Interesting conversation at a firearms store...

This is a discussion on Interesting conversation at a firearms store... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had some time to kill the other day, so I stopped my my local firearms dealer I wanted to check out their selection of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting conversation at a firearms store...

Interesting conversation at a firearms store...

I had some time to kill the other day, so I stopped my my local firearms dealer I wanted to check out their selection of holsters for my upcoming XD .40 purchase. One of the employees asks me if I need any help and so I asked him what he had for XD .40 IWB and OWB. He asked me if I carried, and I said yes. While we were discussing the holster options, he mentioned that the OWB holster I was looking at would print pretty bad. I told him that the OWB was for OC anyway, so that didn't matter. He then proceeded to tell me that he didn't think that OC was a good idea. I told him that I know that some people have that opinion. After he showed me another holster he told again that he thought it was a bad idea to OC. He said it would hurt Michigan legislation, and that if everyone OC'd it would scare people. I politely changed the subject, and we moved on. I then purchased gift certificates for range time and left. The real kicker to this whole situation is that he was OC'ing while we were having this conversation. If it weren't for the lack of options in my town, they probably would have lost my business. Out of all the OC'ing that I have done so far, I haven't had a stitch of trouble. I wasn't even carrying at all during this conversation. It just shocked me to be having this conversation in that type of an environment.

Dave

2. Remove Ads

Where was this?

Ironic isn't it. Telling you not to OC while OCing.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

It was extremely ironic. Not to mention that I took it as more of in insult to have someone that I would have taken for an educated professional to have this conversation with me.

It was at Freedom Firearms and Capital Ave. in Battle Creek. It's a smaller shop and there are two brothers who own/operate it. They have one employee. This happened with the employee, not the owner. The owner has been very instrumental in helping Michigan's gun legislation. He was the one who set up Michigan's section on packing.org back when it was up and running.

Dave

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I would speculate that the owners share the opinion of the employee. Or rather, that the employee adopted the owner's position.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

That very well may be the case. But they are running a business. I don't think that it was very professional to let their personal opinions to get in the way of a sale to law abiding citizen.

Most of the gun store employees I've seen oc while at work they could carry either way on there own time. Every one has an opinion . If you don't like it take it with a grain of salt.

no doubt. And while I guess that the owners have the same opinion, if they are smart, they aren't as quick to preach it to customers who come in the door.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    no doubt. And while I guess that the owners have the same opinion, if they are smart, they aren't as quick to preach it to customers who come in the door.
    For sure. I mean, the OC holster I was looking at was around $100. Does it make good business sense to talk me out of spending $100 at their store? Not a chance.

well, just like he was OC'in in the store, what's to say that you weren't planning on OC'in around the house, your private business, or out in the woods on a hike. So it doesn't matter what his opinion is, he should keep it to himself unless he felt you were going to do something illegal.

You should have asked the guy why the store carries the holster if they have political reasons why they don't want you to use it.

And with regard to his opinion - unsolicited opinions get you in trouble more often than not. Reminds me of a horse trainer I worked for in my younger days. I saw him walk right by customers (boarders) in the barn doing things wrong and not say a word about it. I asked him why he didn't correct them and he said, "you can tell them until you are blue in the face but until they ASK for your opinion and realize that they can't do it on their own, you are wasting your time."

In this case, the employee not only wasted your time, and his, but he lost credibility for himself and the store.

Who is John Galt?

Good post Tinkerin

I have recieved more flack for talking OC at a local gun shop than I have ever recieved actually OC'ing. Ironically, I made it a point to OC in there to pick up my ammo for my CCP class and not a word was said. Needless to say, I have taken most of my business elsewhere since. Gun shops are terrible places to get good gun law info. Half of what I have heard in there was either wrong or rumor.

One range / shop that I now try to avoid is because they have what seems to be , "their opinions" about all types of things and push them hard on their customers. I would bet most people around here are not generally in agreement with their opinions. Of course if you don't believe they are the experts in literally "everything", just ask them.

My favorite gun shop closed, now I have to give my money to someone that I don't like much ( or take a long drive).

He's probably required to OC as part of his job. At the store/range I frequent, the employees are all required to OC. The point is obviously to discourage robbery attempts. So that may be the case with your guy, I wouldn't say its ironic. It is stupid and bad business, but probably not ironic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links