Unusual OC day and a couple odd LEO encounters

This is a discussion on Unusual OC day and a couple odd LEO encounters within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Arisin Wind So what is the "unusual" and "odd" part? that his wife said 'you should have driven!' and the 55 dollar ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unusual OC day and a couple odd LEO encounters

Quote Originally Posted by Arisin Wind View Post
    So what is the "unusual" and "odd" part?
    that his wife said 'you should have driven!' and the 55 dollar ammo!!!

2. Remove Ads

$53 for 50 rounds of 9mm? It would make me think twice before shooting the BG.

Where to start. Red, Hickory is good but growing like crazy. Born and raised in Hildebran, moved for a while and back to stay.

NC, the bank is not posted, just did not feel like going in heeled yesterday. Figured a test run with the holster to see how it went.

I think the dollar was the cost to check me out as well, Stan.

Longbow, no it's not that bad. I was carrying in a holster and had to unholster to place the firearm on the dash. NC law says it needs to be in plain sight, dash or seat. I was sitting in the seat so the dash was the only place. And we took a different route just to stay out the DL check a second time. My CCP is coming and I can use that to keep it holstered and not worry about an officers opinion about if it was OC or CC.

The ammo was steep. I'm used to .45 and that has been the going range around here for a while. FMJ is coming down to a more reasonable level. But I paid $35 a box for .45 FMJ to take my CCP course. When nobody has it you do what you have to. Gonna send a few downrange to see how the Glock eats them and sit on the rest unless I need them.

Did not want one huge post but the saga continues today. I promise not to bore you with every carry story but I had another LEO encounter today. I have been out with surgery for a week with a lot of time on my hands. I need to get back to work so I can stay away from these.

I was front ended today at a light. A guy from out of state ran past the line at the stop light while towing a trailer and tried to back up. He backed right up over the bumper of my Toyota Tacoma with his trailered cadilac. Not much damage until I tried to open my hood to check the radiator. It would not budge. We pulled past the light and got over in a gravel pull off and I called HP.

Me and the other driver were talking in front of my truck as the officer pulled up. I did not have time to disarm as he apporached and was not about to until he arrived on scene anyway. I stepped around the front of my truck with my hands about chest high, pointed at my sidearm and asked if he wanted me to put it in my truck. Withouth missing a beat he said, "No, I'll take care of it." Before he finished the sentence he had closed the distance to me, had his hand on my holster, and immediately hit the lock on the Sherpa and had the Glock 19 in his hand. My thought was holy crap that was fast. He unloaded it and asked me to unlock my passenger door. He showed me that he put the pistol, clip and the +1 in the pipe on my seat. Then we locked the doors.

I've been in several different Terry Stop discussions on different boards lately. My thoughts are this. I called the HP to come investigate the accident. That puts me dealing with the officer on official business in an investigation. Maybe not strictly "crime afoot" but investigating a traffic accident. At that point we are being detained for the duration of the investigation anyway. In the cruiser he told me it was SOP to seperate the firearm from the subject during the investigation of the accident. He said tempers and heated arguments plus firearms could get bad. What are ya'll thoughts?

FWIW, we talked guns as much as we talked about the accident. All 3 of us in the patrol car talking shop about firearms. He said he had a Glock for his ankle rig and a Glock in 357 sig as his carry. When I asked him how he liked the 357 sig he proceeded to tell me he knew from experience it would go through a car. lol He complemented me on my firearm and made sure to tell me he was a strong supporter of my right to defend myself. We talked about cops not being there when it happens and coming in 15 minutes later to clean up and take notes. It had taken him 15 min to get there. He agreed and said it was unfortunate but that they occasionally where able to get somebody off the road before they did something to hurt somebody. There are a lot of bad situations with cops out there and I told him I did not think all cops looked at carry and defending yourself so well. But with 2 of these run ins in 2 days I'm pretty happy with some of the "Boys in Blue" on my side of the state. I'll get a bad one someday I'm sure. Like I said earlier, offset some of the I had a bad LEO encounter that comes up. Sometimes it ain't all bad.

Actually, it sounds to me like the officer handled things quickly and professionally. You could have helped by securing it yourself before he arrived.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Sounds good. Did you daughter go to the range in the first story? Or did you drop them off at home first?

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    and immediately hit the lock on the Sherpa
    You keep your Sherpa locked up? Betcha some Tibetan human rights org will be nipping at your butt, now...

Your Serpa, on the other hand, that's a different story!

John, there were 2 guys in the other vehicle. Figured I would stay armed till the officer got there. I did think about locking it up myself but decided not to. I had not gotten a good feel for the other fellas yet and decided to keep it on.

highoctane, I can't get her to shoot yet. The oldest is going to be 8 this month. She hikes, goes hunting with me, fly fishes some, but is not interested in shooting......yet. My wife will shoot with me when we can get the kids sitted and afford the ammo for both of us. Gonna put in some time with her after school starts.

Gas, you mean I have to carry my own gun now? Sheesh. Serpa, I keep forgetting that.

To me, it sounds like the cop did fine - you expected him to want you disarmed, it sounds like, and he didn't put your firearm in his car - he put it in yours for you. He didn't make you sit in the patrol car while he ran your gun's number (or your car's plates).

I grab the box that is weighted the same as my FMJ and about pass out at the price. $53.49 out the door for 50 rds. Ouch!!!
    Are the 50 rounds you purchased dipped in 14k GOLD? I know ammo prices have risen, but IMHO, the price you paid for a box of 9mm is WAY OUT OF LINE. JeeZ, I'm in NY, where just about everything (Ammo Included) is overpriced and a box of 45 acp ain't that much. Sorry to hear its so expensive in NC.

Where to start. Red, Hickory is good but growing like crazy. Born and raised in Hildebran, moved for a while and back to stay.

NC, the bank is not posted, just did not feel like going in heeled yesterday. Figured a test run with the holster to see how it went.

I think the dollar was the cost to check me out as well, Stan.

Longbow, no it's not that bad. I was carrying in a holster and had to unholster to place the firearm on the dash. NC law says it needs to be in plain sight, dash or seat. I was sitting in the seat so the dash was the only place. And we took a different route just to stay out the DL check a second time. My CCP is coming and I can use that to keep it holstered and not worry about an officers opinion about if it was OC or CC.

The ammo was steep. I'm used to .45 and that has been the going range around here for a while. FMJ is coming down to a more reasonable level. But I paid $35 a box for .45 FMJ to take my CCP course. When nobody has it you do what you have to. Gonna send a few downrange to see how the Glock eats them and sit on the rest unless I need them.
    Man...You need to learn the art of online ordering and/or gun shows. $35 per box of 50 FMJ...that's OUTRAGEOUS!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

If one of those cops gets a through and through with his FMJs and wounds or kills a bystander, they'll rethink that policy.

JD
    Administrator
    Uneventful? You made $1 didn't you?

Glad you had a good day! sounds great!
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Doesn't sound like a bad OC day at all to me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links