Can an IL Resident(with valid FOID) OC in MI?

This is a discussion on Can an IL Resident(with valid FOID) OC in MI? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are there any FOID holding IL residents that have OC'd in MI? I was asking about an IL resident OCing in WI on a local ...

Thread: Can an IL Resident(with valid FOID) OC in MI?

Are there any FOID holding IL residents that have OC'd in MI? I was asking about an IL resident OCing in WI on a local forum because of Wisconsin's Attorney General recently announcing that peacefully carrying a holstered firearm in open sight by law-abiding citizens is allowed in WI and someone said this:

Until recently Michigan was the only state that a resident could OC without a permit but a non resident could not due to a handgun safety inspection requirement. MI has now changed the law so if your state issues a permit/license to possess, carry or transport a firearm you can now OC in Michigan. WI residents can not OC in Michigan because WI issues no permit/license at all. Illinois has the FOID which does meet the MI standard.

Have any FOID holding IL residents OC'd in MI and been stopped by police? If so, what happened? Any troubles?

I go to MI once or twice a year because I have family out there and have been considering OCing when there, but I need further confirmation that this would be fully legal.

Thanks folks!

Quote Originally Posted by RXtion View Post
    Are there any FOID holding IL residents that have OC'd in MI? I was asking about an IL resident OCing in WI on a local forum because of Wisconsin's Attorney General recently announcing that peacefully carrying a holstered firearm in open sight by law-abiding citizens is allowed in WI and someone said this:

Have any FOID holding IL residents OC'd in MI and been stopped by police? If so, what happened? Any troubles?

I go to MI once or twice a year because I have family out there and have been considering OCing when there, but I need further confirmation that this would be fully legal.

Thanks folks!
    I believe it would be legal although there are a bunch of pitfalls in MI if you don't have a conceal license.

can't get into a car
    can't carry into a business that sells alcohol (gas stations, Target etc:)

Also you should read, understand and memorize most if not all of this LINK and this LINK.

Good question?

Michigan.

HA! um... well... sure you can OC in Michigan. Just as anyone in Michigan can. There is always the possibility that someone might report you to the cops. and you could be charged with brandishing (felony) sit in jail for a day or two, go to court (better get an expensive lawyer just in case) and then have the judge throw it out because OC is not brandishing. but then you've wasted a couple days, and a couple thousand dollars to OC. heaven forbid you get a judge who proceeds to charge you with brandishing, and then you get to say bye bye to guns forever. Who wouldn't want to CC after taking all that into consideration? They no longer require a safety inspection, so if that was the only hinderence you should be good.

(8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.

(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).

(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.

(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.

(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state.

(9) An individual who is a nonresident of this state shall present the license described in subsection (8)(a) upon the demand of a police officer. An individual who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Interesting. I guess I just don't understand OC. Is that walking down the street, of Detroit let's say, with a holstered gun stapped on your hip??

Open carry is open carry. If you can see the gun, it's open carry.

In MI, open carry in a vehicle is by law considered concealed (you can't see it from outside the vehicle readily) and a CPL is required to OC in a vehicle. Loose practice has stated in or on a motor vehicle to encompass snowmobiles, ATVs, motorcycles, etc even though the weapon may be truly exposed, a CPL is required. No test case has been up that I'm aware of.

So yes, holster up a gun and walk down the street is open carry. If you can see an actual gun on someone's person, that is OC. Printing is not OC, it is poorly executed concealed carry. Get in/on a motor vehicle it's concealed carry.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Well in all my years - - -

I have seen it a gun shows, but never someone walking down the street. I traveled extensively while gainfully employed in most the states in CONUS and never saw such a thing.

Gotta drive the Liberals crazy.
    But just another sign most US citizens are conservative.

OCing in Virginia happens all the time...I've never had a problem...someone going to jail for OCing is rare (unless they already doing something illegal...)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

An Illinois FOID is irrelevant outside of Illinois.

What would be relevant is a recognized CCW credential of some sort, either Michigan (if they issue non-resident credentials) or some other out of state credential recognized by Michigan.

If you have a recognized CCW credential, you're covered regardless when open carrying where it's lawful to do so. You won't have to worry about whether your "open carry" is open ENOUGH.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    An Illinois FOID is irrelevant outside of Illinois.
    Not entirely true.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

1943 - 2009
    Tubby, you have a habit of posting messages like this. Please explain to the members why the quoted post is "not entirely true."

Thank you.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Tubby, you have a habit of posting messages like this. Please explain to the members why the quoted post is "not entirely true."

Thank you.
    That's because the information is already in the thread yet has been neglected to be read. I didn't feel the obligation to explain farther seeing as how it was already explained.
    (8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.

Blah, blah, blah, not pertinent...
    According to MI law, the FOID card, if needed to purchase, transport, or possess a pistol in the state in which it is issued, is honored in MI for nonresident possession of a pistol. This just so happens to mean that the FOID card is in fact valid outside of Illinois, contrary to the post/opinion by/of Deanimator.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Thanks for the info folks! You've been extremely helpful!

So, are there any FOID holding IL residents who have OC'd in MI?

In Virginia can you OC if you are not a resident? i have searched this on google with nothing. I understand that you can get a Non-resident permit, thats not what i am looking for.
    Last edited by joe26; August 4th, 2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: added stuff

Sponsored Links