What the Hey IS Open Carry

This is a discussion on What the Hey IS Open Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to this forum, and CC. Just got my CC this month. But have no idea what is being talked about here. Can someone please ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the Hey IS Open Carry

What the Hey IS Open Carry

New to this forum, and CC. Just got my CC this month.

But have no idea what is being talked about here. Can someone please guide me as to what is being discussed.

To me Open Carry is strapping a holstered gun on you hip, shoulder, wherever and walking down the street.

Please enlighten me.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum, and you git it I think, OCing is wearing a holster firearm in open view of others while CCing is keeping it concealed.

Seriously, it's not rocket surgery....you have the gist--it's that simple....but subject to the laws of the individual state.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Open carry is simply carrying a sidearm that is not concealed and openly visible to others.

CPL

If you go back in history the people who Conceal Carry were considered the sneaky undesirables of the community. You were hiding your weapon to do no good!!!

While the open carrying citizens were considered the honest law abiding folk of the community

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Seriously, it's not rocket surgery....you have the gist--it's that simple....but subject to the laws of the individual state.
    The guys a newb why you gotta be sarcastic. And rocket surgery? Or rocket science.

I think your question has been answered already by some of the helpful members.

Good luck and ask away it is far better to ask and learn than to find out the hard way.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I think you answered your own question. Open carry is exactly as it sounds!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    The guys a newb why you gotta be sarcastic. And rocket surgery? Or rocket science.
    I think that is a cross between a brain surgeon and a rocket scientist??? Either way not called for on this post..

Feel free to ask any questions you need to VN,.... Ignore those that feel so superior they need to insult to answer the question,. . You'll get them in every crowd..

Welcome to the site. The longer you hang around the more familiar you'll become with the terminology.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Here is another good site to educate you about open carry.

OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

Scroll down to your state and let the learnin begin.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Open Carry = Freedom At least for those of us that don't need a permit to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by vn6869 View Post
    To me Open Carry is strapping a holstered gun on you hip, shoulder, wherever and walking down the street.
    That is it exactly.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Hey guys...I apologize for my post....it was just a flip remark
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

The reason OC has its own subforum here is that some members feel very strongly that open carrying gives up CC's tactical advantage of the bad guy (BG) not knowing that you're armed, while OC enthusiasts believe that a plainly visible holstered firearm has the advantage of convincing the BG to just leave you alone in the first place. Both probably have merit in different circumstances. We used to see long tirades discussing the relative merits of CC vs OC and getting off of the subject of the original posts. Now, its against the rules to disrespect OC in the OC forum so peace and harmony has been restored to the world of Defensivecarry.com.

One of the recurring themes you'll see in OC posts is about run-ins with law enforcement officers and business owners. Since an open carried firearm is on view, OC enthusiasts are more likely than CC'rs to be asked to leave businesses or have "man with a gun" calls made to the police, usually involving people who simply don't know the gunlaws in their state.

There is an open carry movement sweeping the country, and there are petition drives going on to legalize it in states where it is not already. Many OC'rs like the public to see their guns since it desensitizes them to the presence of guns in the hands of law abiding citizens, so there is a socio-political element involved in open carrying, in addition to self-defense.

I open carry on occasion, like walking up to a bank ATM. There, I want a big gun on my hip telling a lurking BG that it's probably smart to leave me alone and wait for the next victim. For that reason, I prefer walk up ATMs over drive-ups. I also open carry in restaurants that serve alcohol since Virginia makes it illegal to CC there.

That's OC in a nutshell. Try it; you'll like it.

I open carry to & from work when I'm in uniform. For the most part I don't get very few negative comments from people. I still don't OC when I'm just going about my daily business. I prefer CC the majority of the the time. I should OC once in awhile to make more people aware of their 2nd Amendment rights.

Has anyone given any thought to an "unofficial" OC one day each month? This would only apply to states where it was legal to do so all the same. We could select one day a month to see if there's enough interest in this type continuing type event.

Any thoughts on this subject? A DC "open carry" day each month? I wonder!

How about the 4th of each month. This way we can use July 4th, Independence Day, as a day to OC?
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links