they will wish you a good day. But as I said they would prefer that you CC if you have a permit.

If OC is legal in your area, find another like minded individual and go about your errands while open carrying. You may also wish to have some non-OC people with you.

Another alternative is to organize an open carry litter pick-up and pick up trash. Other than on the police radios, we've never been harassed doing a litter pick up.
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

I think it has its place, and by all means exercise that right when and if you can. Personally, I prefer to look peaceful & normal, yet become death, the destroyer of worlds at the drop of a hat.

Just my personal preference.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Dunno, but chances are if you're OC'ing, and you act normal -- you know, walk tall, make eye contact, smile, say hi, be polite, etc...you're not going to make anyone as jumpy as if you OC and act all weird, like you have something to hide.

Plus, do most gang members OC? I thought they wore their pants around their knees and hid their guns, or just held them in their hands.

I think if you're not dressing all "gang" and are properly holstered, folks will assume everything's fine, or not even take notice anyhow for the most part. Of course, I'm liable to be completely wrong here too.
    Good point, Bunny.
    pcon: My first (all day) OC on Saturday went normally, I think, because I didn't - consciously - do anything different than I normally would. Demeanor has much to do with how it perceived by others.
    If anything, OCing makes me more aware to be polite and respectful.

I on occasions oc around Denver but never in the city. I try to look professional. My carry gear resembles duty gear, belt, holster and double mag carrier all of the same color. I have yet to be approched by anyone yet. If you oc in Lakewood be careful and make sure you don't stray into Denver. The lines are not clear.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    , do most gang members OC? I thought they wore their pants around their knees and hid their guns, or just held them in their hands.
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Although I don't OC, if it is legal and you want to go for it. However, it can be seen from various posts that you might get hassled by the law or other people who don't like guns or are frightened by them.

Be prepared to keep your cool and it might not be a bad idea to have a condensed copy of the applicable law.

Regards,
    Jerry

Different areas of the country have differing attitude towards OC. Here in South West Tennessee, it is not uncommon at all and no one has ever freaked out or even said anything disparaging about me or my wife OC'ing.

I can't tell you to go a head and do it because I don't know what the attitude of your area is like. You have to make up your own mind. But I can suggest you go to OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost! and read the section on their forum dedicated to Colorado and see what people there think.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links